• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Outrageous Religious Beliefs

Adiuvo

Not all of that is supposed to be taken literally. And where does it say to hate your parents? A common theme of the bible is to love everyone, even enemies.

xploren

Contributor
They probably do it because, if I remember correctly, there is some verse that says to spread the word of God in the Bible?? I'm not sure. But it sounds familiar.

The thing I don't get is that people pick and choose the things to follow in the Bible. They don't follow it as a whole.
There are several verses in the Bible in which you are told you gotta do some things to be accepted to heaven.
Things like
-Sell everything you have.
-Honor your parents.
-Hate your parents, wife, children, everyone!
-Eat Jesus's flesh and blood..?Wtf?
-Stone the people that work on Sundays to death.

And probably alot more that I can't think of right now.
And then the parts where it tells you to pray and anything you wish for will happen..
O RLY?
Sorry, I just think that's a little funny.

What Adiuvo said.

Also, spreading it is fine, I guess. But forcing people to believe in God by any means necessary is, in my opinion, evil.

Zx30

Beto
Not all of that is supposed to be taken literally. And where does it say to hate your parents? A common theme of the bible is to love everyone, even enemies.

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters,yes, even his own life, he can not be my disciple...In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has can not be my disciple."

And why aren't we supposed to take it literal? This is the word of God. He knows what he's saying since he's all powerful and all knowing is he not? I'm sure he could of reworded it to cause less confusion(As he should of known since he's all knowing)...He also should of known people like me would "take it too literal(ie "The wrong way"). Since I'm taking it too literal right?

I'm just saying, how else can we take the verse "Anyone who works Sunday should be stoned to death?" Death means to die. Being stoned means someone has to do it. So essentially it's murder. Or if it's not murder, it still says death. Death means to die. End of story.
If you want another verse here it is. It plainly says death
"For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. "

I work every Sunday and by Christians not killing me, they are essentially not following the word of God. So what's the point if Christians aren't killing me.( or at least getting someone else to kill me since it doesn't really say who has to do the killing)

EDIT: Oh and the praying part we aren't supposed to take literal either?
What do we take literal then? Sheesh? :(
Only the stuff that is legal and possible? lol

xploren

Contributor
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters,yes, even his own life, he can not be my disciple...In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has can not be my disciple."

I believe Jesus meant that only people who are troubled may follow him, so that they can see the wrong of their ways.

Adiuvo

The first verse you had simply means that Jesus must be the most important thing in your life, above all else.

For the second, that's Old Testament law, and no longer in effect if you're Christian. Christian's are followers of Jesus' and his disciples teachings, ie., the New Testament. Old is only there for guidance and history's sake.

LocutusEstBorg

I'm an "I-don't-give-a-fuck-about-religion"ist. Extremists' can have their stupid beliefs. The only people who socialize with them are equally retarded, so they're basically isolated in their world. Its only because of modern media that we hear about their shit.

Just take pleasure in the fact that every sensible person laughs at them. I have extremist relatives and everyone one in my family laughs at them behind their back. I have officially atheist communist relatives and everyone gets along with them...

Zx30

Beto
The first verse you had simply means that Jesus must be the most important thing in your life, above all else.

For the second, that's Old Testament law, and no longer in effect if you're Christian. Christian's are followers of Jesus' and his disciples teachings, ie., the New Testament. Old is only there for guidance and history's sake.

When did this happen? I mean the "no longer in effect" thing. And who said it should no longer be in effect?

Oh the verse where it says that "if two people come together and ask for anything in his name. it will happen" thing doesn't work. Which is found in the New Testament... =/
I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. I just want to know if people know this and how they deal with it.

Adiuvo

Since Jesus died. When he died the new law was put into place and the old law was erased. That's why you can pray to God for forgiveness of sins instead of doing the whole offering thing.

I don't have an exact verse on hand, but if you need it I can look around.

Zx30

Beto
Since Jesus died. When he died the new law was put into place and the old law was erased. That's why you can pray to God for forgiveness of sins instead of doing the whole offering thing.

I don't have an exact verse on hand, but if you need it I can look around.

Well if you ever have time, just send it to me because I've never heard of this. Thanks for the info.

So Christians are to follow the New Testament now? And everything in the New Testament is still the word of God and all that right??

Adiuvo

Yeah, everything in the New Testament is valid. The only major branch that believes in God but not the New Testament is Judaism IIRC.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." - Matthew 5:17

the old law was NOT undone. Jesus said so himself.

Adiuvo

If you think about that verse alone, then yes, it would seem like that. However, going in line with previous versus and teachings, the meaning changes. A lot of verses in the Bible are like that, which leads to people trying to manipulate the meaning.

Since I'm too lazy to explain in detail, and probably not capable of doing that good of a job, here's an article.

Joey

Well if you ever have time, just send it to me because I've never heard of this. Thanks for the info.

So Christians are to follow the New Testament now? And everything in the New Testament is still the word of God and all that right??

Yeah... The "word of god".

Adiuvo

If you think about it the majority of religious beliefs are pretty outrageous.

That's where the faith part comes in. Though I suppose it only seems outrageous because of today's society and it's attitude towards religion. 70 years ago it definitely wouldn't seem that way.

Joey

That's where the faith part comes in. Though I suppose it only seems outrageous because of today's society and it's attitude towards religion. 70 years ago it definitely wouldn't seem that way.

It only took 1600 years, but people are finally realizing that the idea that a senior citizen build a gigantic boat, rounded up 2 of every flee, bird, bug, you name it, and got them to fuck on a boat, is fucking retarded.

Unforunately, too many are still stupid, and believe that non-sense actually happend. And even those who don't think that actually happend, still think there's a moral to that story, and the stories that it shares pages with.

The Bible has no purpose anymore... It's negatives far out weigh it's positives in the 21st century.

Adiuvo

The Ark was actually considered possible by a lot of scientists. Only issue was that it couldn't hold two of every single animal, but it could hold two of every major if it was built to it's maximum size allowable using gopher wood.