• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Consumer 2 Terabyte Memory Stick Duo & 60MB/s Interface Speed a Reality

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
2TB is a little excessive. I mean, I can understand people wanting it, but I would never be able to fill up even 1TB, and probably not even 16 gigs.

I could. just put every single movie you even remotely like on there, and even at 300mb a peace, I could fill a TB. would I have a real NEED for 8000 movies on my psp? no, but it is a possible use of space.
EDIT: and that was me thninking in terms of a psp. it wouldn't take long to fill 2 TB w/ 1080p movies.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well, I suppose if I put my entire CD collection on the computer I'd come close in number of GBs to you, but I'm way too lazy.
You should post a pic of your cd collection in the post your gaming setup thread... It be sweet to see it.

Btw I cant wait to see the price of this thing..

On newegg 1.5tb is about 130...

Colm

It says Memory Stick Pro, so it mightn't be PSP-compatible.
Either way, this is awesome news. It's going to change the way a lot of people think about portable data, no doubt. I'd say we can expect to see games shipping on memory cards at some point.

mohaas05

Even if it is full-sized PRO, the internal hardware is the same so someone could just trace the leads.

The key though is if the PSP will ever support such a high capacity.

ChurchedAtheist

Even if it is full-sized PRO, the internal hardware is the same so someone could just trace the leads.

The key though is if the PSP will ever support such a high capacity.

all it takes is a fw update, like they did w/ 8 & 16 gb ones

mohaas05

Plus, Sony never said they're making a 2TB MS anytime soon. They said its the theoretical limit. Remember before when they said that 32GB was the limit? We haven't even reached that yet. (Although it will this year I believe)

TacticalPenguin

You should post a pic of your cd collection in the post your gaming setup thread... It be sweet to see it.

Btw I cant wait to see the price of this thing..

On newegg 1.5tb is about 130...

on newegg 1.5tb in flash memory is about $2500. you dont compare hard drives to flash memory cards, it just doesnt work that way.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Ext4>3 lol....

But really I dont see that happing...

Also by the time these memory sticks hit 2tb I bet we have a few cheap 3.5 Petabyte.Maybe even reaching Exabit drives....

ide say between 800 zettabytes - 4 yottabytes.

were gonna need to add like 5 new types of memory so that we have something to measure after 1024 yottabytes

Additional Comment:
all it takes is a fw update, like they did w/ 8 & 16 gb ones

if you have cfw it is already compatable up to 2tb's

Adiuvo

I'd say he just mixed up the SI units. There's no way we're ever going to be close to even one zettabyte drives in the next ten years.

Taking a look at the Wikipedia article on yottabytes, we haven't even reached a single zettabyte of all the world's storage. It's not like you would ever need that much space, or be able to use it.

explosions

I'd say he just mixed up the SI units. There's no way we're ever going to be close to even one zettabyte drives in the next ten years.

Taking a look at the Wikipedia article on yottabytes, we haven't even reached a single zettabyte of all the world's storage. It's not like you would ever need that much space, or be able to use it.

If we were to go back to 1997, and ask someone with a top-of-the-line computer (2GB hard drive) to fill 160 GB, what do you think they would say?

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
explosions has a point though.. never say never.

In the mid 80's Bill Gates famously/allegedly said we should never need more than 640k RAM so we might not conceivably need that kind of space at the moment but who knows what the near future will bring (probably nearer than you think).

Seth

MD Party Room
explosions has a point though.. never say never.

In the mid 80's Bill Gates famously/allegedly said we should never need more than 640k RAM so we might not conceivably need that kind of space at the moment but who knows what the near future will bring (probably nearer than you think).
I wish people would stop saying that..

[QUOTE =Bill Gates]Q. Did you ever say, as has been widely circulated on the Internet, "640K [of RAM] ought to be enough for anybody?"
No! That makes me so mad I can't believe it! Do you realize the pain the industry went through while the IBM PC was limited to 640K? The machine was going to be 512K at one point, and we kept pushing it up. I never said that statement–I said the opposite of that.[/QUOTE]

Btw yes I do belive that we will reach that mark within 5 years..

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/gatesivu.htm

Also for those who dont know what that is..

Aa zettabyte is equal to 1 trillion gigabytes or 1,000 exabytes or about 250 billion DVDs. Driven by the use of video on the web, Cisco today released a study that estimates that “IP traffic will increase at a combined annual growth rate (CAGR) of 46 percent from 2007 to 2012, nearly doubling every two years. This will result in an annual bandwidth demand on the world’s IP networks of approximately 522 exabytes, or more than half a zettabyte.”

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I wish people would stop saying that..
In my own defense I did say "allegedly". I said it because it's still a good example of how people think of data.

ChurchedAtheist

160GB is no where near the zettabyte mark.

yeah, but his point is about the increase in data needs. 10 years from now, while you are watching your 8640p movie thats 2gb/minute, then data drives might reach that point.

granted I doubt we will see something like that, but it is those demandsthat push tech.

Moose

Meta Moose
yeah, but his point is about the increase in data needs. 10 years from now, while you are watching your 8640p movie thats 2gb/minute, then data drives might reach that point.

granted I doubt we will see something like that, but it is those demandsthat push tech.
I know. The comparison though is quite disillusioned... 160GB is far closer to 2GB than 1ZB. But of course, I understand what he means.

Adiuvo

By that time I would hope we are into three dimensional stuff. Movies at that resolution would be neat though, but I doubt we would be able to see the difference on even large screens.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Do you even know how much a yottabyte is? Or are you just trolling?

yes i do but i was just exaggeratin

yottabyte 1000-8 or 1024 zettabytes if thinking in binary.

im saying that if they can do that though i would think that atleast a petabyte could be done if 2tb on a stick smaller then my thumb could be madeespecially when 4 years ago dell sold most laptops with 20-30gb hdd's
and now they have 80-160gb ipods.