• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Basilisk II for the PSP

Chilly Willy

Contributor
b2pspwc0.jpg

The official release of Basilisk II for the PSP is here! Features include:

• Emulates a Mac II series machine running OS 7.0.1 through 8.1, depending on the ROM used.
  • Uses UAE CPU emulation, with new SoftFloat FPU emulation for better compatibility.
  • The PSP memstick can be mounted on the Mac desktop (requires File Manager 1.2).
  • Supports on-the-fly change of colors and resolution (requires Display Manager).
  • Has stereo, 16-bit, 44kHz audio (requires Sound Manager 3.0).
  • Supports emulated floppy and CDROM with removable media (no CD audio yet).
  • Supports up to four hardfiles for use as fixed drives.
  • UDP tunnel for AppleTalk networking across WIFI (no general networking yet).
  • Emulates a Mac Extended ADB keyboard and mouse. Buttons can be remapped on-the-fly, and popular IR keyboards are supported on the Phat PSP.
  • Supports extra memory and TV out on the Slim PSP.

I made changes to the non-platform-specific code (particularly the FPU emulation), so I've bumped the version to 1.1. I'll probably make some changes and bug fixes later, so I'm calling this 1.1.0. Two main downloads for the binary and one of the source are available. The larger binary archive comes with a nice BIG guide, so I archived it with 7zip. If you don't know how to handle 7zip, google it.

EDIT 2008/07/31: Now updated to 1.1.1. Changes include - newer code base. IR keyboard files made relative and included with program (should help people who don't know who to setup pspirkeyb). IR keyboard was verified working with 4.01 M33-2. Program is slightly faster (about six percent). Added two 16: 9 video modes to the Mac side for people who use the LCD or an HDTV.

BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.1.zip
BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.1-src.7z
BasiliskII-PSP-Guide.7z note - this is JUST the guide file

old stuff...
Mirrors:
BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.0.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjdvjfpjgtj
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n1p8ev

BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.0-src.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y0cjh31jxud
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3gftrp

BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.0-with-guide.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?i0jqjcyw0ly
http://www.sendspace.com/file/aoug6s

Attachments

• BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.0.zip
    877.7 KB · Views: 4,166
  • BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.0-with-guide.7z
    2.6 MB · Views: 6,287
  • BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.0-src.7z
    1.2 MB · Views: 379
  • BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.1.zip
    883.4 KB · Views: 2,043
  • BasiliskII-PSP-1.1.1-src.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 353
  • BasiliskII-PSP-Guide.7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 418

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Mostly playing certain older games that never made it elsewhere, like Spectre or Arashi. I've also got a MultiMedia Encyclopedia for the Mac that runs on it. I know of a couple planetarium type programs you could run for when you were out at a star-party and didn't want to bring a laptop.

The applications are as varied as your imagination. :)

dennis96411

Aren't you J.F. on the ps2dev forum?

ElShotte

Hey Chilly Willy, good job on porting the emu man! I'm about to install Mac OS 8 on this thing. I have a question though, in the Read Me (Thanks alot BTW) you mentioned that on PSP Slim you can have up to 40 Mb of RAM for the emu, whilst I can only do 13 Mb max, thought this was decided by the current ROM, but the max for my is 36 Mb. Any clue man?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
The amount of memory is determined by two things: Phat or Slim, and what plugins you're running. On my Slim with just a screenshot plugin, I can get 41 MB. My brother's Phat with no plugins gets 13 MB. If you use more/larger plugins, you'll get less memory for the emu.

ElShotte

No plugins whatsoever, stock 3.71 FIRMWARE. I just tried an 8.6 ISO twice, both times PSP turns off on "Smiley Mac" (booting), will try that preinstalled OS 7 you posted earlier.

EDIT: Ok, Im in OS 7, rather speedy so far. Can't access the MS probably due to fileformat...

Chilly Willy

Contributor
No plugins whatsoever, stock 3.71 FIRMWARE. I just tried an 8.6 ISO twice, both times PSP turns off on "Smiley Mac" (booting), will try that preinstalled OS 7 you posted earlier.

EDIT: Ok, Im in OS 7, rather speedy so far. Can't access the MS probably due to fileformat...

Anything beyond 8.1 is PPC only. 8.6 will NEVER work on B2. :wink:

Reading the memstick takes FileManager 1.2 or better, which started with 7.5.3 or something in that area.

Stock 3.71 won't run anything, much less B2. You need custom firmware. :laugh::biggrin:

Even then, 3.71 M33 is not a recommended version of the cfw. Update. 3.71 changed all the NIDs, but doesn't have the NID Resolver like 3.80 M33 or newer. Either run older cfw, or newer. Avoid 3.71.

ElShotte

Hmm... yeah I got 3.71 CFW... but stock. So I can run B2. Oh, and activating VM will cause it to crash on boot. Now onto updating my firmware...

EDIT: Just updated to 3.93, yeah I can set the memory to 41 Mb now. What are the chances of getting PPC support?

ElShotte

PPC support?

Reason Im attempting this is because I want to play RTS on my PSP. Warcraft 2 and StarCraft mainly. They both require a PPC processor. I am sure the game would run fine anyway, but still...

Chilly Willy

Contributor
PPC support?

Reason Im attempting this is because I want to play RTS on my PSP. Warcraft 2 and StarCraft mainly. They both require a PPC processor. I am sure the game would run fine anyway, but still...

Basilisk II is the 68K emu. No PPC at all. There is a 68K version of WC2. I've got that (it's actually a dual-format CD - works for both PC and Mac 68K). Not sure if there was a 68K version of StarCraft.

While it would be possible to port the PPC emu to the PSP, it would be dog slow, even with JIT. I don't have any intentions of working on that any time soon.