• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Opinions, compliments, complaints - feedback, call it what you want.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I know how MfM spawned >_<

What I'm saying is that you guys need to find a way to pull in a more rounded group so the forums don't go upside down when the scene starts fading or slowing

Don't worry that's something we've been striving to do, expand from the PSP scene but that's just where our traffic comes from at the moment.

explosions

The harsh reality is that it is a room where a select few members are "allowed" to post and any new people that wish to post there seem to believe it is a place where you can spam random crap without punishment.

I hope you're joking.

explosions

YAHHH! Go out and call my name already :p ;) :D

I want to be able to pick a different color for each letter. Like "A"s will be red, "B"s in white, "C"s in green.... and so forth.... :p

[/bs]

You just gave me an idea. And everyone knows, my ideas usually don't turn out well. (For them, at least.)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
My complaint is that this forum emphasizes too much on the PSP. Every other console section is DEAD, and when the PSP scene dies down a bit, this forum is graveyard-esque.

The forum has only extended PSP sections because our initial forum layout did not meet the growing community and their needs. The forum can always be adjusted to meet the community and its needs. For a while now that has been more PSP sections, however our other sections are adequately covered in the forum layout

explosions

He's pretty spot on.

There is no one not "allowed" to post. Everyone is welcomed. It may not be said every fucking time someone new posts in there, but I think I speak for most of the people in there when I say that anyone that TRIES to not be generally annoying, will find that they are, indeed, welcomed.

eighty4

There is no one not "allowed" to post. Everyone is welcomed. It may not be said every fucking time someone new posts in there, but I think I speak for most of the people in there when I say that anyone that TRIES to not be generally annoying, will find that they are, indeed, welcomed.

It's like high school cliques. If you try to join one clique and are able to at least sit and the table, you're "welcomed" but not a real part of that clique. You're just there.

explosions

It's like high school cliques. If you try to join one clique and are able to at least sit and the table, you're "welcomed" but not a real part of that clique. You're just there.

lol, sounds like you had a depressing high school experience. Everyone is "just there", tbh.

Hellcat

Contributor
The FP needs tweaking!
I was just thinking about it. IMHO people are not really interested in the front page, only the forums.

MfM is currently among the last sites to report about something - if reporting about a certain news at all!
Even QJ has most topics on way before MfM has - and I always considered QJ to be among the rather slower news sites.

One of the problems resulting in some feeds coming way to late is the overdoing of prove reading.
Someone writes something, prove reads it, lets someone else prove read it, applies coorections, another prove reading session, more tiny corrections, again provereading by several people.... enventually it gets posted just for someone AGAIN finding something to fix/tweak/correct....
C'mon, quallity, yes, but you can overdo things. Your readers really don't care for the one or the other mistake, not perfectly formatted image or quote or whatever, just post the damn stuff, ppl care for the CONTENT not the tiniest of all mistakes.

Honestly, that is (among simple lack of time) one reason I stopped writing articles for the FP, as with every one you write up, you just KNOW that this certain someone will come and call for corrections.... so tiny noone else would have noticed....

Well, yah, long story short: make the FP more attractive for the audience....

eighty4

lol, sounds like you had a depressing high school experience. Everyone is "just there", tbh.

How are people "just there"? Certain people write, no one responds or says anything. Other people say something 3 pages back, and these other people respond to that.

explosions

How are people "just there"? Certain people write, no one responds or says anything. Other people say something 3 pages back, and these other people respond to that.

They're "just there" and they respond to stuff when they feel like it. Anything "written" is usually to start conversation or renew activity.

Dan

Contributor
NEEDS MORE JIGGAWATTS

I like the way things are really. Apart from the PSP, that is. If the PSP forum around here is still going strong, it's going to attract more and more members. Then, I reckon we'll just be in a spiral of decline, over run with PSP threads, by which I mean people requiring help.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The FP needs tweaking!
I was just thinking about it. IMHO people are not really interested in the front page, only the forums.

MfM is currently among the last sites to report about something - if reporting about a certain news at all!
Even QJ has most topics on way before MfM has - and I always considered QJ to be among the rather slower news sites.

One of the problems resulting in some feeds coming way to late is the overdoing of prove reading.
Someone writes something, prove reads it, lets someone else prove read it, applies coorections, another prove reading session, more tiny corrections, again provereading by several people.... enventually it gets posted just for someone AGAIN finding something to fix/tweak/correct....
C'mon, quallity, yes, but you can overdo things. Your readers really don't care for the one or the other mistake, not perfectly formatted image or quote or whatever, just post the damn stuff, ppl care for the CONTENT not the tiniest of all mistakes.

Honestly, that is (among simple lack of time) one reason I stopped writing articles for the FP, as with every one you write up, you just KNOW that this certain someone will come and call for corrections.... so tiny noone else would have noticed....

Well, yah, long story short: make the FP more attractive for the audience....

That's something we have recognized. We are trying to step up the effort but since we aren't getting paid for it the incentive is just not there. There's a reason though that you don't see us covering "everything", we are selective in what we cover. I am tired of news sites raking up articles that I don't care about, that's something we aimed to eliminate when creating MFM and which is why we asked our community what they wanted us to report on (sadly only a few responded to our inquiry).

The only time you will see me post on the frontpage is when I find an article or a news story that genuinely interests me and I feel that it will interest others. I'm not going to be posting screenshots of some no-name PSP game nor talk about what Analysts think about the rumored PS3 Slim (at the time) when we ourselves have confirmed to the community the existence of it. We will not report on Petz! for "Tweens" coming out or even being announced unless we feel that it has some profound and interesting affect on game development or marketing or even the game audience.

So what I want you to get out of this is simple: Tell us what you want us to cover and we'll do our best to suite your tastes. Do you want us to remind you of upcoming DLC or when the DLC hits? Do you want us to announce every single press release or just pick out the important ones to read?

QJ, in my time that I worked with them, tried reporting on almost anything they could. As far as proof-reading goes, we only do that with our new writers to make sure their quality is up to snuff and that we even want them writing with us. x3sphere, myself or Abe don't even have others proof-read the articles. Usually if there is a mistake the community will let us know and we will be happy to fix it.

I will agree with you though, proof-reading the articles like we were doing with everyone was a bit excessive. I was tired of reading every article and editing the heck out of it. However editorials should still be heavily monitored because they are much longer articles and should not bore the reader to sleep ;)

That's a long blurb....

EDIT: What does everyone think of the frontpage layout currently? That's something that has personally been getting at me for the past few months. There's just something about it that makes me not set it as my homepage but rather the forums...I want a frontpage that I can call my home and we are open to all suggestions

Hellcat

Contributor
over run with PSP threads, by which I mean people requiring help.
I don't see a problem with people asking for help, I'll galdly answer any question I can answer - and if it is pointing them to the last 100 threads where the problem has been answered already *lol*

But if they have not already covered issues, let the come :)

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM EST ----------

@Frozepaq:
Yes, I agree in "not reporting about every corn of sand hitting a desert", too much is.... well, too much ;)

But sometimes I found the one or the other thing missing and never covered by MfM - for the future I'll try to note down and mention those things.
On the other hand, I don't need a constant sum up of what's new in the PSN store - I can see that by just visiting it.

I understand it's hard to decide what's important/intersting enough to be posted - getting only few feedback by the community on what's wanted doesn't make it easier as well, yes....

As for improvements:
Screw the tags as they are used at the moment, the way the tags are used, I can also do a full-text search of all articles to find what I am looking for - same goes for the auto-tagger of the forum, BTW -> completely useless in it's current state.

Have a way to "filter" the articles like Exophase, MaxConsole or even our forum does (with the prefixes).
If I want PSP infos - I click the "PSP" filer, same goes for everything else reported on.

I'll see if I can think of more :)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't see a problem with people asking for help, I'll galdly answer any question I can answer - and if it is pointing them to the last 100 threads where the problem has been answered already *lol*

But if they have not already covered issues, let the come :)

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM EST ----------

@Frozepaq:
Yes, I agree in "not reporting about every corn of sand hitting a desert", too much is.... well, too much ;)

But sometimes I found the one or the other thing missing and never covered by MfM - for the future I'll try to note down and mention those things.
On the other hand, I don't need a constant sum up of what's new in the PSN store - I can see that by just visiting it.

I understand it's hard to decide what's important/intersting enough to be posted - getting only few feedback by the community on what's wanted doesn't make it easier as well, yes....

As for improvements:
Screw the tags as they are used at the moment, the way the tags are used, I can also do a full-text search of all articles to find what I am looking for - same goes for the auto-tagger of the forum, BTW -> completely useless in it's current state.

Have a way to "filter" the articles like Exophase, MaxConsole or even our forum does (with the prefixes).
If I want PSP infos - I click the "PSP" filer, same goes for everything else reported on.

I'll see if I can think of more :)

As far as the filters go for the articles, we already have that. Look right below the banner on our menu bar and you can go to gaming and then select Playstation Portable and it should filter it to show all PSP articles only

Hellcat

Contributor
*lol* see, how long I haven't looked at it ;) gonna try right now :)

(my bookmark for MfM goes straigth to the "new posts" search on the forums....)

Quite frankly, the forums are great. Well organised, and a great community, and with tonnes of functionality to boot. All MfM lacks right now is some more content on the FrontPage, for it to be excellent. Great work so far guys, really.