• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Israel-Palestine War; what do you think?

mohaas05

This war isn't about religion. It's about the fact that the Israelis moved in on the land formerly occupied by the Palestinians. Both groups could be atheists, but the fighting would be the same.

Vee

I care a hell of a lot about this whole Palestine situation. I think its totally Israel's fault.

I'm not going to get into details, because i'll get too wound up. But i dare someone to disagree.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
This war isn't about religion. It's about the fact that the Israelis moved in on the land formerly occupied by the Palestinians. Both groups could be atheists, but the fighting would be the same.

Again, I don't see native Americans fighting us to get their land back. It's religious.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
This land has switched hands alot if you look back through history, you can't just go back to a point and say we had it then, we should have it now.
Yup couldn't say it better myself.
Well this is just the latest development so even if they try to make religion a non-issue it's always been and always will be at the root of the matter.

Slasher

Suck It
Again, I don't see native Americans fighting us to get their land back. It's religious.
...maybe it's because the native americans had spears, whereas the Palestinians have anti-tank rockets.
Native American rights is a huge issue here in Canada, it's being constantly looked at and Native's are constantly demanding more privileges and rights. I don't think it happens nearly as frequently in the US because they're completely shunned if there even is any attempted demands.
-chw42-, I don't feel that's really a good example to be dwelling on to make a point... There's much more to look at

To everyone else: This conflict is greatly influenced by religion no matter how you look at it. Hamas children are taught at a very young age that Jews are bad, they're Zionist's, and they're animals. There's a ridiculous amount of anti-semitism that occurs in Hamas, resulting in an absolute hatred for Israel. Similar is true for other nations that even refuse to accept Israel as a nation itself, Iran being a prime example wanting Israel "wiped off the face of the map".

There's numerous examples of this propagandic anti-semitism, like a widely accepted view in Hamas that the holocaust was a lie and the nazi concentration camps never existed... Another example is frequent pamphlets and leaflets citing hatred for Judaism in general.
Hamas' charter calls for the destruction of the State of Israel and its replacement with a Palestinian Islamic state in the area that is now Israel.

"We will not rest until we destroy the Zionist entity" said Hamas leader Fathi Hammad in Gaza on Friday January 2nd 2009 - quoted by the BBC and numerous media sources. [Zionist's referring to Israel]
^ Just being an example of the relentless hatred of Israel not stopping until 'Israel is destroyed'

Hamas is described by Canada as "a radical Sunni Muslim terrorist organization", much like how the US describes them. Taken from Wikipedia: Hamas is listed as a terrorist organization by Canada, the European Union, Israel, Japan, and the United States, and is banned in Jordan. Australia and the United Kingdom list only the military wing of Hamas, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, as a terrorist organization. The United States and the European Union have both implemented restrictive measures against Hamas on an international level.

Both are guilty of their own pretenses, but I particularly don't think Hamas is clean in this conflict. Anyways when everything is looked at in retrospect, Hamas really doesn't have a chance. Israel essentially has a noose around them; cutting off all supplies from entering or leaving, cutting off nearly all electricity, and there's quite the humanitarian crisis going on in there as a result of this. There's no chlorine to treat water, Hamas's only power plant is nonoperational, all gas stations are out of business, and their economy has obviously shattered into pieces. Israel is tightening this noose, and the Hamas people are certainly feeling it. Not to mention, Israel is militaristically superior in most aspects.

mohaas05

Yes, religion may have been drawn into this, but it is not the reason for the conflict. It is just by chance that the Israelis are Jews and and the Palestinians are Muslim. As such, both sides have been grouped into their religions.

Bump: Yes, religion may have been drawn into this, but it is not the reason for the conflict. It is just by chance that the Israelis are Jews and and the Palestinians are Muslim. As such, both sides have been grouped into their religions.

Bump: Yes, religion may have been drawn into this, but it is not the reason for the conflict. It is just by chance that the Israelis are Jews and and the Palestinians are Muslim. As such, both sides have been grouped into their religions.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
...maybe it's because the native americans had spears, whereas the Palestinians have anti-tank rockets.

Did they have them 60 years ago? I doubt they had advanced weapons 60 years ago when the Israelis took their land, land that has switched hands numerous times because two separate RELIGIONS thought it was holy. Granted, they had guns, but not weapon technology that can kill hundreds, if not thousands with one blow. Even if the Native Americans had weapons that can parlay ours, I don't think they would fight for their land back. Because they don't have a religious obligation that claims a certain strip of land is ultra holy and therefore, should be theirs for all eternity.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Did they have them 60 years ago? I doubt they had advanced weapons 60 years ago when the Israelis took their land, land that has switched hands numerous times because two separate RELIGIONS thought it was holy. Granted, they had guns, but not weapon technology that can kill hundreds, if not thousands with one blow. Even if the Native Americans had weapons that can parlay ours, I don't think they would fight for their land back. Because they don't have a religious obligation that claims a certain strip of land is ultra holy and therefore, should be theirs for all eternity.

I don't know much about this war so correct me if I'm wrong but if what you said is true and they are fighting over the land because it's holy, then it is about religion isn't it? Yeah, they are fighting over land but maybe they wouldn't be fighting over it if they didn't think it was holy land. Just a thought.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I don't know much about this war so correct me if I'm wrong but if what you said is true and they are fighting over the land because it's holy, then it is about religion isn't it? Yeah, they are fighting over land but they maybe they wouldn't be fighting over it if they didn't think it was holy land. Just a thought.

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam consider it the holy land basically. It's exchanged hands a bunch of times. But recently, only the Jews and Muslims care about it.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
But the issues now are that missiles are being fired day after day into Israel, and all it wants to do is stop it, it doesn't even want the land anymore...

Go onto msnbc's website, I don't know exactly where, but I was watching NBC nightly news just now and they showed a reporter with his cameraman in Israel in a family's house and it showed them having to run into their basement/bomb-shelter numerous times because of rocket sirens. Would you want to live in constant fear of death? It's not exactly fun, is it?

-chw42-

Like a Boss
But the issues now are that missiles are being fired day after day into Israel, and all it wants to do is stop it, it doesn't even want the land anymore...

Go onto msnbc's website, I don't know exactly where, but I was watching NBC nightly news just now and they showed a reporter with his cameraman in Israel in a family's house and it showed them having to run into their basement/bomb-shelter numerous times because of rocket sirens. Would you want to live in constant fear of death? It's not exactly fun, is it?

Yes they do. Nobody wants to get kicked out.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Would you want to live in constant fear of death? It's not exactly fun, is it?

Which is why I support the War in Iraq 100%. If we pulled out pre-maturely I fear that we would have to deal with that exact thing. Maybe just a little less frightening but still.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Right now, the only thing they care about, is keeping their people safe.

Well obviously and I understand why. I'm on Israel's side here, but the whole conflict here is that they won't leave Israel. If the Israelis told Hamas right now that they'll leave if Hamas stopped launching missiles at them, Hamas would gladly stop. The thing is, why in the world would any Israeli leave their land? Hamas' goal is to get rid of all Jews from Israel (not exactly kill them) so that they can have their holy land back. If the Israelis were to leave Israel and give the land back, there wouldn't be this problem at all. But once again, that isn't happening. I'm pretty sure Israel is going to win. After all, they're the ones getting support from the United States.

spike021

Well obviously and I understand why. I'm on Israel's side here, but the whole conflict here is that they won't leave Israel. If the Israelis told Hamas right now that they'll leave if Hamas stopped launching missiles at them, Hamas would gladly stop. The thing is, why in the world would any Israeli leave their land? Hamas' goal is to get rid of all Jews from Israel (not exactly kill them) so that they can have their holy land back. If the Israelis were to leave Israel and give the land back, there wouldn't be this problem at all. But once again, that isn't happening. I'm pretty sure Israel is going to win. After all, they're the ones getting support from the United States.

Please read this quote again by Slasher. It details what Hamas has said about the Jews before. How can you wipe them out without killing? It's not exactly possible. Hamas wouldn't stop launching those rockets, they came in yesterday, and Hamas said that its just gonna get worse. If they hadn't come in, it would have just continued.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Please read this quote again by Slasher. It details what Hamas has said about the Jews before. How can you wipe them out without killing? It's not exactly possible. Hamas wouldn't stop launching those rockets, they came in yesterday, and Hamas said that its just gonna get worse. If they hadn't come in, it would have just continued.

If all the Jews packed up and left, I really don't think they'll go on with slaughtering them all. They are terrorists, but who in the world would waste all that time and energy. After all, Hitler's not the leader of Hamas. I'm just trying to look at both sides of the spectrum here.

spike021

If all the Jews packed up and left, I really don't think they'll go on with slaughtering them all. They are terrorists, but who in the world would waste all that time and energy. After all, Hitler's not the leader of Hamas. I'm just trying to look at both sides of the spectrum here.

What?! So now your saying that it would be better for the Jews to just get up and leave? That's one of the worst things I've ever heard. They aren't even causing destruction, it's all Hamas, whether or not you think of it being related to religion. Hamas kills their own people just because they have a hint of possibly being traitorous.

BTW: I have two friends, both brothers, in the army and have been called up. They're reservists. One, last week, the other last night.