• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Case size, please help!!!

Sullivan

Hey guys, I am finally FINALIZING the sale of my psp tomorrow, which means I will have 600$ or just under to build a new pc. Thanks to Vanden, I was able to get a good set-up with good specs.

Only problem is, I am not worried about a case, and I am not sure whether a FULL SIZE or MID SIZE case is neeeded.

Here are the specs and hardware:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

For what I am about to say, PLEASE don't give me crap for it, the CPU comes with a heatsink, I am not sure whether or not I should buy a nice one, and I want to at least OC this to at least 3.0Ghz with some help. So please guide me along with what type of cooling should be used.
I will have a little left over, maybe just over 100$??? So i need a good sleek case, the one I really liked, is out of stock,

Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports and Ultra 500-Watt Power Supply ULT31928 at TigerDirect.com

They had it for 90$ but, not any more. I need to know one if I can use a mid-tower or if I need a FULL SIZE. And if you guys can point me in the right direction for a nice case, it DOES NOT have to have a PSU as I already have a new one. I like a nice sleek one with side view panel, like these:

Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports and Ultra 500-Watt Power Supply ULT31928 at TigerDirect.com
Ultra Products - Gladiator Black ATX Case with Clear Side

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
1. you may need to invest in a cooler for the cpu, but idk, i don't know how well that one overclocks.
2. You don't need to have a full tower case, but it is a lot less cramped. If you do go mid tower, you might want to find one with a removable motherboard tray.

Slasher

Suck It
I don't even understand why you would want to overclock that. It's already extremely good, and didn't you say you weren't going to game on it? And just to clarify, I'm not "giving you crap on it", it just doesn't make much sense why you would want to overlock it to 3.0ghz, besides showing off :confused:

ilyace

Mid tower will be fine for you, it's not like your going to be mounting triple 120mm rads in the case or anything...Imo go for the Antec P182, you can find it on newegg for about $160 right now. Also since this isn't a gaming (right?) comp and you want to overclock, you want to go with an intel chipset. Preferably the P45 chipset. I know Gigabyte has some good motherboards using that chipset.

Edit: Also, you say you want to overclock? 1. You'll need a good cpu cooler, especially for a quad 2. Don't go cheap with the psu, I recommend Corsair or PC Power & Cooling 3. READ ALOT

EDIT: SCREW the P182, the antec 900 2 is on newegg...buy now! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

Sullivan

Your refering for me to get that Ultra right? I am just a tiny bit sceptical about that Ultra, reviews say the LED screen goes out or doesn't work period, but it comes with fans, so I don't have to buy anything more.

Frenchy, can you give me some inside on what I should buy for cooling when overclocking?

Seth

MD Party Room

ilyace

Your refering for me to get that Ultra right? I am just a tiny bit sceptical about that Ultra, reviews say the LED screen goes out or doesn't work period, but it comes with fans, so I don't have to buy anything more.

Frenchy, can you give me some inside on what I should buy for cooling when overclocking?

Nonononono...I meant get the second Antec 900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

I have the original 900, and it's great, so this one can only be better. As for cooling I can recommend either this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001, or the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. And vanden's right, the Q6600 is better for overclocking.

Sullivan

I don't think I will have enough for both that case, and the cooler.

Will I have issues installing or using 32bit os's on the Q6600?

edit: anyone have a newegg promo code?

Seth

MD Party Room
Nope q6600 works great on 32bit..

But keep in mind you cant use 4gb of ram on a 32bit os...

Sullivan

Ohh, ya. I know, Will it be lke 3.X Gb's or much less?

Ok, heres the list of everything I will be buying:
I plan on buying that cpu heat sink fan at a later time and use the stock one for a while.
But I may just, have enough, but shipping crazy 40$ to ship all this:

88966657eg3.png

Chathurga

Is the Core 2 Quad Q8200 better than the Q6600?

Edit: Wow sorry completely didn't read the whole thread looks like you went over this... sorry :p

Sullivan

lol, ya. It seems much better in the end, and only 1 dollar more, and stock it comes 2.4Ghz compared to the Q8200 with 2.33Ghz, lol. Not much but still. I read around and found some people saying that the Q8200 is hard to get above 3.1Ghz, and the Q6600 can easily be ran above 3.6Ghz safely, and even saw one guy has it running at 5Ghz with liquid cooling.

Seth

MD Party Room
Is the Core 2 Quad Q8200 better than the Q6600?

Edit: Wow sorry completely didn't read the whole thread looks like you went over this... sorry :p

The q8200 is better stock Cpu then the q6600...But it no match when your doing over clocking..The q6600 wins hands down..

Tho I still like the q8200 seeing as it 45 and not the old outdated 65...

Sullivan

Hmm, well I am really happy now, I will save 30$ because I found a discount coupon code for the Antec 900. It expires the 19th tho.

Seth

MD Party Room
BTW your gfx card comes with a DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter...

Sullivan

Wait, it does? *Goes to Check*

EDIT: Thanks for that man! I almost ordered two just incase i was going to buy a monitor from my friend, but thanks! Saved me a little. Shipping costs me 40$, but with the 30$ I save on the case it makes it seem like its only 10$, lol, no biggy now.

ilyace

Dude, I seriously wouldn't get that cooler. I don't have any personal experience with it, but you don't see it on reviews, which tells you something. Just wait a little, learn about overclocking topics, etc and then buy a good cpu cooler. And you won't be disapointed with the Antec 900, it's easily one of the best mid towers out there.