• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 to Remove OtherOS

El Diablo

Way for them to say they would never remove it and completely go back on their word.

TeamOverload

Still seems suspicious that we would jump from version 3.15 to 3.21 instead of 3.16 of 3.20 or something, and usually firmware announcements come a day or two before the update, so announcing it is coming April 1st, seems a bit suspicious, but I suppose all we can do is wait and see. I have a slim anyways, so it's no use to me, but I still think that's a messed up thing for Sony to do. Removing a feature is not cool.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Still seems suspicious that we would jump from version 3.15 to 3.21 instead of 3.16 of 3.20 or something, and usually firmware announcements come a day or two before the update, so announcing it is coming April 1st, seems a bit suspicious, but I suppose all we can do is wait and see. I have a slim anyways, so it's no use to me, but I still think that's a messed up thing for Sony to do. Removing a feature is not cool.

It's because of the whole GeoHot thing (At least that's what makes the most sense).

Adiuvo

Way for them to say they would never remove it and completely go back on their word.

It's not really their fault. It's Geohot's if anyones.

Firmware numbers are most likely derived from internal development revisions, and not actual firmware releases. ie, the numbers don't really mean anything to us.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
So will firmware 3.21 format my partition to get my 10 GB's back?

Also whatever happened to the voice chat update that was leaked by the Naughty Dog dev who said it was supposed to be the next update (I believe before Uncharted 2 came out)?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm quite disappointed in Sony with their decision. If this was indeed a security concern, why not adjust whatever security flaw there was in the system. You don't see other companies removing entire features because of a security flaw. While the OtherOS does not serve much of a purpose to most of us, it was a feature we paid for from day one and to have it removed without any consolation is BS. I've never used the feature but I'm more angered at the concept behind the removal than the actual removal itself.

Spiros

Maiki
It's not really their fault. It's Geohot's if anyones.
I disagree.

sony even said they would not be removing otheros in future firmware updates not too long ago. and i think its disgusting that they are going back on their word. this is a feature they sold to us and then promised us would remain in future updates. no one can force them to go back on their word.
its shameful.
hypocrites.

Also, now that i think about it, their releasing it april 1st, it might be a stretch, but could it possibly be an april fools joke? not that i think it is one, but i mean it seems like such a desperate move, maybe it is.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I disagree.

sony even said they would not be removing otheros in future firmware updates not too long ago. and i think its disgusting that they are going back on their word. this is a feature they sold to us and then promised us would remain in future updates. no one can force them to go back on their word.
its shameful.
hypocrites.

Also, now that i think about it, their releasing it april 1st, it might be a stretch, but could it possibly be an april fools joke? not that i think it is one, but i mean it seems like such a desperate move, maybe it is.
If they leave otherOS on the system, you put it at risk of being hacked.

So Sony, protecting their console is removing the feature to get rid of the potential of hacking the console.

Hellcat

Contributor
There is a 3.20 - just never for retails, same with the voice chat thing (no clue what happened to that).

Besides that, I *SO* hope you're right with your assumption on an April's fool....

// EDIT
3.20: (postered mid. Feb.)
PS3 New FWs on the horizon - M for Mature Forums

eldiablov

Contributor
I'm quite disappointed in Sony with their decision. If this was indeed a security concern, why not adjust whatever security flaw there was in the system. You don't see other companies removing entire features because of a security flaw. While the OtherOS does not serve much of a purpose to most of us, it was a feature we paid for from day one and to have it removed without any consolation is BS. I've never used the feature but I'm more angered at the concept behind the removal than the actual removal itself.

With a bit of spin on it, they're simply protecting the consumer ;)

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
One cool thing can happen

geohot releases the ps3 hack before this update

or

geohot cmmnts that guys update ur ps3,it can be hacked without other os :)