• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Game Icon Submissions

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
A few things to note - Xbox offers images in rectangle and square format. The current icons on the Xbox Series / One side are not custom ones. Xbox 360 only had small squares or boxart, however. The cropping issues should be on 360 games only.

I'm not sure about not having a uniform size. That's what Sony are doing now with the trophy lists on PS5, when you browse through your trophies the PS4 and earlier icons have a max-height set. It just doesn't look that good in my opinion.

Switching to square-only would work fine for PSN and Xbox for the most part, although I'm not sure about Steam. The icons there are rectangle and I couldn't see auto cropping them to square working well (logos are often off center as well, there's no standard).

Take this icon as an example... https://i.exophase.com/steam/games/o/651b07.png?1604468252

The current auto crop works fine here, but if it was auto cropped to a square it wouldn't. There are a lot of instances like this. At the moment, I'm curious how Sony will handle it on their legacy systems, presumably you will be able to view PS5 trophies from a PS4 at some point - but currently they do not show up there. It's possible they will display the rectangle icons there.

For multiplatform titles we could also auto swap the icons (i.e. a new PS5 game would automatically have its icon replaced with the Xbox one). Although this would depend on the Xbox version of a game getting inserted to the DB first, which isn't always the case

Last edited:

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
A few things to note - Xbox offers images in rectangle and square format. The current icons on the Xbox Series / One side are not custom ones. Xbox 360 only had small squares or boxart, however. The cropping issues should be on 360 games only.

I'm not sure about not having a uniform size. That's what Sony are doing now with the trophy lists on PS5, when you browse through your trophies the PS4 and earlier icons have a max-height set. It just doesn't look that good in my opinion.

Switching to square-only would work fine for PSN and Xbox for the most part, although I'm not sure about Steam. The icons there are rectangle and I couldn't see auto cropping them to square working well (logos are often off center as well, there's no standard).

Take this icon as an example... https://i.exophase.com/steam/games/o/651b07.png?1604468252

The current auto crop works fine here, but if it was auto cropped to a square it wouldn't. There are a lot of instances like this. At the moment, I'm curious how Sony will handle it on their legacy systems, presumably you will be able to view PS5 trophies from a PS4 at some point - but currently they do not show up there. It's possible they will display the rectangle icons there.

For multiplatform titles we could also auto swap the icons (i.e. a new PS5 game would automatically have its icon replaced with the Xbox one). Although this would depend on the Xbox version of a game getting inserted to the DB first, which isn't always the case
Ah, you're right I forgot the Xbox One icons are actually rectangular. Having a quick scroll through the Xbox One list the logos in them tend to be very small so I'm guessing those wide images are used as large images somewhere rather than small icons, so they're not the worst but also not ideal either.

Steam is an interesting issue (though I think even their rectangular icons are still quite often cropped awkwardly) and ultimately I prefer a uniform size like you do, but I think I dislike cropped images more. What if square was considered the standard/prefered icon shape but non-uniform sizes are used when square images aren't available? Again, making square icons from box art is much easier than the PS4 size. Alternately what if the icon frame is always square but any empty spaced is auto-filled in some way? That might be a workable compromise.

I highly doubt Sony also have rectangular icons for PS5 games just for use on the older systems. I imagine if they update the PS4 UI to display PS5 games in the trophy list they'll just appear the way they do on PS5.

I guess it's not quite as straightforward as I initially thought but I still don't think replacing every new PS5 game is very practical. I feel like there must be a way to use non-uniform icons but still make it work and look good... somehow.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Ah, you're right I forgot the Xbox One icons are actually rectangular. Having a quick scroll through the Xbox One list the logos in them tend to be very small so I'm guessing those wide images are used as large images somewhere rather than small icons, so they're not the worst but also not ideal either.

Steam is an interesting issue (though I think even their rectangular icons are still quite often cropped awkwardly) and ultimately I prefer a uniform size like you do, but I think I dislike cropped images more. What if square was considered the standard/prefered icon shape but non-uniform sizes are used when square images aren't available? Again, making square icons from box art is much easier than the PS4 size. Alternately what if the icon frame is always square but any empty spaced is auto-filled in some way? That might be a workable compromise.

I highly doubt Sony also have rectangular icons for PS5 games just for use on the older systems. I imagine if they update the PS4 UI to display PS5 games in the trophy list they'll just appear the way they do on PS5.

I guess it's not quite as straightforward as I initially thought but I still don't think replacing every new PS5 game is very practical. I feel like there must be a way to use non-uniform icons but still make it work and look good... somehow.
They have some rectangle images on the PS Store (scroll down under Editions) - https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000428

I didn't check if those are available for every game yet, almost all the PS5 games seem to have them though. Using those from the PS Store may be an option, the only issue is that sometimes trophy lists go live before there is a proper store listing (though that happens less often these days, they've stopped uploading the lists so early).

That's why I thought they might show these on the PS4 side, considering the images do exist. But it's very possible they end up just doing it the same as PS5.

What if square was considered the standard/prefered icon shape but non-uniform sizes are used when square images aren't available? Again, making square icons from box art is much easier than the PS4 size. Alternately what if the icon frame is always square but any empty spaced is auto-filled in some way? That might be a workable compromise.

May be an option, I'll have to discuss it with the rest of the team. We've also considered an alternate view for the games list that would use box art images (would be optional).

Last edited:

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
They have some rectangle images on the PS Store (scroll down under Editions) - https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000428

I didn't check if those are available for every game yet, almost all the PS5 games seem to have them though. Using those from the PS Store may be an option, the only issue is that sometimes trophy lists go live before there is a proper store listing (though that happens less often these days, they've stopped uploading the lists so early).

That's why I thought they might show these on the PS4 side, considering the images do exist. But it's very possible they end up just doing it the same as PS5.

May be an option, I'll have to discuss it with the rest of the team. We've also considered an alternate view for the games list that would use box art images (would be optional).
I'd be very surprised if they used those store images for that. They look very purpose-made for where they currently are, and I doubt they'll have them for games that just have a standard edition in the store and nothing else, but we'll see I guess.

I had a quick tinker to see how square icons and box art would look (retaining the current 127px width) and I'm actually really into it. While they aren't wider, the extra height makes them feel bigger without looking overly large. Of course even if they do look a bit big you could always set a smaller size for the compact view I guess, but screen resolutions are only getting higher all the time anyway. Any platform with square box art (see the game boy games) automatically looks great. As I've mentioned before, just cropping box art to square is so much easier, see the Tekken games before and after, looks so much better than the current auto-cropped icons.

haloooo.pngpokemooon.png
tekkenbefore.pngtekkenafter.png

Even when using box art with different heights without any cropping, the irregular sizing doesn't stand out/bother me as much as I thought it would (probably thanks to the sleek design of the site, honestly).

mariooo.png

Of course tall box art can still be trimmed shorter by removing the console banner normally across the top (Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, etc) and is often like that by default on many sites like wikipedia and giant bomb anyway.

How would you feel about three options? I'm thinking:
1. 127x70 - "Old PSN style" (if you insist on keeping it)
2. 127x127 - "New square style" any platforms without square icons use box art by default, cropped if necessary
3. 127x??? - "Full Box art" just untouched box art, fixed width but any height

Option 2 being the middleground/best of both worlds option. As I mentioned before PS5, Xbox One and Series S/X all have square icons by default and several other platforms either have square icons available or have square box art. Any that don't have either can use auto-cropped box art by default and since it's less restrictive than 127x70 the results should almost always be better.

I just thought some visual examples might be useful, let me know what you think 👍

D4n1v4l

Now there is a wrong image in it. The In-Game Editor is something different and with it you can change things directly in the game. The other one is something like the editor to change leagues and cups. Normally there was always a separate image for this, but not this year. So I had taken it out of the SteamDB.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
You know in retrospect having the "full box art" view I suggested in my previous post is probably unnecessary. Maybe ignore that part.
Since you were already considering an alternate view, how about a simple toggle between wide and square?

toggle.png

^ Something like that perhaps.
Of course that might conflict with compact mode, unless you make it so both enabled results in compact with smaller square icons.
Alternatively it could just be a dropdown list of options; Compact, Standard and Square or something.

I actually have some icons to submit this time, in both formats in case I convince you:
wide croc.pngsquare croc.png

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PS1 - Retro)​

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PS1 - Manually Added)​

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PC - Manually Added)​

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (Saturn - Manually Added)​

wide croc gbc.pngsquare croc gbc.png

Croc (GBC - Retro)​

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (GBC - Manually Added) <- rename to match

wide croc 2.pngsquare croc 2.png

Croc 2 (PS1 - Retro)​

Croc 2 (PS1 - Manually Added)​

Croc 2 (PC - Manually Added)​

Croc 2 (GBC - Manually Added)​

😊

Last edited:

nerjamartin

Hi there!

Jurassic World Evolution (XBOX One)
Some problems with the game logo (banner) and problems with some thropies icons :

1606829721297.png

Here is the official logo/banner :

1606829824075.png

1606829928896.png

For the wrong trophies icon we can use the same ones as for the ones that work.

Thanks!!!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Now there is a wrong image in it. The In-Game Editor is something different and with it you can change things directly in the game. The other one is something like the editor to change leagues and cups. Normally there was always a separate image for this, but not this year. So I had taken it out of the SteamDB.
The icon from SteamDB doesn't match our icon dimensions so it ends up looking stretched when uploaded here - can't just crop it as the height is smaller also.

That's why I used a different one. Didn't realize that wasn't the in-game editor though, found another icon from the Epic Games store that is similar to the one you posted.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
View attachment 10997View attachment 10998

Croc (GBC - Retro)​

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (GBC - Manually Added) <- rename to match

^ Looks like you missed the manual entry for Croc GBC, which currently has the title and icon from Legend of the Gobbos which is a different game. Also missed the icon for the manual Croc 2 entries, though that's less important.

Oh, question: I know we submit PNG files for custom icons, but say it's an image we found elsewhere and it's the right size but it's a JPG, should we submit a PNG copy of it or is the JPG fine? Like will the site automatically generate PNG icons when it makes the smaller sizes or will it make JPG icons if the source was JPG?

Also I'm gonna try hosting the images I submit on discord. Might not matter but it seems silly having copies of them uploaded to both the forums and the main site.

Mario Kart 64 (N64 - Retro)​

Mario Kart 64 (N64 - Manually Added)​

Mario Kart 64 (Wii Shop - Manually Added)​

Mario Kart 64 (Wii U - Manually Added)​

😄

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
^ Looks like you missed the manual entry for Croc GBC, which currently has the title and icon from Legend of the Gobbos which is a different game. Also missed the icon for the manual Croc 2 entries, though that's less important.

Oh, question: I know we submit PNG files for custom icons, but say it's an image we found elsewhere and it's the right size but it's a JPG, should we submit a PNG copy of it or is the JPG fine? Like will the site automatically generate PNG icons when it makes the smaller sizes or will it make JPG icons if the source was JPG?

Also I'm gonna try hosting the images I submit on discord. Might not matter but it seems silly having copies of them uploaded to both the forums and the main site.

Mario Kart 64 (N64 - Retro)​

Mario Kart 64 (N64 - Manually Added)​

Mario Kart 64 (Wii Shop - Manually Added)​

Mario Kart 64 (Wii U - Manually Added)​

😄
At the moment Croc GBC is linked to the same game. I realize this is incorrect, but the information for these games is pulled from GiantBomb and for some reason they have the GBC version under that title: https://www.giantbomb.com/croc-legend-of-the-gobbos/3030-9450/

They do have the correct name/box art under the variations but it seems like the GBC version should be its own listing. Anyway, I'll have to make some changes to support showing a different title for one of the platforms.

It's okay to submit images as JPG, the site always saves images as PNG when uploaded on the backend.

Also, adding a toggle for the square and wide images could work. Separate from that, for the alternate view with box art images I was considering something more visually focused. It'd be similar to how Steam shows your games in the library view, with just the images shown. Then we could have the achievement information, etc display when hovering over a game.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
At the moment Croc GBC is linked to the same game. I realize this is incorrect, but the information for these games is pulled from GiantBomb and for some reason they have the GBC version under that title: https://www.giantbomb.com/croc-legend-of-the-gobbos/3030-9450/

They do have the correct name/box art under the variations but it seems like the GBC version should be its own listing. Anyway, I'll have to make some changes to support showing a different title for one of the platforms.
Oh so you are pulling that info from Giant Bomb, neat. I haven't done much wiki editing over there in a while so I'm not sure what their guidelines are these days for separating different versions of games (I seem to remember it being a grey area) but yes that GBC Croc should be a separate listing if you ask me, completely different game.

How does this site handle changes made to their wiki? Does it update things to match at all (like pages getting deleted) or just do an occasional scan to add any new pages? I'm just thinking about cases like this where if Croc was fixed and split into separate wiki pages, this site might retain the incorrect stuff? Also does it check for box art changes or just keep whatever it got when it first looked?

It's okay to submit images as JPG, the site always saves images as PNG when uploaded on the backend.
Okay cool, that's good to know.

Also, adding a toggle for the square and wide images could work. Separate from that, for the alternate view with box art images I was considering something more visually focused. It'd be similar to how Steam shows your games in the library view, with just the images shown. Then we could have the achievement information, etc display when hovering over a game.
Oh so the box art thing was for a completely alternate layout, that's cool. How are you going to handle the different box art sizes? Cropping or fixed height or fixed width? If you went with fixed height you could do it delicious library style with digital shelves to display your game collection.

Would definitely still like the wide/square toggle though, if that's not too hard to implement :)

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Some more 👍

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GameCube - Manually Added)​

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U - Manually Added)​

Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Switch - Manually Added) <- rename to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

^ Okay so I ran into that Giant Bomb issue again. In this case it makes sense that they're on the same wiki page since the Switch version is just an enhanced port. I know you can't fix the name but if you can change the icon for the Switch entry here it is, if not it's here for when you can change it and fix the name.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Steam)​

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Xbox One)​

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch - Manually Added)​

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (PS4 - Manually Added)​

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (PC - Manually Added)​

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Xbox One - Manually Added)​

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Xbox 360)​

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Xbox 360 - Manually Added)​

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (PS3 - Manually Added)​

^ One of those early games that didn't have PS3 trophies.

🙃

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
I've been building up quite a few icons, seems like you're busy lately so I guess I'll submit them a few per post so you can check them off a post at a time and don't have to do them all at once.

Left 4 Dead (Steam)​

Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360)​

Left 4 Dead (PC - Manual)​

Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360 - Manual)​

Left 4 Dead 2 (Steam)​

Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)​

Left 4 Dead 2 (PC - Manual)​

Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360 - Manual)​

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor

Perfect Dark (N64 - Retro)​

Perfect Dark (N64 - Manual)​

Perfect Dark (Xbox 360)​

Perfect Dark (Xbox 360 Marketplace - Manual)​

^ Might not be able to change that icon if it's tied to the N64 entry, in which case leave it I guess

Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360)​

Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360 - Manual)​

Perfect Dark Zero (Xbox 360 Marketplace - Manual)​

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've been building up quite a few icons, seems like you're busy lately so I guess I'll submit them a few per post so you can check them off a post at a time and don't have to do them all at once.
No problem, I haven't uploaded your images right away as I've been busy making some changes on the backend (in particular to make it easier to upload images for the manually added games). Just keep posting them in the meantime and I'll catch up eventually :)
Oh so the box art thing was for a completely alternate layout, that's cool. How are you going to handle the different box art sizes? Cropping or fixed height or fixed width? If you went with fixed height you could do it delicious library style with digital shelves to display your game collection.

Would definitely still like the wide/square toggle though, if that's not too hard to implement :)
Yes, I was thinking fixed height.
How does this site handle changes made to their wiki? Does it update things to match at all (like pages getting deleted) or just do an occasional scan to add any new pages? I'm just thinking about cases like this where if Croc was fixed and split into separate wiki pages, this site might retain the incorrect stuff? Also does it check for box art changes or just keep whatever it got when it first looked?
Right now updates are only additive, so if platforms are removed on their side that won't be reflected here currently. I can change how that works though. But if they did add Croc GBC as a separate listing then it would get auto-added.

I did look into using IGDB as an alternative to GiantBomb: https://www.igdb.com/

They have a bigger database it seems, although they are still missing Croc GBC too.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
No problem, I haven't uploaded your images right away as I've been busy making some changes on the backend (in particular to make it easier to upload images for the manually added games). Just keep posting them in the meantime and I'll catch up eventually :)
Cool. Maybe it would be a good idea to link manually added games to corresponding tracked games somehow and have them use the same icons so you only have to upload them once? That could end up saving a lot of trouble.
Yes, I was thinking fixed height.
Sounds good, that could be really cool when combined with custom user sorting/lists at some point down the road.
Right now updates are only additive, so if platforms are removed on their side that won't be reflected here currently. I can change how that works though. But if they did add Croc GBC as a separate listing then it would get auto-added.

I did look into using IGDB as an alternative to GiantBomb: https://www.igdb.com/

They have a bigger database it seems, although they are still missing Croc GBC too.
Yeah I thought it was probably additive.

Looks like igdb try to use the same size tall clean art for all their games, which means a lot of it is already cropped beforehand or custom made, so basically like the icons I submit here only tall. They also seem to have collector's editions and ultimate editions and that sort of stuff in their database, which I'm not sure is something you want here.

I know you can't rename Croc GBC right now but I don't suppose you can just manually add in the correct version? Even if you can't delete the incorrect one that could be a short-term fix.

Every game database out there is going to handle things a bit differently and miss some stuff. Giant Bomb is probably a fine choice if you can add the ability to tweak/add stuff on the backend.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)​

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)​

Spider-Man (PS4 - Manual)​

Spider-Man (PS5 - Manual)​

^ Both names are wrong for the manual entries, which is odd since the page is named Marvel's Spider-Man on Giant Bomb, but maybe it was wrong when first added.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4)​

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)​

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4 - Manual)​

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5 - Manual)​

Spider-Man (N64 - Retro)​

Spider-Man (PS1 - Retro)​

Spider-Man (N64 - Manual)​

Spider-Man (PS1 - Manual)​

Spider-Man (PC - Manual)​

Spider-Man (Mac - Manual)​

Spider-Man (Game Boy Color - Manual)​

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor

Detroit: Become Human (Steam)​

DETROIT: BECOME HUMAN (PS4) <- rename to Detroit: Become Human

Detroit: Become Human (PC - Manual)​

Detroit: Become Human (PS4 - Manual)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox One)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (Stadia)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (Steam)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (GOG)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4 - Manual)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5 - Manual)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox One - Manual)​

Cyberpunk 2077 (Xbox Series - Manual) <- Xbox Series X/S is missing from the manual platforms?

Cyberpunk 2077 (PC - Manual)​