• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

_Syn

On a 2G, I am not sure.

First generation, resetting won't. Restoring will.

Resetting does erase the jailbreak. I had to reset, 'cause I accidently left my Touch on last night beside me, and it drained the battery. Then I had to reboot using the GUI Jailbreak installer, it boot up, but all my music was erased, and the system files took 2GB of space of my Touch, so I reset the Touch and now it's all gone. But I'm jailbroken again. Hopefully the devs come out with the untethered jailbreak soon, I'm sick of doing this just so I can reboot.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
MuscleNerd's most recent comments are somewhat well, revealing.

He's planning to post a Qik video today demonstrating the use of a dongle that can boot your iPod touch up on location. In one of his twitter comments, he stated the following:

no today we'll show an example of dongle for ipt2g, not an untethered. Untethered carries implications for iPhone (our main goal).

Could that mean that they've found the exploit and that they don't want to make it public because Apple could then patch it on the next iPhone or does it mean that they haven't figured it out yet and that it would take too long, long enough for them to stop working on the iPhone? Who knows...

Robby

Los Doyers!
I think they just haven't found the untethered jalbreak.

Vee

Apple will always end up patching anything they do. If they're actually holding out for a new iPod/iPhone to be released, then hats off to them. They've thought it through and realised its more beneficial to hide the hack til a new model of the device comes out. Revealing it now will almost guarentee it being patched hardware wise in the next rendition.

mohaas05

Apple cannot ever patch redsn0w. It utilizes a flaw in the bootcode, which is stored in ROM (Consequently, this is also why it is tethered),

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Apple cannot ever patch redsn0w. It utilizes a flaw in the bootcode, which is stored in ROM (Consequently, this is also why it is tethered),

They can with a hardware change...

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM EST ----------

Apple's gone even further with this jailbreaking is illegal bullshit.

Now they want to make it a criminal offense where you can get 5 years of jail time and $2500 fine. GTFO, this must be a joke. Even Microsoft doesn't get this pissed off when they find people running burned games...

-chw42-

Like a Boss
5 years & $2500 fine for Jailbreaking? LOL. On what grounds do they declare jailbreaking illegal? It's your device, you should be able to do whatever you want with it (except piracy).

A really bullshit reason saying that jailbreaking allows applications such as Installous and P2P applications like MewSeek and dTunes. They call it as circumventing copyrights and destroying their "ecosystem". The same logic can be applied to a computer. Your computer OS (any OS) gives you the option to install applications like WinRAR and Firefox. With these tools, along with Google, you can pirate just about anything. Yet, I don't see Windows being deemed illegal or OSX being deemed illegal. It's a bullshit argument, one that they probably won't win.

mohaas05

How does Apple plan to enfore this anyways?

And besides, if they did catch you and send you a court order, you could just restore and erase all evidence of jailbreaking.

_Syn

They can with a hardware change...

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM EST ----------

Apple's gone even further with this jailbreaking is illegal bullshit.

Now they want to make it a criminal offense where you can get 5 years of jail time and $2500 fine. GTFO, this must be a joke. Even Microsoft doesn't get this pissed off when they find people running burned games...

Not if we don't buy it. :w00t:

Also, the jail time and the $2500 fine .. That is some bullshit Apple is using to scare us. We bought our devices, let us do whatever we want. Just because they started losing money since the 2.x firmware upgrade, fuck you Apple. Go fuck up another device, there are always gonna be dev teams ready to take on whatever you dish at them. :twisted:

_Syn

They didn't start losing money - and they definitely didn't fuck it up either.

They DID start losing money with all the apps that we "buy" through a certain "-ulous" application that we downloaded :blushing:

Vee

I'd actually love to see Apple go ahead and try enforcing this new idea. What are they going to do, run round in jeans and hippy t-shirts and try to lock us all up?