• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

4.01 M33 Easy Installation Guide

pspknightx

Attachments

• 401M33-2.rar
    448.7 KB · Views: 462

u2vini

Here is a detailed step by step guide for installing the newly released 4.01 M33. Please note that you must be running 3.52 M33-3, or higher to begin this installation. Do note that if you're already running 3.80 M33 and have a WiFi connection, you can simply update to 3.90 M33 by selecting Network Update from the PSP XMB.

Thanks a lot, it worked perfectly for me! :biggrin:

From 3.71m33 !!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
x3sphere, this is interesting, i flashed 4.01 M33 and tested for the speed for ISO and CSO, it went pretty fast. I can't test it with USB2.0 because my laptop sent for replacement. Althought im thinking is my memory stick that didn't affect the speed.

First Theory:
I reliase when transferring data to PSP using USB1.0 the MS light went fast blinking. And before it was slow blink before 4.01. Meaning the data is being written on MS full speed via USB1.0. So USB2.0 won't go any faster?

Second Theory:
I full formatted my MS on PSP with windows format tool and ran scan disk then format agian on PSP. I heard this way can also fix the MS slow down issue. Im suggesting everyone try that.

The PSP's USB speed is capped to around 6MB/s or so. USB 2.0 can transfer files at much faster rates, but the PSP can only read in data that fast. You would have to use a card reader to get the full speed out of your memory stick.

But anyways, yeah, running scan disk and formatting the memory stick can fix some issues, especially if you have corrupt sectors on the stick. I personally haven't noticed any slowdown while running PSP titles off my 2GB SanDisk, such as God of War and Crisis Core. I think the problem is more prevalent with other MS brands, like Sony and Lexar.

JonC04

Aww.... I just updated to 4.01M33... now I have to upgrade again? It's all good, it's free and I get 1.5 Kernel Mode now. =D But X3sphere, I think you have a typo because it says, "Upgrading to 4.00M33-2" which confused me a bit... Just a note.

mamoulian

I'm on 3.52 M33-4.
I've copied the 401 files as instructed and run the '4.01 M33' item from the memorystick 'game' menu. The app starts, screen goes black, it says 'Unpacking... done.' then 'Please wait...'.

Then it just sits at 'Please wait...'. I've left it for over half an hour, it just sits there.
A reboot beings it back into the 3.52 M33-4 XMB.

Is there anything else I need to do to get to 401 from 3.52 M33-4?

Cheers

Acerthief

I'm on 3.52 M33-4.
I've copied the 401 files as instructed and run the '4.01 M33' item from the memorystick 'game' menu. The app starts, screen goes black, it says 'Unpacking... done.' then 'Please wait...'.

Then it just sits at 'Please wait...'. I've left it for over half an hour, it just sits there.
A reboot beings it back into the 3.52 M33-4 XMB.

Is there anything else I need to do to get to 401 from 3.52 M33-4?

Cheers

Backup anything you have on the memory stick that is important (game saves etc), and format the stick on your PSP.
Now give it another try.

If this still doesn't work, then You'll need to see this thread HERE and check if you have a faulty memory stick.

mamoulian

Acerthief:

Oh.
The 4gb Sony memorystick I've been using is 'magicgate unknown', so that'll be a fake then.
I have a 2gb one which shows up the same and shows the same problem.

I tried with another one, a Sandisk one which came in the box with a SE phone (from Vodafone, not eBay) and says 'Magicgate supported'.
Exactly the same problem with that one too.

I would have installed M33 3.52 - and earlier versions - using one of these, and just ran the update to 3.52 M33-4 fine.

For all of them the 'unpacking...' bit appears to have worked as there are now other files in the psp/game/update folder.

Does the 401 installer verify that the memorycard is a proper Sony one and stop at this point if it is not?
If so, would it think the 'Magicgate supported' Sandisk is OK?

EDIT: I've tried formatting them all, same result...

Xsizo

Hello x3sphere

Since you are the best one here I believe that know about frimwares (PSP) I got a question I've been searching the whole inter net about.
here it is------> I updated my psp to 4.01 not the m33 or m33-2 how can I get it to m33?
the error I got is (80020148)

You dont know what this answer means to me.
hope you answer soon! ^.^

lp4u

Acerthief:

Oh.
The 4gb Sony memorystick I've been using is 'magicgate unknown', so that'll be a fake then.
I have a 2gb one which shows up the same and shows the same problem.

I tried with another one, a Sandisk one which came in the box with a SE phone (from Vodafone, not eBay) and says 'Magicgate supported'.
Exactly the same problem with that one too.

I would have installed M33 3.52 - and earlier versions - using one of these, and just ran the update to 3.52 M33-4 fine.

For all of them the 'unpacking...' bit appears to have worked as there are now other files in the psp/game/update folder.

Does the 401 installer verify that the memorycard is a proper Sony one and stop at this point if it is not?
If so, would it think the 'Magicgate supported' Sandisk is OK?

EDIT: I've tried formatting them all, same result...

try updating to 3.90m33-3 then to 4.01 m33

lp4u

Hello x3sphere

Since you are the best one here I believe that know about frimwares (PSP) I got a question I've been searching the whole inter net about.
here it is------> I updated my psp to 4.01 not the m33 or m33-2 how can I get it to m33?
the error I got is (80020148)

You dont know what this answer means to me.
hope you answer soon! ^.^

you'll need a pandora battery and a magic memeory stick(MMS) to put CFW on your psp first then you can proceed to having 4.01m33

capsgram

I trid this out and now when am in a game and i want to exit, my select/start buttons dont work, got any ideas? I cant exit the game without doing a hard powering down

if anyone gots any ideas thanks

pspknightx

I thought if want to exit game, just press "HOME" and exit the game ? o_O

vikram874

hi plz help

hi plz may i know is it necessary to have pandora battery for upgade psp from 3.95 to 4.01 m33???
if no how can i upgrade.....

deviljin

It does not work (for me) no offence dark-alex

The installation(4.01M33) does not work....my psp says ''The Game Cannot Be started'' i have 100% battery and psp ver 4.01...but i cannot make it to 4.01M33.First i go to ''psp'' folder and go to ''game'' then i create the folder UPDATE after that i put in EBOOT.PBP from the file(401M33.rar) i downloaded and extracted.....then i put in the 401.PBP into the UPDATE folder that contains the EBOOT.PBP I insert my mmry stick into my psp and saw the 4.01M33(size:25MB) and i started it....it says ''The Game Cannot Be started''...
Reply and tell me what i've done wrong or what to do.......

deviljin

The installation(4.01M33) does not work....my psp says ''The Game Cannot Be started'' i have 100% battery and psp ver 4.01...but i cannot make it to 4.01M33.First i go to ''psp'' folder and go to ''game'' then i create the folder UPDATE after that i put in EBOOT.PBP from the file(401M33.rar) i downloaded and extracted.....then i put in the 401.PBP into the UPDATE folder that contains the EBOOT.PBP I insert my mmry stick into my psp and saw the 4.01M33(size:25MB) and i started it....it says ''The Game Cannot Be started''...
Reply and tell me what i've done wrong or what to do.......

vp10120

To flash to 4.01 M33 you're required to have ATLEAST 3.71 M33-2 or higher firmware. Anything lower then 3.71 M33-2 will not flash properly. That occours to some of you here.

@deviljin
You need CFW before you can do futher updates. You can take a look on my guide to install CFW on your PSP by easiest way, and no! No skipping Pandora for first time install!!

My OFW>CFW Guide: http://www.psperspective.net/index.php?showtopic=2811

@x3sphere
Cool, im using same Sandisk ULTRA II 2G MS too. :D Either way, i saw the MS model listed on "Not Effected" slow down section.

pspknightx

Re: deviljin

Then you will have to find someone who has CFW (e.g. 3.71m33 or above) on their PSP to make one pandora battery and magic card since you are using Official Firmware.