• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 finally hacked. Good or bad?

Adiuvo

That's where the small times one came in ;)

Does the PS3 turn a profit yet on hardware sales?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That's where the small times one came in ;)

Does the PS3 turn a profit yet on hardware sales?

It's been turning profit for about 6 months I think (not sure, I know I read it somewhere xD)

El Diablo

Sony is definitively profiting off of this due to the amount of people going and buying ps3s and or selling their old systems to get one, whether or not they are solely doing it for piracy Sony is making money out of this. The only people it is actually bad for are some developers but I still stand by the, "if I download a game to try, I wasn't going to buy that game anyway so it doesn't actually hurt them" mentality. I will still buy quality games I have an interest in and would buy, and maybe download one or 2 to try. Obviously I don't speak for everyone though who will just go out of their way to download every ps3 game available.

rileysnotz

yeah i remember reading (I think it was the last quarter) that Sony announced they are now turning a profit off PS3 sales.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i find it humorous that when an real exploit is discovered for the "unhackable" system, it's so damn easy. piracy is always bad, bottom line, anyone to argue differently is just trying to justify their reasoning for pirating, it's still stealing, and as adiuvo said, it hurts alot of devs that are just starting out.

i doubt anything homebrew well come out of this, i haven't even seen an sdk mentioned anywhere to even create homebrew, which means anyone that wants to make homebrew has to get their hands on an official sdk.

El Diablo

Someone is already working on porting a dreamcast emulator and pcpsx2 or whatever that ps2 emulator is.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Someone is already working on porting a dreamcast emulator and pcpsx2 or whatever that ps2 emulator is.

Source?

Also it's pointless to work on a PS2 emulator since there is already one. JUst unlock the damn thing.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
drk||Raziel is not working on anything yet, tons of sites misquoted him.

Wow, various sites really didn’t read this carefully. To clarify:
Work on these ports has _not_ started yet. I need a ps3 to realistically do anything, and to be able to release we need a public sdk with some at-least-decent access to the RSX.

Source: http://drk.emudev.org/blog/?p=147

There's simply no way to compile homebrew right now without the leaked Sony SDK, which is illegal to use unless you are a licensed dev. An open-source ps3toolchain is being worked on but it'll be awhile before it's finished.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I don't mean to be harsh, and I hope I'm wrong but by the time decent homebrew comes out, the PS4 will be out... I mean we're 5 years into the PS3 lifecycle... That 1/2 it's supposed lifespan.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't mean to be harsh, and I hope I'm wrong but by the time decent homebrew comes out, the PS4 will be out... I mean we're 5 years into the PS3 lifecycle... That 1/2 it's supposed lifespan.

Many devs have said that this generation is expected to last 2-3 more years.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Many devs have said that this generation is expected to last 2-3 more years.

I know that, but I don't believe it will happen. Specially not for the 360 and mainly the Wii...

El Diablo

I think the ps3 has at least a good 2-3 years left.

Scorned

Personally I think it's a good thing that the PS3 was hacked. If every major emulator is ported to the PS3 then that would be awesome and would definitely be a deciding factor in getting one for me.

This. Not that I care too much about PS2 emulation (mine was an earlier one), emulation of older consoles (NES, SNES, N64, etc) and possibly xmb manipulation would be the only thing that would make me go for it.

Who exactly is it bad for other than Sony? The 360 hardly went into self destruct mode when it was exploited, solely to run ISOs I might add.

An interesting point, even with piracy the 360 has managed to compete very well alongside the PS3.

I have it's doubts for homebrew on the PS3 platform. It's not like anything else, it's a massively parallel architecture which I doubt hobbyists have much experience with.

The current consoles (sans the Wii) still have a bit of kick in them. Definitely for the next 2-3 years and maybe even 5.

vXAlexanderXv

Even if the "PS4" is out before homebrew is developed, I'm in it for the long haul. I wish I still had a PS2 to run the emulators they have for that, so I would defiantly keep my PS3 for emulation purposes. I'm not really interested in the backup aspect of it all.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Your such a fanboy lul

You're such as raving idiot. lul

Why is being realistic make me a fanboy? o_O Plus I was just referring to the fact that this gen will end at the same time as the others and not last 2-3 years.

LocutusEstBorg

I don't mean to sound discouraging or unappreciative of the developers but this is neither good or bad because the 'hack' is already dead IMO. These kind of patchable exploits are completely meaningless to the end user as they will be forced to upgrade since online services are a MAJOR part of the system. It is obvious there will never be easy ways to play the new games like the PSP can while still on 5.03 CFW. No one will hack the firmware to that level as I believe the effort required is far too great at this point.

I however do look forward to a more permanent hack and piracy while being able to play games requiring the latest firmware. Online doesn't matter to me.