• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Other OS supported in PS3 Slim Geohot

Hellcat

Contributor
I get that, but from what I've read in this thread my understanding is, geohot can mix and match the official firmware modules because they're already signed by Sony, but he can't add any custom modules(so no homebrew goodness).

So, any CFW that would need to be installed this way(the official way), would not contain anything other than what Sony has already officially released. Then, the only other feature that could be added this way is maybe PS2 software emulation(which would be great), as it was present in early firmware versions, right?
This is where I'm confused as well. Changing the firmware package in any way would void the encryption, even if it is done with Sony modules.
Thing is, there's multiple encryptions / singatures involved in this.

Every package and file contained in the .PUP is individuallly encrypted and sogned.
THEN the whole .PUP made of all these files is signed as well.

The signature of the .PUP can be forged, but NOT the one of the files IN it.
Hence the "only SCE stuff can be mixed together into a 'custom' .PUP".

PS2 emulation was never removed, so how should it be added back?
Even in 3.21 the PS3 plays PS2 titles if it has the required HW.
The PS2 emulation in the PS3 FW is - despite some ppl claiming falsely the oposite - NOT 100% SW emulation, it still requires the Graphics Syntesizer to be present in hardware - no GS, no PS2 emu.
Maybe at some point in the future they will manage, but not at this moment.

If the PS3 had a full SW PS2 emu, SCE would already have PS2 titles on the PSN store.

Thing is, there's multiple encryptions / singatures involved in this.

Every package and file contained in the .PUP is individuallly encrypted and sogned.
THEN the whole .PUP made of all these files is signed as well.

The signature of the .PUP can be forged, but NOT the one of the files IN it.
Hence the "only SCE stuff can be mixed together into a 'custom' .PUP".

PS2 emulation was never removed, so how should it be added back?
Even in 3.21 the PS3 plays PS2 titles if it has the required HW.
The PS2 emulation in the PS3 FW is - despite some ppl claiming falsely the oposite - NOT 100% SW emulation, it still requires the Graphics Syntesizer to be present in hardware - no GS, no PS2 emu.
Maybe at some point in the future they will manage, but not at this moment.

If the PS3 had a full SW PS2 emu, SCE would already have PS2 titles on the PSN store.

Now I understand. Never realised you the PUP's package signature could be forged so easy.

Spiros

Maiki
Now I understand. Never realised you the PUP's package signature could be forged so easy.

Yeah, me neither. I'm assuming Sony could fix that rather easily though, It would have to be in the next firmware update right, but after that I doubt we'd be able to update this way. Unless it is just that easy to get the encryption key.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I have it for 360. Been maining T. Hawk out of the new guys. The online is much better than the previous game.

Spiros

Maiki
Not going to update, but it's not really a problem for me as I'm away from my ps3 till the end of august. Seeing as my 360 is not homebrew capable, I'll wait for aslong as it takes for this ps3 hack.

Brad

Yoshimi
Not much of a problem for me. Only been using my PS3 for media as of late..

Hopefully Geodude can work some magic.

Hellcat

Contributor
Hopefully Geodude can work some magic.
Well, I had the "joy" of experiencing his recent iPhone work.... and if his PS3 skills are only as HALF as bad as his iPhone skills, this "CFW" will never ever see the light of day....

He might be good in finding exploits, but he.... well "is not in putting them into use", to phrase it kindly....

explosions

Well, I had the "joy" of experiencing his recent iPhone work.... and if his PS3 skills are only as HALF as bad as his iPhone skills, this "CFW" will never ever see the light of day....

He might be good in finding exploits, but he.... well "is not in putting them into use", to phrase it kindly....

He said that he would never be a software engineer.

Hellcat

Contributor
He said that he would never be a software engineer.
So true....

And for those asking what this might have to do with the topic:

Don't hold your breath!
Esp. since a 3.21 GeoFW would be useless since 3.30 is mandatory now, and Sony changed a few things in 3.30 killing of GeoDudes CFW plans.
And 3.40 is already in the pipe....

So, the only way of keeping OtherOS is really in loosing PSN-OS by not updating.

LocutusEstBorg

How could anyone not foresee that the CFW was not going to work out... Unless they've secretly come up with a much bigger hack than just this that renders the firmware update cat & mouse game obsolete.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
How could anyone not foresee that the CFW was not going to work out... Unless they've secretly come up with a much bigger hack than just this that renders the firmware update cat & mouse game obsolete.

because people fail to realize that people DO learn from their mistakes..and the PSP was sony's mistake, so they applied what they learned to the ps3.

Quite honestly the PS3 is a good console that doesn't really need homebrew to be made better.