• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

5.55 Games Decryption

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I know what you mean. But if you were the CEO or Boss of a dev team wouldn't the potential loss of 2 Million sales scare you? It sure would to me.

Of course, a loss of two million sales would scare anyone. You're not framing those figures properly.

But the fact of the matter is that you are not losing two million sales since there is no guarantee that every single PSP owner is going to purchase whatever game your making.

Discounting 2 million potential purchasers may be a hard pill for you to swallow, but would you rather not making something because of those two million, or would you like to make something for the potential 50 million?

I think you know what the answer is to that question.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Of course, a loss of two million sales would scare anyone. You're not framing those figures properly.

But the fact of the matter is that you are not losing two million sales since there is no guarantee that every single PSP owner is going to purchase whatever game your making.

Discounting 2 million potential purchasers may be a hard pill for you to swallow, but would you rather not making something because of those two million, or would you like to make something for the potential 50 million?

I think you know what the answer is to that question.

Again, agreed.

But still, if you account the money spent on R&D, salaries and so on, and the price point the PSP Devkit was at. It was a risk. Remember that not more than about 10 games have sold more than 2 Million copies.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I understand what you are saying, but I wholeheartedly disagree that homebrew enabled PSP's have had any effects on what a development studio does and the decisions they make.

Piracy related decisions from developers and publishers only come into play with PC only games, in my opinion. I feel pretty strongly that the home console and handheld market pirates do not play a deciding factor at all in whether a game gets made and released. (Along with the quality of said home and handheld games.)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I understand what you are saying, but I wholeheartedly disagree that homebrew enabled PSP's have had any effects on what a development studio does and the decisions they make.

Piracy related decisions from developers and publishers only come into play with PC only games, in my opinion. I feel pretty strongly that the home console and handheld market pirates do not play a decision at all in whether a game gets made and released. (ALong with the quality of said home and handheld games.)

Well that's your point of view :p Still even so I think piracy in consoles still has a weight, however small it might be.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Piracy related decisions from developers and publishers only come into play with PC only games, in my opinion. I feel pretty strongly that the home console and handheld market pirates do not play a deciding factor at all in whether a game gets made and released. (Along with the quality of said home and handheld games.)

I agree. When low sales hit, they need to pin the blame on something to look good towards shareholders. Piracy is just an easy target.

Not saying it isn't responsible for stunting sales, but the impact it has - on the whole - is very small compared to say the used games market.

Erland

I for fact piracy has been around for ages. My father used to pirate Commadore64 games back in the day.

If Piracy was killing the PSP then it's doing worse to the WII and the 360. I know more people with them modded for Piracy then the PSP.

Also when a developer or a manufacture starts anything they expect piracy to be part of the game. Also they know that most games that are pirated would never be bought by the person pirating it to begin with. e.g. Out of the 300 games I have in ISO I have only bought 15 actual UMD's because those are the only ones I actually support. I would never have ever bought the other 285 games. So it was never a loss on their part and they know this.

Anyway you look at it fuck it I'm just happy that something is coming out I want to play G.I.Joe...

fenerche

So,the games will only run on 5.03/5.50 gen? No cfwe? And i was just going to preorder AC. Still hope it works on cfwe though.

SpAMCAN

Would be an incentive to go back to GEN I suppose. I just like the GUI of CFWe, and the occasional update here or there.

insane

So,the games will only run on 5.03/5.50 gen? No cfwe? And i was just going to preorder AC. Still hope it works on cfwe though.
I think you guys need look at this in perspective, 1 yoshihiro is associated with pspgen, 2 the anoucement of this decryption app comes from pspgen. As this is pretty much a pspgen associated release, I don't know why you are surprised that the description omits any references to firmwares other than Gen. Now here is a quote from the article: "games like MotorStorm should pass on all the consoles and custom firmware 5.50GEN even 5.03GEN." Where in that sentence is the word only?

BlackSheep

NVM! here's the list
naruto shippuden akatsuki legends rising EUR EUR NON NO
GI Jo GI Jo EUR EUR OUI YES
Armored core 3 Armored Core 3 JAP JAP OUI YES
Motorstorm Artic Edge Artic Edge Motorstorm EUR EUR OUI YES
Colin MC Rae Dirt 2 Colin McRae Dirt 2 EUR EUR OUI YES
AFL Challenge AFL Challenge US U.S. OUI YES
Rudby league challenge Rudby league challenge US U.S. OUI YES
Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days US U.S. OUI YES
Hitman Reborn battle arena 2 Hitman Reborn Battle Arena 2 JAP JAP OUI(GEN ONLY) YES (GEN ONLY)
Temp

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It seems Yoshihiro isn't too bad after all. Google his ass(Slang, not insulting) from like 2006.

I'm not a fan of piracy but good job, I guess.

Adiuvo

People still shouldn't forget what he did though. One 'good' deed doesn't make everything else he did right.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
He has done two now:) But I am unaware of what he did would some one mind telling me?:huh:

He was part of the PS1P debacle, for one.

One of the saddest pieces in PSP Homebrew history.

rileysnotz

People still shouldn't forget what he did though. One 'good' deed doesn't make everything else he did right.

I haven't been around long enough to know what happened. I did try to google it but all I kept pulling up from 2006 was some sort of controversy about the 2.0 downgrader and PS1 emulation. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :huh:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I haven't been around long enough to know what happened. I did try to google it but all I kept pulling up from 2006 was some sort of controversy about the 2.0 downgrader and PS1 emulation. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :huh:

As far as PS1P was concerned, it was found that he had stolen the code from another dev, iirc.

Hellcat

Contributor
Bleh, everyone is just stealing or patching the work of others these days, so cut the crap :p

Yoshi is part of the PSP.... well.... "call it whatever you want" quite much from the beginning.
Team WAB (or WAP?) and those.
He has been silent for ages and does some stuff again.

No clue why I'm posting this *lol* just crossed my mind I felt like sharing :D