• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Can't decide

Slasher

Suck It
Honestly, I would go with the PSP. You said yourself that you have plenty of ps1 games you can be playing, and there's an arsenal of PSP games to play as well. You'd probably get more bang for your buck versus buying a few PS3 games.

I'm sure it would be nice having a functional PSP once again too :)

Bran

Yell
Hiratai has been banned from the thread. Guy can't take a hint.

Thanks I was worried about the integrity of my thread and it getting shut down before I make a final decision, but he did pretty much make me realize the use I'd be getting from a new PSP.

Kinda funny he pushed me more to getting a PSP despite all the bashing of it.

Also, is this a good monitor for the price?

Bump:
Honestly, I would go with the PSP. You said yourself that you have plenty of ps1 games you can be playing, and there's an arsenal of PSP games to play as well. You'd probably get more bang for your buck versus buying a few PS3 games.

I'm sure it would be nice having a functional PSP once again too :)

Yeah, I think I'll go with the PSP.

Is there any chance the 3000 will be hacked any time soon? Should I get a 2000 or stick with the 1000.

Is a refurbished 1000 reliable enough?

Slasher

Suck It
PSP-3000 is sort of hard to tell whether it will be hacked soon or not... There has been some progress but there's still a chance that Sony has actually closed off the gap to custom firmwares. Honestly, I'm not sure, it could go either way.

I would personally strive for a refurbished silver PSP-2000, I have one myself and its been great. It gives you some of the hardware upgrades from the 1000, making it lighter, different WLAN switch layout, different UMD drive, plug in USB, etc. Plus, if it were refurbished there's probably a greater possibility of it being an older model 2000, hence allowing it to be hacked. It's a bit of a gamble though, so maybe keep the receipt handy in case you need to do a few trade backs to get the one you need

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Hiratai has been banned from the thread. Guy can't take a hint.
didn't he just got ban?
anyway, I say get the ps3 games, since you already had an psp.
If you like homebrew really really much, which is ice breaker then get the psp.
edit- if you do get the psp, make sure its used or something its an higher chance you can hack it.
Also psp-2000 for the win.

twelve

I'm not dead
Thanks I was worried about the integrity of my thread and it getting shut down before I make a final decision, but he did pretty much make me realize the use I'd be getting from a new PSP.

Kinda funny he pushed me more to getting a PSP despite all the bashing of it.

Also, is this a good monitor for the price?

Bump:

Yeah, I think I'll go with the PSP.

Is there any chance the 3000 will be hacked any time soon? Should I get a 2000 or stick with the 1000.

Is a refurbished 1000 reliable enough?
Monitor seems a good price.

I'd go for a 2000, it's what I've got and it works great. The loss of 1.5 kernel hasn't affected homebrew/emulation for me in the slightest.

Seth

MD Party Room
If your going to 2000 get the GOW PSP I loved that thing when I had it..

If your not going to play the ps3 games right away then get the psp..

Tho your going to regret it when e3 2009 and psp2 gets shown off...Or wait for a DSi...

Also anyway you go you can trade in the games or the psp and get eather or..By adding 50 bucks or less..

twelve

I'm not dead
Tho your going to regret it when e3 2009 and psp2 gets shown off...Or wait for a DSi...
How is that relevant?

1. The PSP2 is a dream at this point in time. If it is announced at E3 09 then it won't be out until at least 2010.
2. The PSP2 won't be backwards compatible, the UMD was a failure, we know this, Sony know this.
3. The PSP2 won't be instantly hackable like the PSP.
4. The DSi is a Nintendo product and does not compare to the PSP in anyway.

Z, if you want a new PSP go for it. PS3 games will only get cheaper with time, whereas PSP 2000's will go up in price as they get harder to get hold of since the 3000 has launched.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
@z357x
I'm in the same boat as you, I can't decide whether or not I should even get a new one. My old one can't hold a charge anymore, and is very scratched, and I think it would be nice to have tv out. However, it's too hard for me to spend money, and even harder when I already have a psp.

why can't sony just let us have psp games on ps3? the ps3 could use the psp as an external umd drive.
----
what format do you think the psp2 will play? I hear a lot of people saying download only, but I think that would be too risky at this point in time.

Slasher

Suck It
@z357x
why can't sony just let us have psp games on ps3? the ps3 could use the psp as an external umd drive.
Hmm, that's actually not a bad idea. If a PSP can read an ISO through usbhost to a comps harddrive, then I wonder if the PS3 could do something similar by reading the UMD through a USB connection to the PSP. The chance of this happening is probably really slim though, it would probably require a ps3 or psp hardware upgrade.
what format do you think the psp2 will play? I hear a lot of people saying download only, but I think that would be too risky at this point in time.
It's impossible to tell at this point in time. There's no notion to believe that a PSP2 would even be made

Bran

Yell
Z, if you want a new PSP go for it. PS3 games will only get cheaper with time, whereas PSP 2000's will go up in price as they get harder to get hold of since the 3000 has launched.
That's a great point.
anyway, I say get the ps3 games, since you already had an psp.
If you like homebrew really really much, which is ice breaker then get the psp.
edit- if you do get the psp, make sure its used or something its an higher chance you can hack it.
Also psp-2000 for the win.
Everyone seems to skip the large post I made about how dead my 1001 is. Which I loved till it pretty much couldn't play games anymore.
If your going to 2000 get the GOW PSP I loved that thing when I had it..
If your not going to play the ps3 games right away then get the psp..
Also anyway you go you can trade in the games or the psp and get eather or..By adding 50 bucks or less..
So the red one can be hacked? awesome. I'm gonna get that.

I would only be playing the PS3 games for like a couple weeks and then be screwed cause I don't have a monitor.

Slasher

Suck It
So the red one can be hacked? awesome. I'm gonna get that.

Check out here.

It seems as though it's possible to hack it, but you're going to need to create the pandora battery from your phat psp, or hardmod the battery. Can it still run programs? If it still can, then softmod it. The GOW PSPs have a newer type of motherboard that doesn't allow the softmodding of pandora batteries. Other than that, I think that's it. Good to go

Bran

Yell
My fat PSP's batter is in bad shape, how can I tell if it'll work with pandora?

The battery does not hold much of a charge and it's kinda... bloated. As if some of the battery's insides got fucked up as some point.

Slasher

Suck It
That sounds pretty fucked. You might need to buy a new battery ($10~30 probably).

You could always try hardmodding the GOW battery, but I wouldn't recommend it. There's a potential for it to get ruined because of that

Bran

Yell
I just tore apart my battery and the circuitry looks fine. I'm gonna see what I can see about it.

PsypheR

Everyone seems to skip the large post I made about how dead my 1001 is. Which I loved till it pretty much couldn't play games anymore.

We read it. You gave us a choice, and we gave you our opinions. You never mentioned how much you loved the PSP in your first post. So obviously, the PSP would be the better choice.

GET THE PSP :tup:

twelve

I'm not dead
If you can't make a Pandora battery you could always buy one and a magic memory stick on ebay. Or buy the Datel Tool battery. Or buy a pre-modded PSP (My Crisis Core PSP came pre-modded, literally just opened to install M33 firmware and never played).

Bran

Yell
We read it. You gave us a choice, and we gave you our opinions. You never mentioned how much you loved the PSP in your first post. So obviously, the PSP would be the better choice.

GET THE PSP :tup:
I mean all the people who were like "you already have a PSP? get the games?"
I'm just working out which to get now.
If you can't make a Pandora battery you could always buy one and a magic memory stick on ebay. Or buy the Datel Tool battery. Or buy a pre-modded PSP (My Crisis Core PSP came pre-modded, literally just opened to install M33 firmware and never played).
If I buy a new battery, are the official ones ok to get?

Slasher

Suck It
Buying an official one is fine, so long as your fat PSP can run homebrew long enough to pandora it.

Also, I would suggest investing some money into a PSP case (or pouch at least; that's what I use) so that your new PSP doesn't end up as destroyed as your old one :p

Seth

MD Party Room
Idk but I think I heard new battery dont work with pandora..Not 100% tho..