• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Metal/Hardcore Discussion Thread!

Dan

Contributor
I'm not too bothered about August Burns Red anymore. Since I've discovered really progressive, smart metal, metalcore has gone right out the window for me :/

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
There is a new album coming out from August Burns Red in June called Leveler. I'm personally stoked.

p.s. I really wish more people said Jesse. Alive or Just Breathing is easily the best record of the catalog. Though Howard does do some of the songs better.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah I've never been a huge fan of ABR, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get chills everytime I hear white washed or Composure, those are seriously two of my all time favorite songs! I'm definitely going to be checking out their new album.

Speaking of August Burns Red, they recently announced a new album called "Leveler!"

Check out my metalcore cover of Faint by Linkin Park lol, I've been listening to LP a lot recently and harsh nostalgia'ing, they were the band that got me into "heavy" music (although I hardly consider them that heavy anymore, and it amuses me to think of myself in grade 8 being like OMG SO BR00TAL!!)

http://soundcloud.com/galactic-pegasus/faint-linkin-park-instrumental

What were some bands that got you guys into "heavy" music?

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
I cant remember how to multi quote so i'll just say this and you can guess who it's aimed at.

- Saw whitechapel last night, shit was weak. Phil's vocals have done downhill live.
- BTBAM played with JFAC when they last played the UK so it's not that mad, however, BTBAM are amazing live and JFAC are utter shite. I've seen roadies with more stage presence.
- If you get the chance to see BOO then do it, they're too tight live.

Got AAA for The Faceless gig about 10 minutes ago so i'm pretty stoked for that. Ghostfest soon too, a Leeds based metal festival. Check the line up it's pretty good!

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Really, Whitecheapel sucked? That's a shame, I saw them on Warped Tour this past summer and I thought they were pretty awesome, but then again I was basically pressed against the right side of the stage so I got mostly an ear full of guitar so I could be wrong I guess haha.

I've seen BTBAM before, but they only played 3 songs (so like half an hour lol) and they were tight as fuck live so I can't wait to see them again. I didn't expect much from JFAC anyways and I'm not a huge fan of them so that doesn't bother me that much

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
I too saw Whitechapel during Warped Tour. My friends love them though I think they suck. I have issues with harsh vocalists not enunciating. Even worse when they go too fast.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah I like them a lot for some reason, the only thing I hated about them live was their fans, fucking scene kids hardcore dancing and shit, that was no fun... but then again the whole warped tour is like that lol so what did I expect :p

I caught their guitarist's pick so that was pretty awesome too

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
It's not like I don't like Whitechapel either, they're a superb band but they're growing (in terms of fan base) and I don't think they know how to handle it. Every time there wasn't a vocal part he was doing some weird shit down the mic and overplayed his performance for how good it actually was. When I saw BTBAM they only played Swim to the Moon but they were only on first support for a gig with 4 bands ( ridiculous I know)

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Haha wow, that's still like 18 minutes but yeah that is quite ridiculous. I can't wait for this because they are headlining and I've heard that they will be playing the entirety of the Parallax, which is awesome!

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Yeahh, it is an amazing creation. I keep listening to it, but I still don't think it's weird enough for me :p

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Hahaha, what the chicken and farm animal banjo break wasn't weird enough?

OMG even more stoked for this concert now:
BTBAM Setlist:
Specular Reflection
Augment of Rebirth
Lunar Wilderness
Sun of Nothing
Ants of the Sky
Fossil Genera
Selkies: The Endless Obsession

Dan

Contributor
Selkies <3

Also, Icarus EP came out in Australia, so it'll be out on the web somewhere. Buying it when it hits UK itunes, preorder shipping was ridiculously priced.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah I grabbed the EP two days ago when it leaked :p It's pretty cool I guess, not a huge fan of the remixes, but I'm happy to have the new vers. of Jetpacks and Frak The Gods

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
I hate their vocalist, and quite frankly the fans tend to be those people that are overly obsessed with labeling music with a genre and then over hype the band to the point I can't listen to them anymore.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah his screaming is kind of "weak" sounding, although on the new version of Icarus Lives! They do sound better. I don't mind his singing, but he is not my favorite vocalist. I only like a few Periphery songs, but Misha (their guitarist) is an idol of mine

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
Since I'm the only Jesse Leach-era fanboy for Killswitch Engage. I'd like to think people here may like this side-project with Adam D. of KSE and Jesse:
[video=youtube;VW6GtKeRo00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW6GtKeRo00[/video]

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Yeah no denying Misha is one hell of a talented guy, not only playing but his production and tones are so insane sounding.
I've started listening to Within the Ruins debut again, before they ruined it by replacing the vocalist with some jacked up hardcore idiot and to be honest their 2nd album may have sounded cleaner and slightly more technical but in reality it's the same scales with the same idea behind them, so the 1st album will do for me.

[video=youtube;tH8YxneIYTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH8YxneIYTQ[/video]

Also, I've recently voiced my opinion about how overated Parkway Drive actually are, fair enough some of their old songs are deathcore anthems but their new album is the same stuff all over again and it gets super boring to listen to. They're trying to keep a genre going that should have died many years ago with the whole 2 fret skip tapping that every "decent" 2 step/deathcore band from 2005-2007 used. I mean, this is only my opinion, but what does everyone else think about them as a band?

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
Am I the only one here who thinks deathcore is being overdone? I honestly can't stand much deathcore really. Suicide Silence and a handful of Job for a Cowboy's first record and I'm all deathcore'd out.

EDIT: One last thought, I'm glad Parkway Drive has more or less grown out of deathcore. So has Bring Me the Horizon. I like it when metal bands attempt a level of melody that isn't expected out of them.