• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 hacked by Geohot

Hellcat

Contributor
Haha, just imagine usb://PS3/GAME/
I'm actually looking forward to what Linux will run like more than pirated games. :D
well, funny, but a similar function DOES exist - just not on retali PS3s.

The question now is, if Sony actually took them out of retail FW, or just disabled them.... (the later would be STUPID!)

Hellcat

Contributor
Maybe it's even possible to get debug FW *fully* running on retails.... ugh....not sure if I like that thought.... would be.... interesting, at least :D

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
im sure the xbox 360 would be 100x easier to hack.

what is your point? Xbox 360 has a very well designed security system, just so happens it was hacked earlier than PS3.

Hellcat

Contributor
Does anyone know why the ps3 Blue Ray drive isn't able to have a custom firmware on it like the 360's dvd drive? Does the hypervisor watch over the drive too or is it just hard to program for?
What would a "custom firmware" on the drive gain you?

All important security stuff is handled by the PS3, not the drive AFAIK.

Archaemic

Well. I guess it's time to buy a PS3 before a hardware revision fixes it, assuming it's not a design flaw (which actually it sounds like it might be, given the post).

On a related note, this guy is the same age as me. I guess I'm lagging behind, having only really participated in two PSP-related hacks :/ I am TAing a security course this semester though :O

E] To clarify, I've been contemplating buying a PS3 for a few months. This isn't just some "OMG I CAN HACK IT I NEED ONE NOW" thing :p

El Diablo

Can you explain though what exactly the point of that is for people who don't have xboxes? I also don't get the point of it.

Hellcat

Contributor
I would assume it allows normal, burnt DVD discs to be accepted as legitimate XBOX 360 DVD game discs. Essentially a software modchip.
Yeah, and something like that wouldn't work on the PS3, for tons of reasons.

Davee

lolhax
Well.... we'd need an SDK first.... o_O
Plus, PS3 is a beast, not really easy to make stuffs on....

But still, I do hope the very same :)

We need general code first :/

People seem to forget how useless this is for normal users in it's current state. Remember, he's got all that hardware linked up into the system and via that he is gaining read/write access to the RAM. For the general public I assume he'll need to search for an exploit in the modules.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down his achievements, they are really massive. Realistically though, all he can do is dump firmwares and gain information. As for standard users running code, he'll have to find flaws all the way down and then these flaws have to be undetected by the hypervisor. Either way, he's still got a lot to go before general users gain code access.

Hellcat

Contributor
I beg to differ.

With WRITE access, you can put "flaws" IN, effectively opening the system.
Patch the HV the keep it's mouth shut, patch the FW to go wild :D

Of course, all these things need to be researched yet, there's A LOT of work ahead to get ANYTHING working, but still, there's good chances for something comming out of this.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Does this mean we should all stop updating like with the PSP or would the hack be less dependant on firmware?

Cloudy

I beg to differ.

With WRITE access, you can put "flaws" IN, effectively opening the system.
Patch the HV the keep it's mouth shut, patch the FW to go wild :D

Of course, all these things need to be researched yet, there's A LOT of work ahead to get ANYTHING working, but still, there's good chances for something comming out of this.

Write access using hardware. However he may find flaws In the hyporvisor or the firmware, or both, for software hacks.

El Diablo

Does this mean we should all stop updating like with the PSP or would the hack be less dependant on firmware?

I don't think you have much of a choice unless you don't want to use anything internet related on it = \.

Blackout

i would assume this will take forever and a day to get it started seeing how since Sony is (or soon will be) aware of, they will start looking into every possible angle and patch it via firmware, thus making the hacker have to keep up and see if his methods are still possible (my assumption of course)