• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PSGroove Released, Open Source PS Jailbreak

Muratcan

I was hoping that this would be done, but I can all but guarantee that it will be hacked/modified for back-ups fairly swiftly.

It already has. It HAD the backup option from the beginning, it was just a 4 digit HEX change that made it not work. Someone figured it out and now a version with backup launching is floating around.

El Diablo

It already has.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Riorio99

I think i'll wait until a) we see if Sony slams the banhammer, and b) see if any decent Homebrew comes through.

Distrance

Soo .. Just wanting to confirm this before I go out on my way and buy a teensy or the other alternative.
First off, does it actually matter wether I use teensy or the AT90USBKEY ? The latter would be available in my country, and all teensy boards are out of stock.. no surprise there.
Secondly, if using the pre-patched version with the manager file downloaded on the usb stick, I will be able to backup my games and then play them off the harddrive without actually having the game in drive ? ( As long as there is some dvd )
Thanks if anyone can answer.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Either the Teensy or AT90USBKEY will get the job done, there's no notable difference between the two. The code is being ported to other devices as well, I heard one team is working on USB driver for the PSP. ;) Might be awhile before we see it, though.

And yes, you are correct in regards to running backups. I will write up a guide soon, just waiting on my Teensy shipment. Should get here in a few days.

El Diablo

I think i'll wait until a) we see if Sony slams the banhammer, and b) see if any decent Homebrew comes through.

As matheiueghgh (whatever his name is) said, the program disables PSN so there's no way of getting banned.

Now to decide if I should buy an external hard drive since my old one died, or a replacement internal one for my PS3. External is so much more functional but not being able to use a lot of games blows = \.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So by using this there is a chance of gettng banned from the PSN? Or is that only if your playig backed up games?

No one knows yet. Microsoft bans in waves and it's possible Sony may take a similar approach.

To err towards the safe side, I'd recommend not connecting to PSN with the jailbreak enabled at all. Even if you aren't running backups. There's no telling what sort of data Sony collects on your console right now. Best to wait until more research is done.

vXAlexanderXv

Indeed. I can only hope emulators are of the first homebrew to show up. I'd love to play some SNES or GBA games wth a wireless controller. :D

january39

eXo Staff
That's my fear, no access to PSN would be a real drag....although i could set up another account and get another ps3 ;) Im going to wait before i buy though and see what pans out over the next couple of weeks.

I will not be updating past 3.41 in the near future though.

It reminds me of the early early days of PSP :) :)

The pre-patched version is linked in the original article, I added it last night.

Also, lan.st's PS3Wiki has been updated with loads of details on how this hack actually works. Interesting stuff:

http://ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php?title=PSJailbreak_Exploit_Reverse_Engineering

It is interesting, i lose it a bit on the more technical stuff but i get the basic theory.

El Diablo

Assuming you can even download a ps3 game from anywhere, how are you supposed to get it on your ps3 anyway? If you can't put files larger than 4 gigs on an external hard drive that the ps3 can read how are you going to transfer them to your ps3?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Assuming you can even download a ps3 game from anywhere, how are you supposed to get it on your ps3 anyway? If you can't put files larger than 4 gigs on an external hard drive that the ps3 can read how are you going to transfer them to your ps3?

AFAIK backups are run as an extracted ISO, not as a flat file. Majority of games don't have a single file over 4GB in size. So it's a non-issue, for the most part. Granted there are a few exceptions but most likely someone will find a way around the FAT32 limitation.

El Diablo

Yeah I know most don't but there's still quite a few that do which sucks. I was mainly wondering because I saw one ps3 game on a website and it was listed as a 7 gig iso or what have you so I assumed trying to transfer that 7 gig file wouldn't work.

All I can say is I hope a PSP version is possible and made soon. Not because I want to pirate but because I'm poor and could really use the money from selling all my games I don't need anymore heh.

Adiuvo

It's a bit disappointing to see ISO loading enabled already. I'm interested in the homebrew that will come out of it (especially emulators), but the pirating side isn't too great.

El Diablo

I'm definitely more interested in the homebrew, but being able to save my expensive games and try and get some money back will be nice :p.

Hellcat

Contributor
No, you need the dongle on every reboot/powerup.

But once the PS3 is full booted up, you can unplug it and use the now free again USB port to charge the controller.... O:)

The original PSJB needed to be plugged in all the time.

thatsnice

You get a copy of the game and put it in the PS3, then back it up to your internal or external HDD. There is no need to download a PS3 game from the internet. Just rent or borrow a friends copy of a game.
Any word on running this off a PSP yet?