• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Swine Flu

Cryox

Bro.
So, it seems like the latest threat to America (and it's bordering nations) are facing a new problem. The Swine Flu.

Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza viruses that causes regular outbreaks in pigs[...]

There was a White House Meeting on it yesterday, the 26th, about it.

CDC Link about it - Latest Info

I personally am not too worried about it, the only thing that sparked my interest about it is that they might close most businesses and schools this sometime this week if this becomes a pandemic, which it does have that potential.

Discuss what you think about it and whether you are worried about it, even if you live outside the US.

Leecher

Yeah I read about this. As for myself, I'm not too worried about it either.

28 cases in New York City? Dang. Well I just need to keep clean and I think I'll be just fine.

Adiuvo

No doubt it will effect many people, but provided there are hospitals nearby, I don't think many people will die from this. It's not like SARS where it took place in some underdeveloped areas. The only deaths have been from Mexico, and there aren't that many cases in the US, only around 20 or so. I'm not worried.

Seth

MD Party Room
swine_flu.png

Cryox

Bro.
No doubt it will effect many people, but provided there are hospitals nearby, I don't think many people will die from this. It's not like SARS where it took place in some underdeveloped areas. The only deaths have been from Mexico, and there aren't that many cases in the US, only around 20 or so. I'm not worried.

I am pretty sure that a person or two have died in the US from this, but i think they were Texans (white). I just found this about new york and a couple other places. Not sure if it is relevant though

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM EST ----------

[qimg]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/swine_flu.png[/qimg]

Lol. you must have like a separate computer and search engine specifically for finding pics like that.

Seth

MD Party Room
I call it Digg.com

Cryox

Bro.
Damn the luck. I'm in texas. Right ABOVE Mexico. :(

well, we'll understand when you stop posting :p

But in seriousness, wash your hands, cover mouth when sneeze/cough and you should be fine. Just stay away from the border (no offense to anyone)

Zx30

Beto
well, we'll understand when you stop posting :p

But in seriousness, wash your hands, cover mouth when sneeze/cough and you should be fine. Just stay away from the border (no offense to anyone)

Yeah I should be fine. Always wash my hands and cover myself when sneezing.

To be honest, my dad wants to go to Mexico this coming June for a wedding. The closer we seem to get to the date, the worse shit gets in Mexico. I swear.

Cryox

Bro.
Yeah I should be fine. Always wash my hands and cover myself when sneezing.

To be honest, my dad wants to go to Mexico this coming June for a wedding. The closer we seem to get to the date, the worse shit gets in Mexico. I swear.

Plus you have those crazy drug wars going on down their to make it worse. I can already see the happy wedding. Constant gun fire and blood curdling screams in the distance. People racing down the aisle as to not disrupt anything by coughing or letting the diarrhea get the best of them. Sounds fun, can i get an invite :p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Regular flu medicine will counteract against the adverse effects, so it's treatable. That said, I'm not worried at all.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
Will not having a flu shot affect your chance of contracting this?

Cryox

Bro.
Will not having a flu shot affect your chance of contracting this?
No, from what i have read, the CDC is trying to develop a vaccine for it. Although i have also heard that there are some medications that exist that help fight it or something.

Strif3

I heard that in 1918 the Spanish flu (which swine flu descended from) killed like 20 - 40 million people,

whoa.

Cryox

Bro.
I heard that in 1918 the Spanish flu (which swine flu descended from) killed like 20 - 40 million people,

whoa.

Those numbers sound a bit large, although could have happened. But then again, in 1918, not as many people were concerned about health, so they were not into hand washing and stuff. Plus, this was Spanish people, who lived in villages with no antibiotics and stuff like that.

Strif3

i just saw it on the news on TV saying liek 20 mil - 40 mil i thought it sounded extreme to but yea ur right