• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Building A Notebook

BlackSheep

Alright I want to build a super awesome notebook but I dont know how:scared:

Price is not a factor
Things I want on it
Size 14-16 in"
8 gig ram or more
a the best graphics card i can put in it
a hd 1080 p screen
a 1-2 tb HD
5 MP Web cam
good speakers
4 usb ports a mic and headset port a SD/MMC/SM/MS-PRO/xD and a CF/Microdrive HDMI port PS/2 connector Video Graphics Array VGA connector
N wifi 3g if possible
2 ethernet ports
a battery that can last at least 4 hours
a beast of a cpu
I can always buy a separate external cd drive

I might of forgoten something
im going to use it for mostly gaming

Moose

Meta Moose
When you say build a notebook, do you mean buy the components seperate and then put it together yourself?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It'll be impossible to find a laptop that has a smaller than 16inch screen that is 1080p. Also, no powerful laptop would have a battery life of more than four hours. Sorry but choosing a laptop is all about compromise unlike building a desktop

Personally, I would get a decent and portable notebook for a cheaper price and spend the remainder on upgrading/building a better desktop PC for gaming.

Laptops generally suck for gaming IMO; getting a good GPU costs a mint (just to reach desktop caliber), and you end up playing on a smaller screen.

Back on topic, consider shrinking your resolution goal. 1920x1080 would be generally indiscernible from something like 1280x720, or even lower. For a 14-16" I would recommend at max a resolution of about 1600x900. Out of my own experience, notebooks become unwieldy after the 15" mark. 13" is the size that I find is a good tradeoff between screen real estate and portability. Of course, this depends solely on your own needs.

Out of curiosity, why would you need two ethernet ports?

LocutusEstBorg

1920x1200 on a 15" screen is PAINFUL to look at. When reinstalling Windows 7 on the laptop, it automatically set the zoom level to 125% so stuff was bigger.

Wait for GTX480M SLI if you want a monster. Otherwise settle for a GTX480M. It should be as good as a desktop GTX260.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Whenever a manufacturer puts two in a laptop. The GPUs already support SLI. It won't give more than an hour of battery life though. A single 480M alone will give 2 hours max.

Yeah I'm sure Blacksheep has 5k to blow on a laptop :neutral:

ilyace

Whenever a manufacturer puts two in a laptop. The GPUs already support SLI. It won't give more than an hour of battery life though. A single 480M alone will give 2 hours max.

Who in their right minds would purchase a laptop knowing ahead of time they're not gonna get more than an hour of batter life -.-

Hardrive

Contributor
If you're serious about getting a decent gaming experience on the pc, you're much better off building a desktop.

Plus, as somebody mentioned earlier, you'll get a more powerful gaming desktop and still have money left for a low powered laptop. And you'll still wind up spending less than a gaming laptop.

BlackSheep

If you're serious about getting a decent gaming experience on the pc, you're much better off building a desktop.

I plan on getting a desktop before the netbook but i want some thing for gaming on the road (no ds psp)
dont desktops cost more than netbooks?

Hardrive

Contributor
I plan on getting a desktop before the netbook but i want some thing for gaming on the road (no ds psp)
dont desktops cost more than netbooks?

A low end desktop can cost the same as a netbook. A gaming PC will probably be about half the price of an equivalent gaming laptop.