• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Building A Notebook

Hardrive

Contributor
alright about how much would it cost to build a desktop with everything in the 1st post

I don't know because I haven't had money for a while so I haven't been watching parts prices. My estimate would be $1000 without a monitor. But I honestly have no clue.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Around $2k if you go GTX480 SLI, which is overkill unless you plan on getting a 2560x1600 display (adds another $1k) or multiple monitors. The build in my sig cost close to $3k, and prices haven't changed much since then.

Seth

MD Party Room
About 1.5k if you really feel like it. Just did a quick roundup on newegg

BlackSheep

4k with a monitor is doable. but im not much of a multiple monitor type of guy and i dont like the monitor to big i like the size on the current one i have but it gets blurry some times and its hard to look at. 1280x768/60Hz

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
4k with a monitor is doable. but im not much of a multiple monitor type of guy and i dont like the monitor to big i like the size on the current one i have but it gets blurry some times and its hard to look at. 1280x768/60Hz

Get a 1080p monitor and a single GTX480 then. That'll cost around $1.5k. You could also throw in an SSD and still stay under $2k.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
If you're considering getting a computer build with a GTX480, I'd actually recommend getting two GTX460s in SLI. Two of them cost less than a single 480 yet together, they have performance that betters the 480 by around 30% on average.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
If you're considering getting a computer build with a GTX480, I'd actually recommend getting two GTX460s in SLI. Two of them cost less than a single 480 yet together, they have performance that betters the 480 by around 30% on average.

But you have to deal with SLI issues then. 30% better is a best case scenario I think.. not every game will scale that well. It's a tradeoff imo.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

MenaceInc

Staff Member
But you have to deal with SLI issues then. 30% better is a best case scenario I think.. not every game will scale that well. It's a tradeoff imo.

Amazing SLI Scaling: Do Two GeForce GTX 460s Beat One GTX 480 ...

the main comparasion in question

image021.png

Games tested included
Aliens Vs Predator
Modern Warfare 2
Crysis
Dirt 2
STALKER: Call of Pripyat

For any games that do have SLI issues then a single GTX460 would handle it fine, it's just the more graphics heavy games that would need the second one.

Hardrive

Contributor
Amazing SLI Scaling: Do Two GeForce GTX 460s Beat One GTX 480 ...

the main comparasion in question

[qimg]http://media.bestofmicro.com/C/Z/255779/original/image021.png[/qimg]

Games tested included
Aliens Vs Predator
Modern Warfare 2
Crysis
Dirt 2
STALKER: Call of Pripyat

For any games that do have SLI issues then a single GTX460 would handle it fine, it's just the more graphics heavy games that would need the second one.
The problem with SLI is it only exposes one card's RAM to the OS. So you lose a lot of what you paid for. Buying one card is typically more future proof than buying two cards. This comes from somebody that bought two cards in a similar situation and regretted it two months later.

You don't always have to buy high end to enjoy all of today's games. Plus, if you keep you're current screen (which you sound like you're happy with), the resolution's only 1280x720 which most cards can easily push, with performance to spare.

Current Specs
with a GeForce 6200 TubroCache

Screenshot size :argh:.

LocutusEstBorg

For laptops, make sure you get a desktop i7 CPU like a i7 930, or the 3.0Ghz i5. Sager/Clevo makes these. If they have Optimus technology then battery life will be very good while not gaming.

You can get 1920x1200 on a 15" screen too.

I'd never use a laptop for gaming though. 60FPS is an absolute must for multiplayer games which a laptop won't do no matter what.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor