• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 finally hacked. Good or bad?

january39

eXo Staff
In my case it is patched already, i have 3.42 now - i wanted psn back. Black op's (in my case) would force a FW update either way...

Things are moving now though, wont be long till we have something more permanent.

Dan

Contributor
I don't mean to sound discouraging or unappreciative of the developers but this is neither good or bad because the 'hack' is already dead IMO. These kind of patchable exploits are completely meaningless to the end user as they will be forced to upgrade since online services are a MAJOR part of the system. It is obvious there will never be easy ways to play the new games like the PSP can while still on 5.03 CFW. No one will hack the firmware to that level as I believe the effort required is far too great at this point.

I however do look forward to a more permanent hack and piracy while being able to play games requiring the latest firmware. Online doesn't matter to me.

As far as I know, Mathieulh and his team are pushing for level 1 access as we speak, the hack is only just beginning.

As for playing online, I'm considering buying another PS3 just for that.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
As far as I know, Mathieulh and his team are pushing for level 1 access as we speak, the hack is only just beginning.

As for playing online, I'm considering buying another PS3 just for that.

If people need to have two PS3's to use this, then this hack is an utter fail. Most people can't afford one PS3, let alone two of them... It's my opinion though..

ilyace

If people need to have two PS3's to use this, then this hack is an utter fail. Most people can't afford one PS3, let alone two of them... It's my opinion though..

How? People are just being safe, one console for playing backups and getting banned on PSN, and one for legit online play. People do the same with 360s...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
How? People are just being safe, one console for playing backups and getting banned on PSN, and one for legit online play. People do the same with 360s...

Yes I know that... But that doesn't mean it's a financially viable option... It would be better if there is a way to cirvumvent that... But I'm no dev and I know it must be a pain to do... Again, it's just my opinion..

I want to use it, I can't afford another PS3. So I'm fucked.

ilyace

Yes I know that... But that doesn't mean it's a financially viable option... It would be better if there is a way to cirvumvent that... But I'm no dev and I know it must be a pain to do... Again, it's just my opinion..

I want to use it, I can't afford another PS3. So I'm fucked.

There's a difference between saying that you and other people can't afford a second console and saying that "this hack is an utter fail."

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
There's a difference between saying that you and other people can't afford a second console and saying that "this hack is an utter fail."

Partly it is... If you get what I'm trying to say... Because if it forces you to get another PS3 then it alienates many users wanting to use it, such as myself.

It's like if Sony started making PS3 Slim-only games =\

And yes, I know I sounded rather harsh, but I didn't mean to insult the devs who worked on this.

ilyace

Partly it is... If you get what I'm trying to say... Because if it forces you to get another PS3 then it alienates many users wanting to use it, such as myself.

It's like if Sony started making PS3 Slim-only games =\

And yes, I know I sounded rather harsh, but I didn't mean to insult the devs who worked on this.

It doesn't *force* you to do anything, if anything getting a second console is just taking that extra precaution. There are still other methods you can try to avoid getting a ban that don't involve getting a second console.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It doesn't *force* you to do anything, if anything getting a second console is just taking that extra precaution. There are still other methods you can try to avoid getting a ban that don't involve getting a second console.

The problem is that no one in their right mind is willing to take such a risk and getting their console banned (which would be a bummer)... At least I'm not xD Sony hasn't started banning people... yet.

ilyace

The problem is that no one in their right mind is willing to take such a risk and getting their console banned (which would be a bummer)... At least I'm not xD Sony hasn't started banning people... yet.

There are actually plenty of people who are in their right minds who would take such a risk...People have gotten banned, but it's just been their accounts, not the actual consoles. You can still login to other PSN accounts you may have.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
All log files are accessible in plaintext on the HDD, in theory someone could write an app that deletes all traces of any third-party apps run on a user account, or even disable logging completely.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
There are actually plenty of people who are in their right minds who would take such a risk...People have gotten banned, but it's just been their accounts, not the actual consoles. You can still login to other PSN accounts you may have.

I guess you're right... But it's still a bummer if you do get banned...

All log files are accessible in plaintext on the HDD, in theory someone could write an app that deletes all traces of any third-party apps run on a user account, or even disable logging completely.

Disable logging sounds pretty useful...

ilyace

You can also make a separate local account on your PS3 (one of those offline ones) so nothing ever shows up on your main. Hardly an "an utter fail" to me :p

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
how is this a fail at all?, it's an exploit of the system, anyone who runs the exploit shoudn't be doing so if they don't want to get banned, it's a risk you take, and if your not willing to take that risk, then don't do it, as simple as that.

last November when microsoft finally managed to come up with a way to detect the modified dvd drive, i found it so funny that people were getting angry at the devs for being banned when they themselves were at fault for doing it anyway. anyone who runs an exploit of a system has only themselves to blame for being banned.

keyblayder

The only fail thing for me (just only my opinion) is that people want this exploit to download or whatever they do to play free games.I want this exploit to use and take advantage of what Sony doesn't want me to do.The PS3 has great hardware and i really want to investigate it's architecture.Just like what happened to the PSP.So many great apps.Apps that can unlock it's full hardware.I can imagine my PS3 playing MKV videos which Sony refuses to allow us and PS2 emulation on a slim or a non-compatible PS3 model.That would be great but im afraid that piracy will destroy it just like the PS3.Developers were counting on PS3 as it has never shown any sight of piracy.Now they can turn in another way.Because so many first-party companies when they start to make a game they have 2 goals.1 is money and 2 is high sales and people to be satisfied with their product.If from 1000 people the 70% of them are downloading free the game the company will start to think of different ways to make money.Like going multiplatform.I don't know yet we will see...

LocutusEstBorg

The only fail thing for me (just only my opinion) is that people want this exploit to download or whatever they do to play free games.I want this exploit to use and take advantage of what Sony doesn't want me to do.The PS3 has great hardware and i really want to investigate it's architecture.Just like what happened to the PSP.So many great apps.Apps that can unlock it's full hardware.I can imagine my PS3 playing MKV videos which Sony refuses to allow us and PS2 emulation on a slim or a non-compatible PS3 model.That would be great but im afraid that piracy will destroy it just like the PS3.Developers were counting on PS3 as it has never shown any sight of piracy.Now they can turn in another way.Because so many first-party companies when they start to make a game they have 2 goals.1 is money and 2 is high sales and people to be satisfied with their product.If from 1000 people the 70% of them are downloading free the game the company will start to think of different ways to make money.Like going multiplatform.I don't know yet we will see...

That's a BS excuse. When you have enough dough to keep buying games, you only need a hack for homebrew. Other people need piracy to even warranty buying a PS3. They are most definitely NOT generating losses for anyone. There will of course be a percentage of loss from rich cheapskates, but I believe it will have little to no impact seeing that most people buy original 360 games despite it being hacked.

FadedHearts

Sony released a firmware update that patched that PS3 hack. So it obvious every time someone makes a new hack Sony will fix that vulnerability via a firmware update. Someone has to make a more powerful hack soon.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm such a dumbass... I have a US account I don't use anymore... Might aswell use it for the hack ;D

Since they only ban accounts and not the console itself. Furthermore, if you are banned to you lose access to content you have downloaded/own? If so I'll have to use my second EU account since it has no downloads xD

Dan

Contributor
Sony released a firmware update that patched that PS3 hack. So it obvious every time someone makes a new hack Sony will fix that vulnerability via a firmware update. Someone has to make a more powerful hack soon.

No, we can choose just not to update. I'm sure the PS3 dev team will release a bypass soon.