• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Reason we can't play OFW 5.55 games until we get 5.55 CFW

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
You may have noticed people going 'OH NO!!!!' when they heard games were requiring OFW 5.55 .Games like Soul Calibur, GI JOE and probably upcoming ones like Motorstorm, LBP and Gran Turismo Portable. Others were going 'It's OK you noob, we have the version fake plugin and the version.txt trick, sony can't stop us!'. Well they try it and it doesn't work. Oh no, what's wrong? :argh: Well this post by Mathieulh from psp-hacks forum should clear it up.

Originally Posted by Mathieulh
The reason those games fail to run is basically because the games prx key has changed in 5.55 so EBOOT.BIN wont decrypt in earlier firmwares as those do not have the proper key to decrypt it (EBOOT.BIN is the game's main executable)
This pretty much renders all new games unplayable on pre 5.55 firmware, there are two ways to bypass this, either update the custom firmware's kernel to 5.55 or decrypt the games EBOOT.BIN (after getting the new keys) and run it unencrypted from an earlier kernel (although I would not advise that in case the new games are using nids that have been introduced in 5.55)

I hope this clears your understanding as to why your games wont run on current custom firmwares (which is sad for people who actually purchase those).

Considering I am retired from the psp scene and I have other things to do than to look for prx keys or supply custom firmware updates, that pretty much leaves you on your own, your best shot is either to wait on a GEN update or to get these games to run by yourselves (by making your own CFW update or by updating prxdecrypter to decrypt the new 5.55 game binaries)

So basically until a 5.55 CFW is made or we somehow get a new prxdecrypter module made for our non 5.55 PSP's we'll never be able to play the games that require 5.55 because the main eboot file in the iso is encrypted differently to ones from previous firmware. So its like trying to decrypt a CIA confidential encyted letter with a decrypting code ring from a cereal box.

This is just some information. No requests. No arguing. Just for people who may not understand what the fuss is about with 5.55 and who may not know why they can't play their games.

Thanks to Mathieulh for writing the post in bold

Mraellis

Hmm maybe if others struggle this'll get DAX back. If not i guess i'll go to GEN at last come Little Big Planets release. I need more LBP. :)

shikamaru

Plus, I don't suppose this will ever get onto 3k/88v3 without a flashed CFW as it will need a new prxdecrypter which is only available on the 5.55 OFW but who knows, maybe it'll be ported/patched over to older CFW's by someone. The only real option is a 5.55 CFW right now and apparantly team MX are going to release a 5.55MX but i've never heard of that group before and maybe it'll be another fake

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Guess you guys have to wait for GEN as they are the only ones that can/will do it.

Will they do it, though? They have enough haters...

shikamaru

When they see that they can't play/possibly pirate these new games (LBP, Gran turismo, Assasins creed, Motorstorm etc) that hate will magically turn into love for whoever says that they can help them. Its the circle of getting what they want by lying and constantly changing opinion to suit the situation

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Lets see how long the haters stay hating?

Let's make a bet... I say by the time OFW 6.0 hits :p

But Shikamaru is right, it sickens me really... Example: No one will buy my PSP, for one reason: it is not "pirated"

shikamaru

Let's make a bet... I say by the time OFW 6.0 hits :p

I'd say... When another person like Mathieus or Dark jack come around with empty promises of 5.55 or any upcoming FW on CFW

Hellcat

Contributor
Hm, I clearly remember writing and sending "If ppl would just consider - and even for a second - to BUY their damn games, drama would be over about highly up-to-date CFW requirey".

Not that I wrote in the wrong tab and it ended up in the wrong thread *lol* :argh:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Hm, I clearly remember writing and sending "If ppl would just consider - and even for a second - to BUY their damn games, drama would be over about highly up-to-date CFW requirey".

Not that I wrote in the wrong tab and it ended up in the wrong thread *lol* :argh:

took the words right out of my mouth :p

Crank

Crank it up!
Yeah, buying the games is all fine and dandy until... you want to use homebrew. You're fucked if you don't have a pandorable PSP. And even then, flashing between firmwares is plain lame if you have to go through all that for -a game-.

So yeah, there are legitimate uses for up-to-date CFWs. Don't judge them just because the CFW happens to have an ISO loader.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yeah, buying the games is all fine and dandy until... you want to use homebrew. You're fucked if you don't have a pandorable PSP. And even then, flashing between firmwares is plain lame if you have to go through all that for -a game-.

So yeah, there are legitimate uses for up-to-date CFWs. Don't judge them just because the CFW happens to have an ISO loader.

Crank I get your point but, people like you are a small minority...

I made a sweet deal to sell my PSP (cheaper and with warranty) and no one wanted it, know why? Cuz it doesn't run isos... And I put the deal in plenty of sites...

Crank

Crank it up!
Crank I get your point but, people like you are a small minority....
Yeah, well, I bought my PSP more for coding than the official games (I only own GripShift and a few PSN titles) and until lately it's just been collecting dust for months. So yeah, people like me are a small minority :)

But yeah, you're right. But I still don't like people going full-on against people who would want a new CFW.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yeah, well, I bought my PSP more for coding than the official games (I only own GripShift and a few PSN titles) and until lately it's just been collecting dust for months. So yeah, people like me are a small minority :)

But yeah, you're right. But I still don't like people going full-on against people who would want a new CFW.

I own 14 UMD Games + 1 UMD Movie + 3 PSN PSP Titles + 3 PSN PSX Titles... But I am planning on still getting a few more...

I just wish more people were like me... But yes, CFW is a useful to to have when not misused

Hellcat

Contributor
Of course there are (a few) that really want to use homebrew AND play the most recent games.... granted, that's a problem indeed.

I for my part (having a Fat) have a nice working solution: the PSP is on the most recent available OFW flashwise, but armed with a fully set up pandora, the TM/DDC IPL loader is configured to boot from flash by default - everything official runns fine.
When I want to test something or run a HB, if hold "down" while powering on, booting a DDC and so 4.01-M33 from stilck - perfect environment to run my HBs.

Unfortunately that setup does not work on the slim, as the IPL loader is not able to boot from flash on it.

A devhook-like thing would be sweet, to boot a full OFW from stick, launched from CFW....