• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Game Save Exploit!

TeamDNS

sbis1utsp5.jpg

x3e1w09r1n.jpg

PSPJoke found a save game exploit.

Thread->

Deathrow

No doubt about a buffer overflow. But from what game I wonder :p

$jr ra - 0xEEEEEEEE --> 0x41414141 is your proof.

I also find it funny its corresponding in a bunch of 0xDEADBEEF landmines

Cloudy

It's worth pointing out that this isn't actually an exploit. It's a crash, that may be exploitable, but it's not an exploit until it's exploited ;-)

Deathrow

It's worth pointing out that this isn't actually an exploit. It's a crash, that may be exploitable, but it's not an exploit until it's exploited ;-)

PSPJoke was able to overwrite the $ra IIRC at lan.st

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
PSPJoke was able to overwrite the $ra IIRC at lan.st

His point is that even though it's exploitable, it's not an exploit yet, it's just a crash.

An exploit is something that exploits the crash to do something, and since it doesn't yet do that, it's only a crash ;).

However an interesting one it may be..

Crank

Crank it up!
I also find it funny its corresponding in a bunch of 0xDEADBEEF landmines
That's because the kernel resets some registers to 0xDEADBEEF after returning from a syscall, to prevent information from leaking from the kernel.

jeerum

PeeruEnn
His point is that even though it's exploitable, it's not an exploit yet, it's just a crash.

An exploit is something that exploits the crash to do something, and since it doesn't yet do that, it's only a crash ;).

hey smart guy :)
Its buffer overflow, not just a crash!

Deathrow

"It's exploitable" <----Do we honestly need video proof? The facts are presented, the calls are claimed. I guess some people sometimes need visual aid, but that would just cause calamity in the scene. "WHERES ME 6.20CFW!! I WANT IT NOAA"

Posting the ASM instructions and proof of him changing the $ra is good enough for me.

IIRC, the exploit was given to SS, surely by now he has determined its potential.

Cloudy

"It's exploitable" <----Do we honestly need video proof? The facts are presented, the calls are claimed. I guess some people sometimes need visual aid, but that would just cause calamity in the scene. "WHERES ME 6.20CFW!! I WANT IT NOAA"

Posting the ASM instructions and proof of him changing the $ra is good enough for me.

IIRC, the exploit was given to SS, surely by now he has determined its potential.

Noone was saying that it isn't exploitable. And there is no guarantee that it is actually exploitable, even with that information. At least not until the save is reencrypted.

n00b81

so heres the deal.
1. Im pspjoke.
2. Its exploitable and is exploited.
3. Its private, only Important people and a select few others are getting it.
4. If/when sony finds and patches it, it will be released to the public.

kinda like the mercury exploit, this time tho, nobody stole anything.

^ ^ What he said ;) This is exploitable, and it will stay private until Sony patches it ( or something useful like a HEN or eloader is made for it...)

If you are one of the people who have been given details.. keep it to yourself, or at least share with trusted devs only please.. :cool:

n00b81

levone

^ ^ What he said ;) This is exploitable, and it will stay private until Sony patches it ( or something useful like a HEN or eloader is made for it...)

If you are one of the people who have been given details.. keep it to yourself, or at least share with trusted devs only please.. :cool:

n00b81

you know what i didn't think about? now people on IRC will know im pspjoke....

Hellcat

Contributor
That sounds really good :)
Good luck on the whole thing! Now we need a ksploit to go with it :D

you know what i didn't think about? now people on IRC will know im pspjoke....
/me engages in memory purge

Ohai :) Who are you? Have we met before?

;)

Cloudy

Nice one. It is now an exploit, now it has been exploited :p

I wasn't trying to say this was rubbish btw, just pointing out that in its current form, it wasn't an exploit :p

levone

Nice one. It is now an exploit, now it has been exploited :p

I wasn't trying to say this was rubbish btw, just pointing out that in its current form, it wasn't an exploit :p

yea lol over at lan someone said the same thing. :p i get it though.
also even if you didn't believe it was real... with recent noob activity, could anyone blame you?