• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 finally hacked. Good or bad?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just throw out your opinion. I'm on the neutral side here but I found somethign I'd like to share from an editor @ Destructoid and I couldn't agree more:

Conrad Zimmerman said:
This is why we can't have nice things. Some people seem think that hackers are hurting the owner of a closed system when they expose these vulnerabilities and open up platforms to unsigned code (or, more accurately, piracy). But for Sony it's just a matter of reallocating resources. They'll apply more money and manpower to engaging in trench warfare with the internet and get it either by charging more for existing services or by spending less on developing new services.

Either way, the person really getting screwed is the honest consumer.

To which someone relpied:

user said:
He's obviously laying the blame on the hackers. He's just saying Sony will put more effort in piracy prevention and less in actually improving its service, which ultimately hurts the honest consumer.

To be honest, I'm not too sure about this point of view. Aren't Sony supposed to be doing internal research on this kind of thing in the first place? If a hacker exposes a hole in the system which Sony can patch, isn't he just doing free work for Sony?

To which he finally replied:

Conrad Zimmerman said:
Not at all. Sony has to do it. But they're going to do it at the cost of providing the best possible service to the consumer.

While I'm a proponent of open systems and in favor of consumers being allowed to do what they wish with the products that they purchase, the simple truth is that it's up to each designer to decide what works best for their system. The people who are at fault here are the ones who have taken it upon themselves to ignore that decision and do what they wish without regard to how it will affect people on a larger scale.

He's got a point. That's exactly what happened to the PSP, they focused so much on stopping piracy they completely forgot the rest.

El Diablo

I think using the PSP as an excuse is a bad example. Before piracy became everywhere on it there were still no super great games that stood out. The PSP ruined the PSP not piracy. There was barely anything on it before piracy, and the same after.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I think using the PSP as an excuse is a bad example. Before piracy became everywhere on it there were still no super great games that stood out. The PSP ruined the PSP not piracy. There was barely anything on it before piracy, and the same after.

I don't really think that's true... The PSP has a great library of AAA games (for handheld standards) and some are still coming out.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
i *hope* piracy on the ps3 isnt as bad as it is in the psp. maybe im just being naive, but if we know it is going to be used for piracy, couldnt the devs figure out a way to circumvent that? since this is brand new, the devs really control which way it goes at the moment, so couldnt they put it some kind of checking system or something? sorry, im just thinking out loud :argh:

like ive said a few times, playing backups is on the bottom of my wishlist. until ps2 emulation is developed, im afraid my console is staying official.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
i *hope* piracy on the ps3 isnt as bad as it is in the psp. maybe im just being naive, but if we know it is going to be used for piracy, couldnt the devs figure out a way to circumvent that? since this is brand new, the devs really control which way it goes at the moment, so couldnt they put it some kind of checking system or something? sorry, im just thinking out loud :argh:

like ive said a few times, playing backups is on the bottom of my wishlist. until ps2 emulation is developed, im afraid my console is staying official.

That was tried with ChickHEN and the backlash from the PSP scene was massive. Rather ridiculous even. Then the people who enabled ISO playback were heralded as heroes. It was utterly stupid.

Personally I think it's a good thing that the PS3 was hacked. If every major emulator is ported to the PS3 then that would be awesome and would definitely be a deciding factor in getting one for me. Especially PS2 emulation since I've a number of PS2 games here that wouldn't be playable on a PS3...stupid removal of backwards compatibility.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
That was tried with ChickHEN and the backlash from the PSP scene was massive. Rather ridiculous even. Then the people who enabled ISO playback were heralded as heroes. It was utterly stupid.
ah ok. i guess there's really nothing that can be done then D:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

You forgot to mention the copy pasted that same code from M33 sources D: xD

rileysnotz

Well if hacking the ps3 opens up the console to interesting possibilities I'm all for it. Piracy unfortunately will be inevitable.No matter how noble and anti-piracy a homebrew developer is there is always someone else who will find a way to circumvent it. Frankly I don't know if I am happy about the hack or not.

I'd love to have custom themes like the PSP, better music player, movie player etc. OtherOS would be awesome not to forget emulators especially PS2 support.

There are a few of my friends who immediately decided to buy ps3's simply because it's almost open to piracy now. These are the same guys who made fun of me because I bought it and pay full price for games.

Like I said the hack is a double edged sword.

Dan

Contributor
Is it possible for the PS2 to be emulated without that component Sony removed?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Is it possible for the PS2 to be emulated without that component Sony removed?

Yup. There is, in fact, a PS2 emulator (software-based) in the PS3 firmware... This was leaked by PS3GEN a few months back

eldiablov

Contributor
I'm totally in favour of being able to download ISO's and run them. I dont think companies are doing enough to address or recognise the root causes of piracy from the perspective of users like you and I.

Adiuvo

So far, mostly bad. Piracy serves no purpose and so far that is the only reason for the end user to have a hacked PS3. The portability argument doesn't even apply to consoles since if you're lugging your PS3 around you have room to bring game disks as well.

The homebrew possibilities are interesting, but I really can't see a scene coming out of this short of a few emulators.

BlackSheep

I just hope theres no hackers that play online i cant even play psp games online because its so bad... Other than that it is good i just hope sony will keep the hackers offline.. I will need a new ps3 D:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
A friend of mine just sold his 360 to buy a PS3 since he can pirate it so... yeah.

Riorio99

If homebrew picks up, then it's a good thing. If piracy takes over, then it's bad. Simple.

eldiablov

Contributor
Who exactly is it bad for other than Sony? The 360 hardly went into self destruct mode when it was exploited, solely to run ISOs I might add.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Who exactly is it bad for other than Sony? The 360 hardly went into self destruct mode when it was exploited, solely to run ISOs I might add.

Very good point...never thought of that. It was exploited way earlier in its lifetime as well than the PS3.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
following on elly point, this gen console piracy isn't as bad as in other gens (or as in the PSP and DS) because games aren't that easy to download, maybe earlier 360 ones, but now it's all over 10gb D:

Adiuvo

Developers, small time ones mainly.

This is obviously conjecture, but I'm guessing that the PS3 'homebrew' community will consist of many of the same people as the PSP is/was. IE: Pirating every chance they can get, a 'punishing' Sony attitude, the sticking it to the man thing, mine mine mine, etc.. The 360 doesn't have that and hacking it required flashing a DVD drive for the longest time, something that requires some motif of skill plus cash. The current PS3 exploit has no such restriction.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Developers, small time ones mainly.

This is obviously conjecture, but I'm guessing that the PS3 'homebrew' community will consist of many of the same people as the PSP is/was. IE: Pirating every chance they can get, a 'punishing' Sony attitude, the sticking it to the man thing, mine mine mine, etc.. The 360 doesn't have that and hacking it required flashing a DVD drive for the longest time, something that requires some motif of skill plus cash. The current PS3 exploit has no such restriction.

The only people this is bad for are minis developer and PSN developers. Sony might even get a boost in sales 'cuz of this o_O