• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death Penalty

Chathurga

I don't think murder should ever be institutionalized. It's better to keep alive murderers in prison than to kill one innocent man.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I don't think murder should ever be institutionalized. It's better to keep alive murderers in prison than to kill one innocent man.

Then you have an issue of cost for keeping said murderers alive. That could be counterbalanced though with making the prisioners work 40 hours a week perhaps. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that we SHOULD kill prisioners because it's cheaper, I just wanted to point out the issue of cost.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Then you have an issue of cost for keeping said murderers alive. That could be counterbalanced though with making the prisioners work 40 hours a week perhaps. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that we SHOULD kill prisioners because it's cheaper, I just wanted to point out the issue of cost.

then comes the problem of those who don't work because..."why bother"?, and those who might try to escape if the opportunity arises

MenaceInc

Staff Member
then comes the problem of those who don't work because..."why bother"?, and those who might try to escape if the opportunity arises

That's what solitary confinement is for. As for escaping, well if the workplace is kept in the prison then it should help but there would need to be regulations and whatnot to ensure no one escapes.

Slasher

Suck It
I beg to differ. I understand that website you used is a legitimate Death Penalty site that tracks cases, dead and deceased, criminals, stories, and of course a lot death penalty records. However, in my own opinion, I think that it can be "stretched" when comprehending some of the facts. Here's where I think some of the studies are flawed.

FYI, I linked you to a peer-reviewed study. Appendix A is especially interesting seeing the results of all of the experts that were polled.

The point is capital punishment is inherently flawed for a whole whack of reasons, reasons which I'm really not in the mood to explain right now. Even experts agree.

I'm actually taking a few classes this semester relating to criminology/the sociology of punishment, so maybe when I'm in the mood I'll start shooting down your ideas :smile:

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I'm not going to attempt to read the whole thread. So excuse me if I'm repeating what somebody else said. But I don't think death is an easy way out at all. And it's ridiculous that anybody believes it is. Prison is a structured and limited facility, but in no way is it worse than death. Having known quite a few people who either are in prison or work in a prison, I've formed a belief that for many it's not a punishment at all. Lets not kill them lets leave them to rot and think about what they did. I'm sure they'll try to squeeze some time for remorse in between the conjugal visits and cable TV.

However I don't think that every criminal is the same, and the overcrowding can be helped if they stop locking up people who could easily learn their lesson with house arrest.

elite

Oldie moldie
A similar thing is when the country decides which soldiers they want to go to the war. As if they are indirectly deciding the soldiers' fate. If not deciding, then putting on risk. Wouldn't that be disallowed too?

Prisoners cost lot of money in prison, from feeding to shelter to... The country doesn't have to be responsible.

Just a few things to think about. :p

LocutusEstBorg

Serious crime rates are very low over here, probably because hardly anyone has a gun. As of now I personally don't know a single person who owns a gun. Even a single rape case makes national headlines for a month.

About the death penalty, I believe in torture and suffering. The death penalty should only be reserved for people who are genuinely insane or have mental disorders such that they really can't comprehend that they've wronged. There isn't a point in keeping them alive. As for the rest of them, I'd probably be committed if people knew the thoughts that run through my head. I must have been a Schutzstaffel interrogator in a previous life :D

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

I'm not going to attempt to read the whole thread. So excuse me if I'm repeating what somebody else said. But I don't think death is an easy way out at all. And it's ridiculous that anybody believes it is. Prison is a structured and limited facility, but in no way is it worse than death.

Maybe if the guy is a moron that gets by on basic instinct for self preservation. Any intelligent person would rather die than have their mind rot. I'd only pull a murder-suicide. There's this guy in India who's on trial and will get the death penalty when convicted. The system is so fucking slow over here that the guy is begging to be executed after rotting in a village jail in the middle of nowhere!

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Not really
When some homie went inside my house he went through the door which always use too be open before that
I was watching some show and they said a dog is a better deterrent than a alarm,

Yes. There are walk-in thieves. Some dude tried to walk into my place and the dog cornered him up on the porch bench.

Moose

Meta Moose
About the death penalty, I believe in torture and suffering. The death penalty should only be reserved for people who are genuinely insane or have mental disorders such that they really can't comprehend that they've wronged. There isn't a point in keeping them alive.

Why is there no point in keeping them alive? I believe that a life is infinitely valuable and no person has it in their rights to take anothers life. The fact that they are mentally unstable should deter the state from putting them on death row. Wouldn't it make more sense to punish those (I still think in this case the death penalty is totally wrong) who realise what they have done was wrong than to punish those who, as a result of a mental instability, do not?

The system is so fucking slow over here that the guy is begging to be executed after rotting in a village jail in the middle of nowhere!

The state has driven him to want to die. That's disgraceful. That does not in any way support the death penalty. If anything it shines light on your criminal justice system.

LocutusEstBorg

The fact that they are mentally unstable should deter the state from putting them on death row. Wouldn't it make more sense to punish those (I still think in this case the death penalty is totally wrong) who realise what they have done was wrong than to punish those who, as a result of a mental instability, do not?

No, it's like putting down a man-eating animal. They can't be corrected or made to feel remorse (thus rendering jail time useless). Life imprisonment/solitary confinement is worse than death. It'd drive someone insane. (You could kill them after that though if they actually go insane, since further imprisonment would be pointless)

Moose

Meta Moose
No, it's like putting down a man-eating animal. They can't be corrected or made to feel remorse (thus rendering jail time useless). Life imprisonment/solitary confinement is worse than death. It'd drive someone insane. (You could kill them after that though if they actually go insane, since further imprisonment would be pointless)

It depends where you go to prison I guess. If you go to prison in India, then yeah. Here, not so much.

What would you constitute as insanity? How would you decide if someone was insane enough to die? What if they never became insane, should they still be killed taking into consideration that insanity is apparently inevitable?

LocutusEstBorg

I don't favor one over the other. What I'm trying to say is people who normally get death penalties shouldn't get death penalties. They should be imprisoned for life, or until further imprisonment is ineffectual at deteriorating them further and only then executed. Thus where ever you draw the line at declaring insanity, it would still reduce the number of executions. At the same time their suffering would be maximized.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Maybe if the guy is a moron that gets by on basic instinct for self preservation. Any intelligent person would rather die than have their mind rot. I'd only pull a murder-suicide. There's this guy in India who's on trial and will get the death penalty when convicted. The system is so fucking slow over here that the guy is begging to be executed after rotting in a village jail in the middle of nowhere!
One could argue that an intelligent person wouldn't end up there in the first place.

Adiuvo

What he's saying is that the intelligent person would have the facilities to find a way to not commit the crime in the first place.

El Diablo

So one of those cunts in CT got the death penalty, all I can say is the death penalty isn't enough. He should be raped with every sharp object imaginable to man, then have the shit beat out of him, and eventually finish it the same way he finished off that family and tie him to a bed, cover him in gasoline and sheets covered in gasoline and light him up.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
He's getting what he deserves in my opinion. My wife thinks he should rot in jail for the rest of his life since he's tried to kill himself since being caught.

I'd rather not see another tax dollar spent on him.

Adiuvo

Those are the Petit murders, right? That's one of the few cases where I can't see anyone argue against them being put to death.