• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Consumer 2 Terabyte Memory Stick Duo & 60MB/s Interface Speed a Reality

Slasher

Suck It
Sony and Sandisk have both collaboratively agreed to create a 2 Terabyte Memory Stick PRO series, as well as enabling a maximum data-transfer speed of 60 megabytes per second on their Memory Stick HG Micro series, making it one of the fastest-smallest memory card formats to date. If this accomplishment is reached, it will redefine the expectations for flash memory for years to come.

"SanDisk and Sony share a long collaborative history of developing products and technologies that enhance user experience and provide direct benefit to consumers," said Yoram Cedar, executive vice president, OEM and corporate engineering, SanDisk.

Hidenosuke Kanai, President of Electronic Devices Business Group of Sony Corporation, said, "Sony has successfully collaborated with SanDisk Corporation in developing and promoting the "Memory Stick" formats such as the "Memory Stick PRO" format in 2003, the "Memory Stick Micro" format for mobile products in 2005 and "Memory Stick PRO-HG" format in 2006. Today, we are happy to announce the latest result of the joint development on the "Memory Stick" format to offer a memory card with unprecedented high capacity. Through the introduction of these new formats, Sony hopes that the "Memory Stick" will open up new possibilities and greatly expand its applications of flash memory cards."

SanDisk | Corporate | Press Room | Press Releases

This will certainly be interesting to see :tup:

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
It will be awesome, but how long will it take them to get to 2tb?
---
lol, imagine every single psp iso on 1 memory stick

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
That will be amazing, i could fit the whole ps1 and psp library of games onto 1 stick.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Nice writeup and I can't wait to see them come out with these.

Our coverage of this news can be found here.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
the big ?'s im wondering is:
1. will they work on the sd/pro/xd reader combo slots we have now?(may have missed that, i skimmed)
2. when will it be <$200 for a 2tb?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
2. when will it be <$200 for a 2tb?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be. As cool as they are, I agree with Hardly who has doubts about the durability of something so small. At the very minimum, this technology could be used to make an hardy/indestructible thumstick that I would be interested in getting.

Very cool goal for them to try and attain at the very least.

Vee

Cool if its a proof of technology. But it would never work right now. Especially in things like PSPs and Camcorders. Just look how long it takes my PC to load up my 1TB HDD.

birdman

sandisk said today that they expect to release a 64GB SSD soon, obviously 2tb might take more than a while to get on the market. Its only capable of 2TB, not that they have it yet :p

explosions

Cool if its a proof of technology. But it would never work right now. Especially in things like PSPs and Camcorders. Just look how long it takes my PC to load up my 1TB HDD.

Oh my.... I haven't seen so much ignorance in one place for a loooonnnggg time.

Vee

Oh my.... I haven't seen so much ignorance in one place for a loooonnnggg time.

Do you want to include what you thinks ignorant there, mister?

I thought it was a decent comment, i've seen loads of people who have read that article and thought it was supposed to be coming out within the year, for devices that we currently use.

explosions

Do you want to include what you thinks ignorant there, mister?

I thought it was a decent comment, i've seen loads of people who have read that article and thought it was supposed to be coming out within the year, for devices that we currently use.

The fact that you seem to think that the more space you have = longer loading times.

mohaas05

How convenient...2TB is the maximum volume size for FAT32. Unless of course Sony decides to support NTFS (or even better, ext3)

Seth

MD Party Room
How convenient...2TB is the maximum volume size for FAT32. Unless of course Sony decides to support NTFS (or even better, ext3)

Ext4>3 lol....

But really I dont see that happing...

Also by the time these memory sticks hit 2tb I bet we have a few cheap 3.5 Petabyte.Maybe even reaching Exabit drives....

_Syn

You're literally carrying an external harddrive. This is great. Now, what's the catch: how much is it gonna be .. ?

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
2TB is a little excessive. I mean, I can understand people wanting it, but I would never be able to fill up even 1TB, and probably not even 16 gigs.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
2TB is a little excessive. I mean, I can understand people wanting it, but I would never be able to fill up even 1TB, and probably not even 16 gigs.

ive almost 50gb of homebrew (compressed)

and about 50gb-70gb of isos (compressed)

it would be ok, but i agree 1tb is plenty but i suppose i could put every movie i own onto it too lol and all my music so 2tb is about right for me.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
ive almost 50gb of homebrew (compressed)

and about 50gb-70gb of isos (compressed)

it would be ok, but i agree 1tb is plenty but i suppose i could put every movie i own onto it too lol and all my music so 2tb is about right for me.

Well, I suppose if I put my entire CD collection on the computer I'd come close in number of GBs to you, but I'm way too lazy.