• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Are you homosexual? You might get banned from Xbox Live

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Most of the times Microsoft will suspend the account without much investigation, if enough people claim something they will suspend the account or ask the material to be removed. I'm interesed to see what happens in response to this.

PS: Gay is not slang

Exactly. You can get anyone banned as long as it gets enough reports, even if the reports aren't true or they did nothing wrong.

This just happened to be the case. Someone peaked into her profile, saw that she was gay, and then got a bunch of his friends to report her. We don't know whether she started the fire, fueled the fire, or did nothing but she got angry enough to start sending emails to make this a big enough story.
She just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
Well, I happen to be on both sides of the fence on this one.

Whoever tried to ban her just because of her sexual orientation is just plain disrespectful.

But on the other hand, her gamertag is basically just adding fuel to the fire. It is like asking to be offended.

Mister Chief

You can get banned for putting your sexual orientation anywhere in your xbox profile. No matter if it is heterosexual, homosexual etc. It is in the EULA.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Once again, the media blowing things way out of proportion and only providing one side of the story. Can't say I'm surprised. There was no discrimination involved due to sexual orientation being disallowed by the service's ToS that everyone agrees to when signing up to the service.

Nonetheless, only one side of the story is being reported and Microsoft did the right thing, in my opinion. Sometimes organisations need to act in a way that seems unacceptable to deal with a situation and Microsoft's decision not only reflects their enforcing their ToS but the right way to deal with this situation while avoiding utter chaos on their service (the bad media is just an unfortunate, yet pretty much unavoidable, side-effect of making the right decision).

Are you straight? Place that in your profile on Xbox Live and, provided Microsoft notices or someone cares enough to report you, you'll be banned. The sad thing about all this is that it would normally be highly unlikely for Microsoft to notice one profile violating their ToS but someone decided to report it. So, really, it's not Microsoft that's at fault, as much as the Microsoft haters out there would like to make people think is the case, it's the people on Xbox Live that get offended enough to report things. And so, it's our society and its general looking down on homosexuals that's the problem.

SeanyP

Who cares if you're a homosexual? I'd be equally annoyed if someone ran around telling everyone how hetero they were.

loook at meeeee, i'm straight!

But this is fucking outragous, how could a company as big as microsoft be so openly homophobic, it's prejudice isn't it?

Adiuvo

They aren't being homophobic, any description of your sexual orientation isn't allowed on your profile, like Mister Chief said.

Like others have said, if she was flaunting it or harassing other members, she deserved to be banned. Nobody wants to hear or deal with that.

oh2d

I don't think it is right for them to deny you the right to express your sexuality regardless of the EULA.

Moose

Meta Moose
I don't think it is right for them to deny you the right to express your sexuality regardless of the EULA.

I think it's perfectly sensible. Xbox Live is a gaming community, not Second Life. You play games with others, it's not for sharing your own personal information and chatting up potential internet-girl/boyfriends.

oh2d

I think it's perfectly sensible. Xbox Live is a gaming community, not Second Life. You play games with others, it's not for sharing your own personal information and chatting up potential internet-girl/boyfriends.

This is true, I just feel that it is slightly out of line for them to outright ban someone for expressing their sexual orientation. I can understand why they wouldn't want you to post that sort of stuff but it just feels wrong.

Cryox

Bro.

I lol at people who try to do that. especially some of the female players that i played with who were friends with the people i played with everytime i was on xbox (no offense to anyone)

Serideth

I'm with this guy on the matter:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikn1KSNoiaM&feature=channel[/YT]

Serideth

I disagree with that guy. Your sexuality does in a lot of cases determine who you are and the way you act...

Not when it comes to things video game based, being gay doesn't make you better or worse at capture the flag, nor doe it make you a better or worse team player.

Moose

Meta Moose
Not when it comes to things video game based, being gay doesn't make you better or worse at capture the flag, nor doe it make you a better or worse team player.

Of course not. I was under the impression he meant in real life. :)

Serideth

Of course not. I was under the impression he meant in real life. :)

He probably did, but in my opinion and in relation to gaming he's absolutly right.

To shine a different light on this situation, how would people react if someone had put "I'm a Christian who believes in God" in their profile. I expect they would, or do get a similar reaction from dick heads too.

But back on topic, if I was in an online game and all of a sudden a few people joined chasing this lesbian gamer and started yelling down the mic I'd be a bit pissed off with having to put up with it, I'm not saying it's right to ban someone because they're gay, but I think it's completly reasonable to ban someone if they're the reason that people who just want to play a game are having the experience ruined for them.