• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Consumer 2 Terabyte Memory Stick Duo & 60MB/s Interface Speed a Reality

Slasher

Suck It
8640p movies?? Talk about overkill

I know formats like images, videos, etc will continue to increase in size, but I think there comes a point where it's just not going to get any better. If you ask me, I think we're approaching that limit at a staggering speed. I mean, 10 megapixel camera's are really more than enough to capture an image in next-to-perfect quality, so why continue to increase them to for example 20 megapixels or something?

Same goes for storage on a PC. How could you possibly ever fill up 2 terabytes worth of data let alone an expected increase past that? It just seems ridiculous, even taking into consideration images/videos increasing somewhat in size. There comes a point where I don't think it needs to be increased any further.

I guess I could be totally wrong about this, but this is just what I think

Adiuvo

So you can have a wallpaper made from a picture you took!

You do have a good point. Unless we start making screens out of our walls, or TVs that take up an entire room, there's no point to continually increasing the size of things. It's pointless, and a waste of time to engineer.

Seth

MD Party Room

I know formats like images, videos, etc will continue to increase in size, but I think there comes a point where it's just not going to get any better. If you ask me, I think we're approaching that limit at a staggering speed. I mean, 10 megapixel camera's are really more than enough to capture an image in next-to-perfect quality, so why continue to increase them to for example 20 megapixels or something?

Same goes for storage on a PC. How could you possibly ever fill up 2 terabytes worth of data let alone an expected increase past that? It just seems ridiculous, even taking into consideration images/videos increasing somewhat in size. There comes a point where I don't think it needs to be increased any further.

You be shocked to see how much bandwidth hologram will take to stream..
Also for modern times you be shock to see the file size of a Circle-Vision 360 video stream..... One screen can be easy be over 50gb for a 30 min video without sound...

Btw why dont we stop at Dvd the picture looks fine.
WHy do we need more than 240 mph in a car.
Why do we need something better than a q6600 at 2.66
Why not use the speed of sound isent it fast?'
Hell why dont we stop doing research on everything we have more books then anyone can read in a lifetime...

Man Kind will always want Bigger and Better...Untill the end of time where some think we will just start over in the stone age...

EvilSeph

Administrator

Two words: Demand (from people like me that love being on the edge of technology) and income (if people stopped working to advance technology, a whole industry would be out of business before long).

If there are no improvements made to a technology then what incentive is there for anyone to go through the trouble of updating the technology they do use? Even if the realistic uses of a technology are far surpassed, some people insist on having the best of the best - so why not take advantage of these people? ;)

Give me 2 terabytes of storage or more and I can fill it up in a day with legitimate files (work, hobbies, etc.) :). Not only is capacity increased, but performance too and that is definitely a plus. The faster I can access my data, the more work I can accomplish in the same amount of time as before I updated my technology.

Seth

MD Party Room
Good news I just read that ext4 has support for 1 EB = 1,048,576 TB (1 EB = 1024 PB, 1 PB = 1024 TB, 1 TB = 1024 GB)

So where well on our way there!...

Cryox

Bro.

The more memory that can fit/be in a smaller space is better for things like NASA and Military programs and operations.