• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Prototype

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
Did anyone buy this game yet?

I really want to know how this game is. It looks awesome but I buy games for replayablility and this game looks pretty short.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I picked it up. Keep in mind I like sandbox games so I may be generous by saying this, I think its decent. Its no GOTY, the powers can get a bit complicated, and so far the missions are either really easy or pretty hard/frustrating. It feels like a hack-n-slash with a few cool abilities. Transforming is fun until you realize it doesn't make a difference if you are disguised as a military soldier or civilian. Apparently civilians can just walk into a military base without suspicion. The graphics aren't that great and the controls get a bit complicated when you have a few powers.

The free-roaming is fun, but its too easy to defeat the military and get away(no star level like GTA). If you can live with the cons of this game than you should have a fun time. Otherwise its entertaining for a rent

Maybe because I'm playing inFamous at the same time I'm not having as much fun as I should, but in my opinion inFamous is a much better game

Adiuvo

I'm still deciding between this an inFamous. Anyone have both?

EDIT: Thanks Sousanator. How long is Prototype?

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
yeah this is not really enjoyable so far.

[edit] This game is crap. The graphics suck, there is too much going on at once, the missions simply aren't fun, and The targeting system is just awful.

Scorned

I played it over the weekend, and indeed, the targeting system was pretty bad, a bit too easy for the most part, and basically whatever else everyone said.

Slasher

Suck It
Wow so I guess this game deserves a flush down the poop shute then, eh? I was thinking of getting it, but fuck that

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I played it at a friends house...it can barely be called a glorified Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (I personally prefer Hulk of the two).

I haven't tried inFAMOUS yet but if it can't be beaten by hulk: ultimate destruction then the PS3 deserves to be fired from a canon and into the sun.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've put about 10 hours into this so far and it is pretty much Crackdown with a different skin and a couple small tweaks; they even have orbs and rooftop races to earn experience. It's a straight up sandbox game from the onset and you can go everywhere the second the game starts and just run around and wreck shot all you want. You do have to complete a couple of story missions to unlock certain powers and what not, but if you enjoyed running around the Crackdown city for hours, then you'll enjoy this.

If this game was packaged with a co-op "Rampage" mode where you could have two people running around just destroying stuff, it would be awesome.

Colm

Still, I preferred Crackdown :p

All missions are either "too easy" or "completely impossible".
You find yourself spamming one or two moves like the blade drop and groundspike
It's repetitive
Story is worse than a LOT of games
Crackdown is cheaper

It's fun, but could be better. Something like Abe's 'rampage' suggestion would work wonders

Xander

I've put about 10 hours into this so far and it is pretty much Crackdown with a different skin and a couple small tweaks; they even have orbs and rooftop races to earn experience. It's a straight up sandbox game from the onset and you can go everywhere the second the game starts and just run around and wreck shot all you want. You do have to complete a couple of story missions to unlock certain powers and what not, but if you enjoyed running around the Crackdown city for hours, then you'll enjoy this.

If this game was packaged with a co-op "Rampage" mode where you could have two people running around just destroying stuff, it would be awesome.

Prototype ≠ Crackdown

Just because they're both sandbox games, have collectable orbs, and let you jump incredibly high doesn't make them the same game. Crackdown was a total sandbox game, Prototype is fairly linear (for a "sandbox" game). Crackdown let you level up your skills at whatever rate you wanted, Prototype only lets you unlock certain skills as you progress through the game. Crackdown focused on guns and cars, Prototype focuses on close combat and powers. Prototype has a story, Crackdown...not so much. I'd describle the game more so as a mix of 60% Spiderman 2, 30% Crackdown, and 10% Assassin's Creed.

But Co-op would be awesome.

Still, I preferred Crackdown :p

All missions are either "too easy" or "completely impossible".
You find yourself spamming one or two moves like the blade drop and groundspike
It's repetitive
Story is worse than a LOT of games
Crackdown is cheaper

It's fun, but could be better. Something like Abe's 'rampage' suggestion would work wonders

Whipfist and the Blade Air Slice were I ended up using most of the time. But did you even bother with the Web of Intrigue? It's an interesting story once you figure it all out.

Colm

Blade Air Slice.

Exactly. Take the boss fight against [BLACKOUT]elisabeth greene[/BLACKOUT]. It's just blade air slice blade air slice blade air slice blade air slice blade air slice... Sure, the game gives you loads of cool options like Devastator moves etc, but being creative is a lot harder than it sounds. The later missions are pretty hard, so you find yourself just relying on one or two moves.

And yes, I do try to find the Web targets. Still a very mediocre story, sorta reminds me of a Micheal Bay storyline (just give a guy an excuse to cause fights and explosions)

Robby

Los Doyers!
Finally got around to downloading the game and I must say, I love it.
I've done about 7 missions so far and put about 4 hours into it. I love just running around, killing the infected, consuming innocent people, and just blowing shit up.

Although I am sure I will get bored of it in about a week, I did not mind wasting a blank disc on this game.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Been playing this game like crazy and I am really digging it.

Although there was a mission or two which took me FOREVER to beat, but once I did I got back to enjoying the free roam, killing sprees, etc.

I would say this game is worthy of a rent, don't know if I'll dish out $60 to buy it.