• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Game of the Year

Seth

MD Party Room
So since almost every major game came out this year... What your vote for game of the year..

Slasher

Suck It
I would probably have to agree with MGS4 being THE #1 GAME of 2008. Nothing comes to mind when I think "epic" for this year other than MGS4 of course.
GTA4 is another game that comes to mind that was pretty good, but I don't think it can contend with MGS4

These past few weeks have brought a lot of gems to the table, I'm just not sure if they can grab GOTY with so little time to claim it though

twelve

I'm not dead
Here's my outside GOTY:

Bioshock (PS3)

I loved it on 360 and loved it again on PS3. I love that game so much.

MGS4... It's a 4 hour game with 16 hours of cutscenes. It's an epic experience but take away the cutscenes and it's a pitifully short game, and for that reason alone it's not GOTY material to me.

GTA4... Great story, missions are too repetitive tho. And R* forgot to include the fun.

_Syn

I have no idea which one would be the best game of the year but:

MGS4: Great storyline, which had it's twists and turns. If you couldn't finish a mission, it'll get you to keep trying instead of putting the controller down and saying screw this game.

CoD4: Not a lot of people would agree with this, but it's the best-selling multiplayer game in the market. But now that it has CoD: WaW to back it up, I think this has potential.

Joey

I played MGS4 for about 20 minutes, and gave up... Just saying...

So far, it's Gears of War 2 or Braid... Nothing else was really that great this year to me. I'll fudge it, and say Mass Effect, since it did come out on PC this year, and I did buy it... I haven't even played it on PC yet, but it did come out this year, so I'm putting it in the conversation at least. What a great game.

Colm

MGS was epic but too short for goty, still worth buying. Also I'd say a PC port is in the works (just some speculation there)
Burnout Paradise or Fallout 3. I'll have to choose one.
Fallout.

eldiablov

Contributor
I thought gow 2 was far from game of the year. I dont think it had that special something that the first had this time around. I also thought the ending was so disappointing.

I would throw fallout 3 out there in the contenders if im honest.

Colm

Two people saying Braid is pretty interesting. I want to check out the PC version now...

Hardrive

Contributor
I would have said FC2 after playing the first little bit of the game. However, now that I am about 50% through the game, it's incredibly boring. All of the quest are the same (go across the map and kill this guy). Unoriginality at its finest. Plus, the multiplayer is terrible.

I'll have to vote for MGS4 as well. At least that was an interesting story with differing gameplay.

Joey

eldiablov said:
I thought gow 2 was far from game of the year. I dont think it had that special something that the first had this time around. I also thought the ending was so disappointing.

I would throw fallout 3 out there in the contenders if im honest.
That doesn't change the fact that MP and Horde are both fantastic. And you can't say the Campaign wasn't an improvement over the first game, no matter how small.