• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
No, it REALLY doesn't.
All it confirms is that it IS a 5, with clocks 4-1 counting down to E3. Microsoft isn't the only group at E3. We could be seeing MGS4Subsistencey for PC, MGS4+Oxide for 360 and PC, Snatcher, Zone of the Enders or some new IP.

And trust me, I'm 99% sure this announcement is about a PC release.
KojiPro spent a lot of time developing an engine for the PS3. Porting it to the 360 would mean scaling down. It'd mean multiple discs and possibly hardrive installs.
But, on the PC... things are different. Very different. The same limits don't exist. Take a look at the Source engine, constantly upgraded and reused, highly optimised... Having a powerful PC engine would be a massive benefit to Konami. We could be seeing something massive.

Remember: Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 went to PC. MGS4 is not a contract exclusive. It's all to do with the power of the platform. And the PS3 and PC are almost equals.

Well, many PS3 titles require HDD installs nowadays while the Xbox 360 counterpart does not. For some reason developers have been reluctant to reveal why these installs are mandatory: I still don't think there is a concrete answer out there. So if MGS4 made it to 360, I'm willing to bet it would not require an HDD.

MGS4 didn't fill up a full Blu-ray from what I heard and a lot of space was sort of wasted on uncompressed audio. Things like that could be sacrificed for the 360 version and no one would notice a difference.

I still think the announcement is Microsoft centric if it's happening on June 1. They are the only company holding a press conference that day. Sony's presser isn't until the next day. I really don't see Konami bothering with PC so that's why I said Xbox 360 but we'll see.

Vee

Well, many PS3 titles require HDD installs nowadays while the Xbox 360 counterpart does not. For some reason developers have been reluctant to reveal why these installs are mandatory: I still don't think there is a concrete answer out there.

Its to do with the read speed of the PS3's blu-ray drive. It isnt fast enough to cope with starting the game, so they copy important data to the HDD, which can hit alot faster speeds. DVD hasn't got this problem as it has faster read speeds.
So if MGS4 made it to 360, I'm willing to bet it would not require an HDD.

Not sure actually, it would have to use several disks, but those disks would probably be capable of being read fast enough.

MGS4 didn't fill up a full Blu-ray from what I heard and a lot of space was sort of wasted on uncompressed audio. Things like that could be sacrificed for the 360 version and no one would notice a difference.

Woah woah woah, hold up a secound. MGS4 did full up two layers of a blu-ray disk and that was with a ton of things scrapped to avoid two disks.

You'd obviously have to scrap the uncompressed audio but you'd also have to then scrap the cutscenes. No way could the whole game including cutscenes and music fit on even two disks.

Adiuvo

Cutscenes are all rendered in real time using a script. None of them are pre-rendered, so none would have to be cut.

Uncompressed audio for sure would have to go, and it most likely would spawn multiple disks, due to the amount and complexity of the character models/textures.

I still think the announcement is Microsoft centric if it's happening on June 1. They are the only company holding a press conference that day. Sony's presser isn't until the next day. I really don't see Konami bothering with PC so that's why I said Xbox 360 but we'll see.

Well, It could be a PC release, seeing as PC games are for Windows...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Its to do with the read speed of the PS3's blu-ray drive. It isnt fast enough to cope with starting the game, so they copy important data to the HDD, which can hit alot faster speeds. DVD hasn't got this problem as it has faster read speeds.

You'd assume so, but how is it that certain developers like Infinity Ward are able to pull off a game with very minimal load times on Blu-ray while others have to resort to enforcing mandatory installations. I think it is more down to these developers not wanting to put the effort into optimizing their title for Blu-ray.

Woah woah woah, hold up a secound. MGS4 did full up two layers of a blu-ray disk and that was with a ton of things scrapped to avoid two disks.

You'd obviously have to scrap the uncompressed audio but you'd also have to then scrap the cutscenes. No way could the whole game including cutscenes and music fit on even two disks.

Not according to this.. N4G.com : MGS4 only 33GB? MGO allows 1 character free...more for a fee?

I cannot verify the information but anyone who has a Blu ray drive on their PC could. I have no reason to doubt it though.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
We're down to under nine hours now on the countdown. Any last minute guesses we haven't covered yet?

Colm

If it's 9 hours on countdown 5, I wouldn't worry. The site's just going to change a bit and move down to stage 4. Stage 1 ends on E3 Day 1, so there might be:
a) something cool at Konami's booth at E3 (unlikely)
b) MGS for 360 at the MS conference (50/50 chance, and maybe a bit unlikely to be MGS4 if it is. Also, KojiPro has denied MGS4 for the 360 so many times..)
c) MGS for PC (again, this one goes 50/50. MGS2 Substance and MGS Integral have gone to PC, but Konami has had very few PC releases, only 4 last year. Remember: Microsoft is a member of the PCGA, and run a failing Windows gaming service. I'm no expert on game development, but... wouldn't a PC port of MGS be easier to code than a 360 port? And wouldn't Microsoft be far more interested in restoring the PC with something MASSIVE?) (I think most likely of the lot, but others don't.)
d) GameFork is right, and MGS4 does come to 360, but with nothing new in the base package. However, they get Day 1 exclusive DLC (impossible)
e) Kojima reveals a new IP, going multiplatform (possible, but not very likely)

Slasher

Suck It
Am I the only one that doesn't understand why they would have 4 consecutive countdown timers?

They can't just have a countdown which then loops right back into another countdown once it's done. They've gotta tell us something at the end of the countdown if indeed this is what's going to happen.

Who knows maybe there won't be anymore countdowns and the other countdowns were just a staged means to throw us off.

...3 hours to go :eek:

Slasher

Suck It
Well... the countdown is now over... and... nothing! The website doesn't even work.

EDIT: Looks like the website is at least back online now. But it's just a blank grey screen.

EDIT2: Wow, so it is yet ANOTHER countdown timer. This is just stupid. Seriously, what the fuck.
Now whenever the lightning flashes it alternates between a 5/S, an E (or backwards 3), a 3, and a backwards 9?

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I only just remembered! O_O

The site is only barely loading for me, have to keep refreshing it :-\

EDIT: Looks like they've changed the scenery a little :eek: . Interesting, my early theory seems even more justified now. The horizon has a brownish haze/tint if you look very closely.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
An amazing countdown just to say that MGS5 will be at E3...fail...

Hope there'll be a 360 version :D

Colm

Would want, especially on PC. Likely to be a PS3 exclusive if it is that.. If it was a quadrilogy remake, I'd be in awe.