• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone OS 4.0 Wrap-up: What it Means for You

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I don't think they'll take it as far as that... they'd have to create a whole new section in the App store for themes and they would also have a massive amount of terribly poor made themes to go through, only to find the occasional decent theme in perhaps every hundred submitted?

Or they could create an app that would allow the use of your own pictures stored on the iDevice. They could have tabs at the bottom like the app store but instead of featured, top 25 etc, there would be one tab for selecting saved themes, one tab for selecting pics to use in your theme and saving them, one tab to access a community portal and one tab with the pixel sizes for each type of pictures and instructions on how to put them onto your iDevice. The community portal would have a top 50 list, most recent, and popular contributors.

Seth

MD Party Room
No ipod Touch 1g support :( Great now where did I leave my 2g Ipod Touch.

The lack of pre-3Gs multitasking is disappointing, but to be expected. Using backgrounder, max you can have is two apps running before having >10 MiB RAM. Although, once it would be fully supported, it may be better at managing memory, as it can unload the GUI data, whereas Backgrounder just has it running it in the backrgound.

Bah, iAd announced...advertisements are indeed coming

It better not use 3G data.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The lack of pre-3Gs multitasking is disappointing, but to be expected. Using backgrounder, max you can have is two apps running before having >10 MiB RAM. Although, once it would be fully supported, it may be better at managing memory, as it can unload the GUI data, whereas Backgrounder just has it running it in the backrgound.

It better not use 3G data.

It probally will and knowing Apple, there will be an update to the iTunes Store ToS that will basically say that Apple isn't responsible for data charges from the ads.

It probally will and knowing Apple, there will be an update to the iTunes Store ToS that will basically say that Apple isn't responsible for data charges from the ads.

Well, hopefully we can block it using the hosts file. :cool:. No way am I PAYING to see advertisements.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
The iphone has been out since 2007 and is just now getting the ability to have wallpapers.
There is something oddly funny about that.

TeamOverload

I don't really even see the point in a wallpaper on a screen that is completely covered with icons anyways. I also don't see why people are complaining about such pity things around here, got some serious Apple haters for whatever reason.

And for the record I know quite a lot of phones that don't have wallpapers in their menus, so I wouldn't say the iPhone is exactly the odd one out with that.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I don't really even see the point in a wallpaper on a screen that is completely covered with icons anyways. I also don't see why people are complaining about such pity things around here, got some serious Apple haters for whatever reason.

And for the record I know quite a lot of phones that don't have wallpapers in their menus, so I wouldn't say the iPhone is exactly the odd one out with that.

All the more reason why it's funny. It's a such a petty feature yet they took 3 years to implement it. :huh:

But I suppose not praising apple all the time makes me a hater.

TeamOverload

All the more reason why it's funny. It's a such a petty feature yet they took 3 years to implement it. :huh:

But I suppose not praising apple all the time makes me a hater.

I'm not saying you need to praise them, but I'm just saying, I don't understand why people are saying it should have had this feature years ago. Do you really care if what equates to a menu doesn't have a customizable wallpaper, same as the majority of phones out there? A good 75% of the screen real estate is covered by icons anyways.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm not saying you need to praise them, but I'm just saying, I don't understand why people are saying it should have had this feature years ago. Do you really care if what equates to a menu doesn't have a customizable wallpaper, same as the majority of phones out there? A good 75% of the screen real estate is covered by icons anyways.

Well most smartphones have customizable backgrounds and multitasking, that's why people have been complaining. Windows Mobile has had copy & paste, multitasking, customizable backgrounds, etc for a long time.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran

I'll give you that, a large portion of the iphone's screen is made up of icons.

Majority of phones? Name some of these other $600 smartphones that don't let you change the homescreen wallpaper?

I don't know what you're talking about, my iPod touch has had a wall paper for years.

So does my friends prepaid TracFone, and he didn't have to hack it or wait three years.

Hellcat

Contributor
I have an iPhone pretty much since the beginning and while it is kinda nice, overall it's a huge fail.

Apple cut it down too much IMO, can't even set a WP (yes, it's those tiny features that make an *every day* device neat), the BT is as good as not at all used.... meh, and so many issues more.

And before ppl start screaming "if you find it so fail, why not sell it and get a different phone" - that's what I'm just doing.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
I just downloaded 4.0 as a developer, and I can say that it's basically what it should have been at launch. Everything, including multitasking, is fast and elegant, and all the expected features are finally included. If you have any questions on the beta I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Apple updates iPhone 4.0 SDK agreement to block Flash CS5, Mono touch, cross-compilers | TiPb

Fun.

What's with all the Apple hate? *looks at above link*

Aah ... now I get it.

WHY.

Seriously. Objective-C is such a marginal language, and so is the Cocoa API. This just excludes developers. And it kills things like the Unity3D engine. Let people use languages they know and are skilled with, like Java and C#.

I use my iPhone practically everyday and love it, but these backward policies only hold it back. Jailbreaking the device is now becoming more of a necessity.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
WHY.

Seriously. Objective-C is such a marginal language, and so is the Cocoa API. This just excludes developers. And it kills things like the Unity3D engine. Let people use languages they know and are skilled with, like Java and C#.

I use my iPhone practically everyday and love it, but these backward policies only hold it back. Jailbreaking the device is now becoming more of a necessity.

Java and C# apps are shit. Objective-C is so close to Java, it hardly takes any skill to learn. It's much better to learn the most supported language anyway. It's really not too much of an adjustment to learn Objective-C, I think you can deal with it.

B

Bizarre

Pretty stupid that Apple drops support for half of their customers, last time I buy anything from apple.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Pretty stupid that Apple drops support for half of their customers, last time I buy anything from apple.

That's the way that the technology industry goes. They can't keep up support for products that were released over 3 generations ago now. 4th gen iPhone is just around the corner.

To be fair, Apple have shown a lot more support for their products than a lot of other companies. They could of just left the iPhone OS the same as it was back at 1.0 but they've constantly come up with new features and ideas to include in the OS. Not many of them are that original but there's the effort there and they always try to make sure they're doing it the best they can with the limited resources of the phones.

As it's been said before in this thread I think, the reason Multitasking was excluded from the original iPhone and iPhone 3G was the lack of RAM. The iPhone 3g has a total of 128MB of RAM IIRC while the 3Gs has 256MB. It's just a pity they didn't think to use some of the onboard flash memory as swap space.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Java and C# apps are shit. Objective-C is so close to Java, it hardly takes any skill to learn. It's much better to learn the most supported language anyway. It's really not too much of an adjustment to learn Objective-C, I think you can deal with it.

Objective-C is nothing like Java, at least what makes it Objective-C. Java is based on C++, so yes, it has inherent similarities because Objective-C is just C with a bunch of smart-talk-like additions, but they're still really different, and a lot of the shortcuts that people learned in Java class do not work at all in C or C++, thus making it hard to learn. I know even though I know a portion of C, C# or Java is way different, just the overall structure of how they code, like what you do in C is in no way what you do in C#, and vice-versa.

The "deal with it" part is a huge turn-off to devs. Huge.