• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Firmware Update 2.60

twelve

I'm not dead
PlayStation.Blog Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

I haven't turned my PS3 on yet but I'm led to believe this has already gone live.

There isn't a full change log yet but the main features are:

• Photo Gallery - Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface.
  • Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Adiuvo

It went live about three hours ago in the US.

The slideshow feature is pretty nice, works well. I probably won't be using it often though, it's much easier to do with a mouse and keyboard.

Seth

MD Party Room
It live I download it now...

Hellcat

Contributor
DOES THAT MEAN IT CAN FINALLY PLAY ALL THOSE "UNSUPPORTED DATA TYPE" .AVIs?!?!?!?!?!?!

\o/

(sorry for the all-caps, but I'm so WOW if this were true :))

Brad

Yoshimi
DOES THAT MEAN IT CAN FINALLY PLAY ALL THOSE "UNSUPPORTED DATA TYPE" .AVIs?!?!?!?!?!?!

\o/

(sorry for the all-caps, but I'm so WOW if this were true :))

.mkv did not work for me. :( Only one I'm hoping for.

_Syn

That update took longer than I expected. Took me like .. 30 minutes.

Does anyone have a direct link to download the update file? The update is taking forever...

EDIT: I found a link here (translated), but it's from the Japanese site. Would it matter if I used this updater? The US site is still showing the 2.53 update.

user friendly

Does anyone have a direct link to download the update file? The update is taking forever...
It took me a while as well, about 20 minutes actually. Here's a tested direct link (not sure if you've downloaded it yet or not but I thought I'd give you the link anyway).

Just use this, I get all my mkv's to work flawlessly. You do need a wired connection if it's HD material though.

It is without a doubt, the BEST PS3 MEDIA SERVER created to date! The world must know... :angry:

Vee

Pretty crap update. I'd rather they kept these kind of minor upgrades untill they've got something big to release.

user friendly

I think it's a pretty smart update... for people who are just getting into the system anyway. Not having to have an account to see the store is a much better way of handling it. I bet a lot of people saw "sign up" and just scrolled past.

My girl loved the new photo gallery app but other than that it shouldn't have been mandatory.

Seth

MD Party Room
I kinda like it but it seems like a pain to use when you just want to show up a few photos . It be nice if they can view photos via a Media Server since who the hell saves photos on there ps3 over there pc?

I wish I had a sd card reader on my ps3....

twelve

I'm not dead
since who the hell saves photos on there ps3 over there pc?
People that don't want to wait for their PC to boot up just to back up some photos.
People that don't have card readers.
People that save wallpapers from the PSN store.

I used to fit into all of the above but I actually have a card reader on my PC now, yet I still backup most of my photo's to my PS3. It's far easier to show them to people with my PS3 than it is on my PC.

Just because you don't use something doesn't make it useless to everyone.

Seth

MD Party Room
People that don't want to wait for their PC to boot up just to back up some photos.
People that don't have card readers.
People that save wallpapers from the PSN store.

I used to fit into all of the above but I actually have a card reader on my PC now, yet I still backup most of my photo's to my PS3. It's far easier to show them to people with my PS3 than it is on my PC.

Just because you don't use something doesn't make it useless to everyone.

I was just wondering who did it that all...I just find it a pain to copy it to the ps3 then copy it to a flash drive then back to the computer.... Tho for showing people there no better way...

Seth

MD Party Room

Since the PlayStation 3 is now officially DivX licensed it may very well get DivX 7 (that does support MKV) support some time in the future. Or one can hope...

Btw have you tried MKV2VOB it works fine for me.

Additional Comment:
Also here a video showing off what sony added it work a watch..

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/232/0

I going to try this smile thing out.

Blackout

I hope they fixed that retarded glitch where whenever you're ingame and you reply to a message ,it freezes completely and the only way to exit out of it is to quit the game.

twelve

I'm not dead
I was just wondering who did it that all...I just find it a pain to copy it to the ps3 then copy it to a flash drive then back to the computer.... Tho for showing people there no better way...

I dont even bother copying to my pc afterwards. I've never printed a digital photo and i rarely upload any. Only really upload pics from my phone which i bluetooth straight to my mac.

Seth

MD Party Room
I dont even bother copying to my pc afterwards. I've never printed a digital photo and i rarely upload any. Only really upload pics from my phone which i bluetooth straight to my mac.

So your only copy is on your ps3? You dont ever back them up?

Brad

Yoshimi
It took me a while as well, about 20 minutes actually. Here's a tested direct link (not sure if you've downloaded it yet or not but I thought I'd give you the link anyway).

Just use this, I get all my mkv's to work flawlessly. You do need a wired connection if it's HD material though.

It is without a doubt, the BEST PS3 MEDIA SERVER created to date! The world must know... :angry:

My god it is. People try this thing

Thanks man works great so far.