• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

5.55 Games Decryption

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR

afteralter

S for Surreal
What's so great about it? MORE Piracy?

UMD Games with check for system update I guess

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I still don't understand how this is great news...

If it's so great then go have fun... But please don't go posting shit like this here because quite frankly it's not wanted.

Itanium

Some legit users that don't want to lose homebrew in any way could go and buy new released games.

Most pirate users would prefer anyway to stay in CFW with their pirated collection rather than upgrading and buying some games.

That doesn't seem bad news either, since nobody would be forced to choose between homebrew and new games. About piracy, it would stay at the same level it has been for years, so nothing new.

For all the above, I'm so sceptical about tricks like this (mandatory upgrades for example) could really boost game sales to levels that makes worth all the invested effort in taking down piracy.

Unfortunately it's all about people's minds, not security measures.

SpAMCAN

I lol'd.

But seriously, I hope LittleBigPlanet PSP works with this, I have (stupidly) pre-ordered it. Me and my 3000...

PsypheR

What's up with all the a--holes in this thread?

This is great news for folks who want to play legitimately on a custom firmware.

Colm

Does this mean I get to run the Peace Walker demo on my 5.00M33-6?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Some legit users that don't want to lose homebrew in any way could go and buy new released games.

Most pirate users would prefer anyway to stay in CFW with their pirated collection rather than upgrading and buying some games.

That doesn't seem bad news either, since nobody would be forced to choose between homebrew and new games. About piracy, it would stay at the same level it has been for years, so nothing new.

For all the above, I'm so sceptical about tricks like this (mandatory upgrades for example) could really boost game sales to levels that makes worth all the invested effort in taking down piracy.

Unfortunately it's all about people's minds, not security measures.

I agree. I care about this stuff,
If you don't , then don't come in the thread. Just IGNORE IT. I for one don't want to lose my homebrew or the abilty to play my umd games without my battery dying on my 1000 within 4 hours. It's easier to carry mutliple games I OWN on a memory stick than carry the umd's and risk scratching them.

Davee

lolhax
A decryptor is lame, it'll just lead to piracy. A better idea would be to make a PRX to decrypt physical UMD outside of the ISO modes.

Trigun

This is great news for folks who want to play legitimately on a custom firmware.

They sound bitter.

piracy has been around forever. Nothing is going to change it much.
No matter what , people will do it just because they can.

Just like people pirated Famicom disk system games and sold them because they could. Sure if I remember right it killed the system, but it had it's own issues anyway.
A decryptor is lame, it'll just lead to piracy. A better idea would be to make a PRX to decrypt physical UMD outside of the ISO modes.

wouldn't that require reading and writing to the UMD? which isn't possible ?

Let the pirates be pirates. Some of us like using ISO's of our UMD's.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

I agree. I care about this stuff,
If you don't , then don't come in the thread. Just IGNORE IT. I for one don't want to lose my homebrew or the abilty to play my umd games without my battery dying on my 1000 within 4 hours. It's easier to carry mutliple games I OWN on a memory stick than carry the umd's and risk scratching them.

They sound bitter.

piracy has been around forever. Nothing is going to change it much.
No matter what , people will do it just because they can.

Just like people pirated Famicom disk system games and sold them because they could. Sure if I remember right it killed the system, but it had it's own issues anyway.

Let me just clarify a few things.

I have nothing about new developments in the homebrew scene, I just don't like things that bring bad developments to the scene.

Bear with me on this small detail: the homebrew scene has been plagued by piracy ever since day 1 almost. This has severely hurt the PSP and it's fanbase directly. At one point companies like UbiSoft dropped PSP development altogether because the risk was too great. If people complain about the lack of good games, its THEIR own fault. If they pirated less then they would be served with better games. But no, they got huge spoons of shovelware, and as the homebrew died, so did the interest to own a PSP.

See where I'm going?

I love a good HB game and maybe nice apps - unlike you guys think (I used to use zx81's applications a lot, for example). I just think it's sad for people to use the homebrew scene as an excuse to condone piracy. Come up with all the excuses you want to pirate, in the end you're only ending yourself.

I finish this post with this for you people to think on: Imagine all the trouble and money Sony spent to bring back real games on the PSP. Sony has given the PSP one last chance to live, now it's up to you. Either it lives, or it finally dies.

Trigun

Let me just clarify a few things.

I have nothing about new developments in the homebrew scene, I just don't like things that bring bad developments to the scene.

Bear with me on this small detail: the homebrew scene has been plagued by piracy ever since day 1 almost. This has severely hurt the PSP and it's fanbase directly. At one point companies like UbiSoft dropped PSP development altogether because the risk was too great. If people complain about the lack of good games, its THEIR own fault. If they pirated less then they would be served with better games. But no, they got huge spoons of shovelware, and as the homebrew died, so did the interest to own a PSP.

See where I'm going?

I love a good HB game and maybe nice apps - unlike you guys think (I used to use zx81's applications a lot, for example). I just think it's sad for people to use the homebrew scene as an excuse to condone piracy. Come up with all the excuses you want to pirate, in the end you're only ending yourself.

I finish this post with this for you people to think on: Imagine all the trouble and money Sony spent to bring back real games on the PSP. Sony has given the PSP one last chance to live, now it's up to you. Either it lives, or it finally dies.

It's not like piracy didn't start out with other systems so early. The xbox was a piracy and modding craze.
And Ubisoft? Not like they made any decent games for the psp anyway, I admit in the early years of the psp, piracy did cause problems towards game sales(yes i'm looking at you Megaman Remakes :() but after the first year or two it really didn't impact it that much. Every butt pirate on the face of the planet probably pirated Crisis core yet the game still sold over a million copies or something like that.

And as far as homebrew goes, I use mostly emulators only, because I have games for older systems that I no longer have the original systems anymore. Or it might be more convient to play it on my psp , OR even play part of it on my psp and then transfer the emu save file to my xbox and finish it on my tv.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
If I had to take a guess on the percentage of PSP owners who use own a homebrew enabled PSP, I would say it would be less than 5%. People are very quick to blame this subset of the owners for everything that is wrong with the handheld.

That 5% is not going to make a big impact on sales figures of UMD games.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
If I had to take a guess on the percentage of PSP owners who use own a homebrew enabled PSP, I would say it would be less than 5%. People are very quick to blame this subset of the owners for everything that is wrong with the handheld.

That 5% is not going to make a big impact on sales figures of UMD games.

Last I check ESPALPSP.com and PSPISO.com combined had almost 2 Million registered users (that was last year for a paper I did on piracy). Not counting those that use Mininova. Even if it's not a lot, It's still enough to scare away dev's.

eldiablov

Contributor
Last I check ESPALPSP.com and PSPISO.com combined had almost 2 Million registered users (that was last year for a paper I did on piracy). Not counting those that use Mininova. Even if it's not a lot, It's still enough to scare away dev's.

You could cut that number in half without counting dupes on both websites and bots.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team

Right. There are about 52 million PSP units purchased worldwide. Your two million registered users account for between 3-4% of the userbase.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Right. There are about 52 million PSP units purchased worldwide. Your two million registered users account for between 3-4% of the userbase.

I know what you mean. But if you were the CEO or Boss of a dev team wouldn't the potential loss of 2 Million sales scare you? It sure would to me.