• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Outrageous Religious Beliefs

Ok, replace the word God with Creationism where applicable but the results are the same. Creationism can't dissprove science, science can't dissprove creationism.

Chathurga

Ok, replace the word God with Creationism where applicable but the results are the same. Creationism can't dissprove science, science can't dissprove creationism.

Yes science can dissprove creationism and it has.
If creationism is true then why do we have vestigial organs?

Chathurga

What about the idea that God created everything and evolution took over from there?

Impossible to prove so why even bother? And just to clarify before I make my next point are you talking about he "created" the universe (which is already flawed for a reason I'll explain in a bit) or that he created everything in transit 5000 years ago and nature took over from there?

It doesn't matter. You don't seem to realise that religious people can always find a way to excuse these matters.

And just to clarrify I'm definitely not religious.

Chathurga

They can dance around trying to disprove evolution, ad-libbing counter points until they are blue in the face but the cold hard fact is that evolution was deemed fact using the same scientific method that scientists have used to give us everything in this world.
They got it so right with everything else (technology, medicine, etc), how could it suddenly go so completely wrong when applied to the origin of species?
Funny how this overlaps with a perceived notion of evolution and godlessness.
This has nothing to to do with what's fact, it's that people don't want to think their god isn't as awesome as they want him to be.

They can dance around trying to disprove evolution, ad-libbing counter points until they are blue in the face but the cold hard fact is that evolution was deemed fact using the same scientific method that scientists have used to give us everything in this world.
They got it so right with everything else (technology, medicine, etc), how could it suddenly go so completely wrong when applied to the origin of species?
Funny how this overlaps with a perceived notion of evolution and godlessness.
This has nothing to to do with what's fact, it's that people don't want to think their god isn't as awesome as they want him to be.

I'm sorry but have you heard of Newtonian Science?

We used to base all science on the teachings of Newton, in the early twentieth century we found flaws in it. There was a huge crisis and nobody knew what to think. Science is never infallible!

Chathurga

Newtonian science wasn't exactly wrong, it just wasn't completely right. They tried and tested it in every circumstance they could at the time and it worked. It was just as new circumstances arose we needed a better theory. People still use Newton's theories every day when the relative nature of space does not need to be taken into account. I've used his equations far, far more than Einstein's (because I've only needed to do simple calculations).
Evolution is the same, I'm not saying it's perfect because it's not. I'm saying that it will continue to grow and change as we discover more about the nature of life.

That's the beauty of science though, if something's not right then we look for ways to make it grow and adapt to our current knowledge and observable experiments. Isn't that more worth while than "Oh god made it, end of story"?

Of course science is never infallible, that's why it's science.

Of course science is never infallible, that's why it's science.

Exactly, I think we're almost starting to see eye to eye :laugh:

I'm not saying that the religious people are right but within their idea of how things work they are correct, as are we. We can't beat their perfect logic. It's may not be correct logic but it's perfect as it can be applied to everything without fail. We see it as false because we aren't applying it by itself.

I believe in evolution and most science views but I can admit that there's no beating them yet.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Exactly, I think we're almost starting to see eye to eye :laugh:

I'm not saying that the religious people are right but within their idea of how things work they are correct, as are we. We can't beat their perfect logic. It's may not be correct logic but it's perfect as it can be applied to everything without fail. We see it as false because we aren't applying it by itself.

I believe in evolution and most science views but I can admit that there's no beating them yet.

so, within their reality proof bubble their lies are true?

and we cant beat their 'logic' because it is nonsensical, illogical, contradictory, and above all is inherently unfalsifiable(existence of some creator deity, not the obviously false religions we currently have)

so, within their reality proof bubble their lies are true?

and we cant beat their 'logic' because it is nonsensical, illogical, contradictory, and above all is inherently unfalsifiable(existence of some creator deity, not the obviously false religions we currently have)

That's sort of what I meant except I didn't say that they're illogical and all that other stuff. They just follow different paths of logic and so to us may seem illogical as we do to them, as long as we and they're happy to accept that that's the way it is then there isn't an issue.

ChurchedAtheist

That's sort of what I meant except I didn't say that they're illogical and all that other stuff. They just follow different paths of logic and so to us may seem illogical as we do to them, as long as we and they're happy to accept that that's the way it is then there isn't an issue.

so if i say 'black people are subhuman pieces of crap' it is ok because it is logical to me?

You'd be surprised by the number of religions that actually accept it now and I know more atheists than religious people that hate it.

ChurchedAtheist

You'd be surprised by the number of religions that actually accept it now and I know more atheists than religious people that hate it.

where the fuck do you live? im surrounded by 'gays are evil' fundies here in missouri

Joey

I'm sorry but have you heard of Newtonian Science?

We used to base all science on the teachings of Newton, in the early twentieth century we found flaws in it. There was a huge crisis and nobody knew what to think. Science is never infallible!
Science is never infallible (no credible person has ever claimed otherwise), which is why we constantly research, and allow theories to evolve based on evidence we find. That's litterally the basis of Science. It's the constant change of ideas, and understanding of our world based on testing.

Religion takes it's teachings from a 2000 year old book, and stops there, no matter how ridiculous it's words are. No allowance for cognitive dissonance, no ability to make new discoveries.

The closest religious people have come to common sense, is ignoring the most insane parts of the bible (ie, slavery, and murder). Conveniently only practicing the parts that don't make them look like sociopaths. How Gay marriage slipped through though, I have no idea.

Religion takes it's teachings from a 2000 year old book, and stops there, no matter how ridiculous it's words are. No allowance for cognitive dissonance, no ability to make new discoveries.

The closest religious people have come to common sense, is ignoring the most insane parts of the bible (ie, slavery, and murder). Conveniently only practicing the parts that don't make them look like sociopaths. How Gay marriage slipped through though, I have no idea.

I have to point out that the bible is not 2000 years old and has changed a fair bit over the years and you can't claim that religious people have no common sense because they search for a form of peace and hope.

They're just thinking differently to atheists.

There's nothing wrong with religion except when people follow it religiously.

Chathurga

no because that's offensive to others

Offensive is subjective, not objective. Not everyone finds racism offensive (read: The racists). To say "no because that's offensive to others" is stupid. How do you define what's offensive?
Your point is ridiculous and, in fact, not a point at all.

They're just thinking differently to atheists.

You know that everyone who doesn't believe in the bible isn't by definition an atheist, yeah?

You're stating to show a complete lack of understanding of... well everything.