• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Case size, please help!!!

Sullivan

Hmm, well this fan seriously looks bad ass, and has better specs then that one you suggested, but I don't know that much, so you may have linked to a better one.

35-106-123-11.jpg

What about this one, it got great reviews, and is NewEgg.com's #1:

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

ilyace

I don't know about the artic cooling cooler, but I'm pretty sure it's good...Why can't you get the Tuniq Tower 120? It is honestly one of the greatest cpu coolers ever, especially for quads. I know someone with an Antec 900, the Tuniq Tower 120, and a Q6700 and he gets idle temps of about 30C...ON A QUAD lol. Imagine the temps you would get at overclocked speeds. Just make sure you get some good thermal paste, right now the best is probably OCZ Freeze Extreme: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202006 and the cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

Sullivan

Thanks, I think my dad might have some of the paste, but I don't know where to find it in all of his left over pc parts. Is that enough for only one use? Not sure, sorry, this is truely my first build on my own, but I know what I am doing, I have always helped my dad when building my last few.

I just found out that the Thermaltake SpinQ doesn't do so well with over clocking, so I don't want to spend 60$ on it if its not going to do much... I might just get the Tuniq, unless you can find some other one that looks pretty bad ass.

ilyace

Don't worry, you need like a drop the size of a grain of rice of thermal paste for a cpu.

And that's pretty much one of the top of the line cpu coolers, especially for quads. There is also the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (not on newegg anymore) but you need to buy a fan, it's also one of the best coolers out there. And btw both of these fit in the Antec 900 but you can't use the side panel fan, there isn't enough room.

Sullivan

Ya I just read that, I wasn't planning on it anyways, its got 4 HUGE fans already.

Look at this:

18.jpg

It looks like its about to fry the back of that GPU, and the guy said he has like 1/4th inch to the plexi.
Oh well, it has great reviews besides the con of being huge.

Sullivan

Yes, Thanks so much for all the help so far! Really.

There is another Tuniq here:

Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm LED Cooling Fan and Fan ControllerHeatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

It is basically a LED version, which would match the case, although the spec's say it supports a 775 Socket, but it doesn't list QuadQore support. Would it work, or should I be fine replacing the other ones fan with this:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan - Case Fans

Right now I am looking at around 610$ for it all, including shipping.

EDIT: Wait, with the promo code for the case it is coming out to: $600.94 exact with shipping.

Just gota seal the deal on the PSP tomorrow, and the parts are coming on monday!

ilyace

Socket 775 means all cpus with socket 775 compatibility, so if it doesn't list it, it's just that newegg didn't write quad core.

What motherboard are you getting?

Sullivan

Well can you help me find/get a Intel Chipset that is compatible and is around $134.99?

Sullivan

Oh, ok thanks *goes to check it out*

Is it purely better then that one I had chosen?

ilyace

Imho, yes. You're not building an extreme gaming computer, so sli and other features that nvidia offers shouldn't really benefit you in any way. Also, nvidia chipsets cause many problems with Vista and the fsb speeds are pretty limited on some of there high end boards. Not bashing nvidia chipsets, but for your needs and Intel chipset should suit you better.

ilyace

This should not be a problem. DDR2 1333 is the fastest it goes, it's backwards compatible with DDR2 1066/800, etc... But now that I see it your ram seems pretty slow. At stock speeds it has pretty high latencies (the lower the better). Of course you can overclock the ram, but the reviews seem to say that they don't oc well.

Sullivan

lol, to the ram now? I seriously need help. I don't plan on oc much more then the CPU.

ilyace

lol, to the ram now? I seriously need help. I don't plan on oc much more then the CPU.

Lol...But you see, to keep a 1:1 ratio with your cpu, your ram will need to be overclocked as well. All ram modules are different in overclocking, just like cpus, so maybe the g.skill ram will do well.

ilyace

Hmm, maybe I can see if I can affored a little more, like 20$+ on the ram.

Here are some new options for my old mobo choice:

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Will I really have problems oc'ing with the other mobo?

All that ram will work on the Gigabyte mobo. And you won't have probs ocing on the other mobo, but it won't give you the results that the P45 chipset can. The Corsair ram you linked is very good. I have 2gbs of that and I can oc it to 950mhz with 4-4-4-12 2T timings and have it at a 1:1 ratio with my cpu (3.8ghz).