• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

-chw42-

Like a Boss
MuscleNerd said that we should give him at least a few days to try and figure this current problem out. So there's somewhat of an estimate.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
On iPTF, Chronic basically said that this exploit might render useless due to the signature checks and the inability to solve that problem. If it was him doing this right now, he would be looking for a new exploit. However, since the dev team is composed of professionals working in the engineering and programing fields, they know much more and are most likely going to crack it. However, time will tell.

Moose

Meta Moose
I hope so. It'd be unfair to create all of this hype just to say, "Sorry guys, ain't gonna happen." But I appreciate their effort obviously.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Well I got excited so it would be a shame if this exploit wouldn't be able to be put to use for the average people.

Sullivan

Well I saw the video, from the iphone-devs, did you guys see it? It looks promising.

They pretty much have everything ready, they just want to release a "QuickPWN" sort of gui application to do the work automatically.

Moose

Meta Moose
Well I saw the video, from the iphone-devs, did you guys see it? It looks promising.

They pretty much have everything ready, they just want to release a "QuickPWN" sort of gui application to do the work automatically.

If you had read the details and listened to the man in the video, you would know that they are experiencing problems with the JB.

Sullivan

Ya, I heard that he needs to make it so it stays in a permanent state where a computer is not longer needed. Or something along the lines of that.

Mister Chief

On iPTF, Chronic basically said that this exploit might render useless due to the signature checks and the inability to solve that problem. If it was him doing this right now, he would be looking for a new exploit. However, since the dev team is composed of professionals working in the engineering and programing fields, they know much more and are most likely going to crack it. However, time will tell.

Chronic also said he couldn't have even get the current exploit into a usable state. He is a smart guy but he is no where near on the same level as the dev team.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I've finally gotten around to writing a port of Small Physics Game to iPhone. I've got the back-end setup, or as close to it as possible at this second.

It's looking pretty good, but it will be a very graphics-basic game. But graphics don't matter, right? :blush:

Mister Chief

Just got my 2g in the mail along with some other goodies. :tup:

UPDATE:

Commenter said:
MuscleNerd- I don't care about when it will be released, but today on ipodtouchfans, King Chronic said that you guys will have to find another exploit. Is this true?

MuscleNerd said:
This is what we've been looking for for the past couple of days...a way to compromise the system lower than the level we're at, to break the tethering requirement.

If it takes too long to find (if we conclude that we're "stuck"), then we'll just release the tethered version and let you guys jump through the hoops needed to get it to work (and without us redistributing Apple software of course). But that would be a headache for everyone, so we're looking for something a lot easier to use than that.

Commenter said:
how long will you spend looking for a new exploit until you conclude you are "stuck"?

MuscleNerd said:
When we run out of ideas to try :)

Robby

Los Doyers!
I think it is just too much work to do at the current state of the jailbreak.

Hellcat

Contributor
I wonder why Apple locked up the iPod THAT good.... while failing on doing that on the iPhone 3G.

IMHO the iPhone should have more protection than the iPod.... why protect it at all, c'mon, let ppl do what they want, it's not like there'll be business killing ISOs floating around like on gaming consoles....

Mister Chief

It's called an exploit for a reason. It's not like apple left the key in the door.

And remember that the iPodT2G is that latest hardware iteration from Apple meaning they had time to learn from their mistakes.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Chronic's now on par with the Dev team. He's created his own payload called "0wnboot", which uses the arm_7 exploit, the same one used by the dev team. What's different about this exploit is that Chronic is now able to look at the bootrom, not just the fake one, or WTF 2.0. He hopes that the actual bootrom will contain older exploits that they can expose. It's all hypothetical right now, but it's better than no progress at all.

Chronic said:
I have been particularly quiet lately because I have been working with pod2g, ius, CPICH, westbaer, AriX, and some others on IRC to test this out.

We have had major success with the arm7_go exploit. We can not successfully get it to run unsigned code, so we are pretty much up to par with the devteam in regards to being able to patch out signature checks in RAM, and probably boot to a hacked filesystem, although that has not been tested yet as the most recent success came from a payload by me and ius that I have dubbed

Mister Chief

Except the dev team dumped the bootroom days ago and have been sifting through it since.

And they have actually proven that their exploit works by running unsigned apps.

But a little friendly competition never hurt anyone.