• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

When is the price drop coming?

Mraellis

Probably not, it was over a year since they removed it. It's time to move past that. The price is the major concern with the console.

I doubt we'll see a price drop soon, Sony need one but with the current state of the economy I don't think they can afford it.

Its hard to move past with the lack of good exclusives to play on the ps3. Though i do admit it is improving.

Adiuvo

Lack of good exclusives is a two year old argument. It's hardly true at all now.

Sinfulfate

Lack of good exclusives is a two year old argument. It's hardly true at all now.
I disagree, the PS3 still has far fewer good exclusives than the 360 but that's a non issue imo since the multiplatform games more than make up for that. The problem is that the PS3 has far too many exclusives that are of the same genre that pretty much cancel each other out. No one is gonna dedicate the time to Socom, Killzone 2, and Resistance 2 so why would Sony release them all so close to each other?

Sony needs to drop the price soon and start bringing the PS3 up to the 360s level to entice consumers to pick one up. Its really sad that its 2009 yet the PS3 is still so far behind the 360 feature wise yet the PS3 still costs nearly double the cost of the 360. If you have no interest in blu ray there really isn't much of a reason to pick up a PS3 instead of a 360 at this point unless your a die hard God of War fan.

Adiuvo

What exactly does the 360 have over the PS3 feature wise now? Before the 2.40 update, I could see your point, but parties and mic chat seem the only thing. They're hardly something worth influencing a purchase over.

Games of the same genre are a non-issue for me. The 360 has the same problems, hence it's old reputation as a shooter box. It's two biggest IPs are both shooters still, after all, though it's other exclusives are far more varied. The PS3's biggest two IPs aren't the same, if you consider MGS and Resistance to be it's biggest IPs.

Sinfulfate

What exactly does the 360 have over the PS3 feature wise now? Before the 2.40 update, I could see your point, but parties and mic chat seem the only thing. They're hardly something worth influencing a purchase over.
Well mainly just a good online service. PSN is horrible compared to live. You can't join games from the xmb, you cant see if your friends are joinable in games, few people have mics, most games don't have trophy or custom soundtrack support, the in game xmb is horrible(why does it bring up the whole xmb where 99% of the settings require you to leave the game to use?), no in game private chat, no cross game invites, etc. Also I hear you cant even invite people to your games in Killzone 2 if that's true than that's pretty laughable for a game made in 2009. Also the 360 has Netflix, XBLA(with new games every week), community games, 1080p upscaling support for all games, cheap price, good achievements system(all games support them and its easy to view/compare them with friends), a online community, a great selection of games that run well, and its backed by a company that actually care about their consumers(inside xbox, game with fame/devs events, gamerchixs nights, etc).

Games of the same genre are a non-issue for me. The 360 has the same problems, hence it's old reputation as a shooter box. It's two biggest IPs are both shooters still, after all, though it's other exclusives are far more varied. The PS3's biggest two IPs aren't the same, if you consider MGS and Resistance to be it's biggest IPs.
I wouldn't say the 360 had/has the same problem, that was just a common misconception most gamers had. I never understood why people thought this as the PS3 has just as many if not more shooters than the 360. Anyway the problem isn't with the amount of games within the same genre but when they get released. Having two big shooters and releasing them over a year apart makes sense(Halo 3 in 07 and gears 2 in 08) but releasing Haze in May, Socom in October, Resistance 2 in Nov, and Killzone 2 in Feb doesn't make any sense. Thats 4 exclusive shooters for PS3 within 10 months of each other.

Also MGS isn't a big PS3 IP, MGS series can go on whatever platform Konami wants and I wouldn't be surprised if MGS 4 came out to 360. I would say Resistance and Killzone are PS3s biggest IPs which match favorable to 360s biggest IPs also being shooters.

I just wish Sony would start working on downloadable games like MS is doing with XBLA. Peggle was released on XBLA last week(which imo is easily better than every PS3 game) why isn't it out on PSN yet? And where is the PS3 version of Puzzle Quest Galactrix? Or least start working with third party companies or something, they lost Dragon Quest X, Star Ocean 4, FF XIII(exclusivity), Monster Hunter 3, etc I don't understand whats it gonna take for Sony to realize there not going something right.

twelve

I'm not dead
Wow. Almost 3 months without this becoming a 360 vs PS3 debate.

And all it took was 1 troll comment about exclusives to derail it. This thread is about the price of the console, not features and games. Lets stay on topic please.