• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Dead Space

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
So I finally had some free time to sit down and play a little bit of this game. I finished the first two levels in about 90 minutes while going at a pretty methodical pace looking for any hidden items or power nodes, etc.

I've been looking forward to this releasing for a while and so far it hasn't disappointed. Graphically speaking, I'm not going to complain about it as I haven't noticed anything annoying yet. The zero-G part I played so far was short, but interesting.

I haven't really been surprised or startled by anything yet and all of the surprise moments have been pretty predicable this far into it. The controls are good and you really do have to de-limb the enemies that I've come across so far to slow them down the quickest.

I can already see that I will be fighting with the inventory system for most of the game, even though the first thing I bought from the store was the next level suit to free up some space and add a little defense.

It reminds me a lot of RE4 on my first playthough with the camera angles it takes when shooting, and that's not a bad thing. Some of the sounds and music are also reminiscent.

I downloaded all of the comics from the PS Store, so it gave a good amount of background info on what went down prior to the game time line starting. If you plan on picking this up or renting it, you should watch those first.

Has anyone else picked this up yet?

Note: Xbox 360 achievements are the same but with numerical value

BRONZE TROPHIES
Dead on Arrival - Complete Chapter 1 on any setting
Lab Rat - Complete Chapter 2 on any setting
All Systems Go - Complete Chapter 3 on any setting
Cannon Fodder - Complete Chapter 4 on any setting
True Believer - Complete Chapter 5 on any setting
Greenhouse Effect - Complete Chapter 6 on any setting
S.O.S. - Complete Chapter 7 on any setting
Strange Transmissions - Complete Chapter 8 on any setting
Wreckage - Complete Chapter 9 on any setting
Keeper of the Faith - Complete Chapter 10 on any setting
Betrayed - Complete Chapter 11 on any setting
Exodus - Complete Chapter 12 on any setting
Pack Rat - Store 25 items in Safe
Story Teller - Collect Half of all Logs
Z-Baller - Complete Level 6 in Zero-G Basketball
Merchant - Collect 5 schematics
Armstrong - TK shoot 50 objects
Marksman - Dismember 5 Limbs
Surgeon - Dismember 250 Limbs
Freeze - Use Statis on 50 Enemies
Crackshot - Achieve a perfect score in the Shooting Gallery
Air Alert - Zero G jump over 100 times
Brawler - Kill at least 50 enemies with a melee attack
Ragdoll Check - Force an enemy into a gravity panel
Big Spender - Spend 500,000 credits at the store
Full Contact - Kill 20 enemies with the Contact Beam
A Cut Above - Kill 20 enemies with the Ripper
Tool Time - Kill 20 enemies with the Plasma Cutter
Pusher - Kill 20 enemies with the Force Gun
Live with the Hot Ones - Kill 20 enemies with the Flamethrower
Autofire - Kill 20 enemies with the Pulse Rifle
Eviscerator - Kill 20 enemies with the Line Gun
There’s Always Peng - Find the Peng Treasure
Brute Force - Kill a Brute
Exterminator - Kill the Leviathan
Get off my ship! - Kill the Slug Boss
Mindless Prey - Kill the Hive Mind
Playing Catch - Catch a Brute or Leviathan Pod using Kinesis
Kickin it - Escape from a Lurker’s grab attack 10 times
Don’t get cocky, kid - Survive the ADS Canon with over 50% Shield strength remaining
Slugger - Kill the Slug Boss with more than 50% Shield strength remaining

SILVER TROPHIES
Survivor - Beat the game on any difficulty setting
Legend Teller - Collect all Logs
Full Arsenal - Own every Weapon in the game
Butcher - Dismember 500 Limbs

GOLD TROPHIES
Epic Tier 3 Engineer - Complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting
One Gun - Beat the game using only the Plasma Cutter
Maxed Out - Upgrade all weapons and equipment

PLATINUM TROPHY
Platinum - Collect all other trophies

twelve

I'm not dead
I don't think it's out here yet. I plan on picking it up though.

I think the weirdest part will be seeing an EA logo when it loads up. I don't think I've seen one of them since Burnout Paradise.

twelve

I'm not dead
Not out until next friday here. Which is the same day LBP is out. Dead Space will have to wait a while.

Joey

I'm gonna rent it tomorrow. I'm a little pussy, so I usually don't care for horror games, but apparently, this game is not all that scary, so I do want.

**EDIT**

You know what? Fuck that, it's coming out for PC next week, so I'm just gonna pirate it. I usually wouldn't, but I don't have a job, and I have less than $600 to last me until I find one. So, if you have a problem, you can suck it.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm halfway through now and still having a good time. There is still way too much inventory and item management though. Once you figure out the best way to take out the different enemies and get comfortable with the Stasis (time slow) ability, you become a surgeon.

I have a boss battle coming up, but haven't seen it yet. Apparently it's huge according to computer logs ans other warnings.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Once it comes out for the PC I am so going to buy it.

twelve

I'm not dead
Gutya said:
I'm still waiting for a PAL leak.

Highly anticipated for me.
I take it that it's region locked then, which would make sense as EA seem to be the only people that do that anymore.

Friday's the release day so PAL leaks should be any day now.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I’m on the 8th level at the moment, had a busy weekend and didn’t have time to play anything. My suit is upgraded to Level 4 and it looks like there is only one more level beyond that. I haven’t really been upgraded any weapons, but solely using the Power Nodes that I find to beef up my air supply on my suit and the HP of my suit. (I read that when you start a new game after finishing, you can keep all of your equipment and upgrades.)

One tip I have is to always have one Power Node handy. Most levels have one room that is locked, but can be bypassed by placing in a Power Node. These rooms usually have a good amount of supplies and the occasional schematic for a new weapon or ammo type, plus some type of item you can sell for cash.

That boss I mentioned was pretty easy. It took place in a giant cylinder in a Zero-G environment, so you can wall jump to the opposite side relatively quickly. (The boss battle reminded me a lot of the last battle in Dark Sector.)

Other than that, some tips for one enemy in particular that you will come across is a torso that grows out of a wall and then the chest rips open and tentacles come out. All the while it is spewing out little baby things that shoot projectiles towards you. To kill them quick, grab a flammable canister and use your kinesis skill to shoot it at this thing. If there isn’t one available, slow it down with stasis and cut all tentacles.

The other thing that I would recommend if you are feeling sadistic, is to let yourself get killed a few times. Some of the death sequences are pretty good. (The thing from above has a good one.) After saving hitting up a save point, I find myself running around trying to get killed to see some interesting, painful, and graphic deaths.

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
I'm probably going to buy this for PS3 when I have the cash.
Looks good.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
So I think I’m coming up on the last boss. I’m on the last level and pretty far into it and just hit a save point after doing a lot of plot related stuff. There are a ton of item containers and ammo spots right now next to this Save Point, so I’m sure I’m in the home stretch. There’s no way to max out all of your weapons on one play though, but I did max out my Rig (suit) and Stasis tech trees. (You’ll want stasis maxed on some of the later levels when you are getting attacked from all sides. You can slow down a few enemies and then turn around and slow down a few more and pick them apart.)

As far as the plot goes, it’s pretty interesting, but nothing spectacular. I didn’t use all of the weapons throughout the game. I mainly went through using the Plasma Cutter you start with, Line Gun, Pulse Rifle, and Contact Beam. I figured I could use the other weapons on my next play though, which you can start with all of your equipment and upgrades from your first game. (The rest of the weapons are Flamethrower, Ripper, and Force Gun.)

I’ve enjoyed it enough to want to play it again and max out some more weapons and look forward to beating it at some point tonight so I can start Fable 2.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
So I beat the game yesterday. (I was about to come up to the last boss.) It was a complete pushover and I was a little disappointed that it didn’t kick my ass. So after you beat the game and watch the credits, you get a few items to carry over to your next play through as a bonus. The biggest of which is the schematics for a Level 6 suit. You also get 50,000 credits and ten Power Nodes, which come in handy. I was a little disappointed in what the new suit looked like compared to the older ones. The original Level 5 suit had a nice medieval them kind of going on and the Level 6 reminded me of a Halo multi-player outfit for some reason.

The ending was pretty beat and there was one small twist with the plot in the last level. Apart from that it didn’t have much of a story apart from what you pick up in video and text logs all over the ship. I am interested in seeing where this new franchise is going though. I completely dug the animated comic prequel thing and the game helped to cement that they are trying to build a pretty big universe.

Overall I give it an 8.5/10. I started my replay to get to a store to buy the new suit, and knowing how each level plays out with your full arsenal makes things very easy.

twelve

I'm not dead
I started this game yesterday. I got up to Chapter 4 and the part where you have to shoot down asteroids. Failed that a few times and turned it off before I broke yet another controller.

Why did they have to tarnish what was up to that point a great game with such a stupid set piece?

Joey

I have it for PC, but the controls are shit for some reason. I read about the mouse and keyboard controls being unresponsive, but using a 360 controller is equally unresponsive. It seems like ever action has a delay...

Guess I'll just have to wait for somebody to return it to Blockbuster.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
twelve said:
I started this game yesterday. I got up to Chapter 4 and the part where you have to shoot down asteroids. Failed that a few times and turned it off before I broke yet another controller.

Why did they have to tarnish what was up to that point a great game with such a stupid set piece?

Took me like five tries to get past that as well. Very frustrating at first.