• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using the "Pandora's Battery" Unbricker

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Note: Following the instructions in this guide will NOT unbrick a PSP Slim. If you're looking to unbrick your PSP Slim, please check out the Universal Unbricker guide. The universal unbricker works with both the PSP Phat and Slim, whereas this method only works on the Phat.

What is Pandora's Battery?
Sony's unbricking services use a special battery to boot up the so-called "Service Mode" on PSP. By following this guide, you will be able to convert any ordinary PSP battery into the very same battery Sony uses to unbrick and restore PSP firmwares.

Who created it?
It was created by a team consisting of some of the most well-known developers on the PSP scene, including Adrahil, BOOSTER, Cswindle, Dark_AleX, Ditlew, Fanjita, Joek2100, Jim, Mathieulh, Nem, Psp250, Skylark, and TyRaNiD.

Guide Credits
Posted with credits and permission from FreePlay @ http://f6y.ath.cx/pspdev/PandoraGuide.html

The following steps will guide you through the process of converting your PSP battery into Pandora's Battery, which then can be used for restoring the PSP firmware a.k.a unbricking. Please note that you must be running firmware 1.5 or any custom firmware to convert the battery. Once the battery is converted, however, it can be used on any PSP.

Requirements:
Firmware 1.5 Update
Pandora Battery ZIP Archive
Memory Stick PRO DUO (32MB sticks are usually DUO, so they won't work)
Regular PSP Battery (do NOT use Slim batteries, they won't work)

Step 1: Extract the .ZIP file, using WinRAR or any similar utility.

Step 2: Insert the memory stick that you want to turn into a "magic memory stick." Back up the contents of the stick to your computer.

Step 3: Use the built-in format tool (in the PSP System Settings menu) to reformat your memory stick.

Step 4: Connect your PSP in USB mode.

Step 5: Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)

Step 6: In the command prompt, switch into the 'mspformat' folder you extracted in step 1... wherever you put it.

Step 7: Type "mspformat X" where X is the drive of your PSP. Do not include the colon. For example, my PSP is connected at O:, so I type "mspformat O".

You should see a prompt like this:

>>> C:\psp\pandora\mspformat>mspformat.exe O
>>> You are about to format the drive O.
>>> All data will be lost. Do you want to continue? [Y]

Type 'y'.

>>> y

and you should see

>>> Drive successfully formatted, and partition moved.

Step 8: Disconnect from USB mode, then remove and re-insert your memory stick. Reconnect in USB mode.

Step 9: On the root of your memory stick if there is not a folder called PSP than create it, next go inside the PSP folder and make sure that you have folders named GAME and GAME150. If you don't have them, make them.

Step 10: Copy the two folders from 'battery' into GAME (for 1.50) or GAME150 (for custom firmware). The folders should be named "pandora_battery" and "pandora_battery%", so they should be \PSP\GAME\pandora_battery and \PSP\GAME\pandora_battery% (or \PSP\GAME150\pandora_battery and \PSP\GAME150\pandora_battery%).

Step 11: Disconnect from USB mode, insert the battery you wish to use as your unbricker, and run "Pandora's Battery Creator" from the Memory Stick section of the GAME menu.

Step 12: ***OPTIONAL - SEE NOTE *** Press Triangle to back up the contents of your battery's flash into a file on you memory stick. The program will automatically exit. Run "Pandora's Battery Creator" one more time. *Note:* This step is REQUIRED if you want to make this a normal battery again; otherwise it's optional.

Step 13: Press X to turn your battery into an unbricking battery (a Service Mode battery). The program will automatically exit.

Step 14: Connect in USB mode.

Step 15: Copy the Firmware 1.50 update file onto the root of your memory stick; it should be the same place as your "PSP" folder. Rename it to "UPDATE.PBP".

Step 16: The extracted folder "installer" contains two folders. Copy both of these into the same place you copied "pandora_battery".

Step 17: Disconnect from USB mode and run "Pandora's Battery Firm. Installer" from the Memory Stick section of the GAME menu.

Step 18: Press X to unpack the 1.50 firmware files into their proper place on your memory stick. The program will automatically exit. If this step fails, go back into USB mode and rename "UPDATE.PBP" to just "UPDATE", then try again.

Step 19: Connect in USB mode. Look in the root of your memory stick (where you have the PSP folder and the UPDATE.PBP file). There should be a file named "msipl.bin".

Step 20: Copy "msipl.bin" into the folder called "msinst" that was extracted from the ZIP file.

Step 21: In the Command Prompt, switch into the "msinst" folder... wherever you put it.

Step 22: Type "msinst X msipl.bin" where X is the drive of your PSP. Do not include the colon. For example, my PSP is connected at O:, so I type "msinst O msipl.bin".

You should see a prompt like this. I guarantee that your stuff will be slightly different; it depends on how your computer is set up, what sort of memory stick you have, and so on. As long as you get the "Are You Sure? [Y]" prompt, you know that the msipl.bin file is OK.

>>> C:\psp\pandora\msinst>msinst O msipl.bin
>>> PSP MS IPL Installer
>>> Load IPL code msipl.bin
>>> 241664 bytes(59 block) readed
>>>
>>> Target DRIVE is 7
>>> Check partation Sector
>>> boot status 0x80
>>> start head 0x05
>>> start sec/cyl 0x0004
>>> partation type 0x06
>>> last head 0x0F
>>> last sec/cyl 0xB7E0
>>> abs sector 0x00000810
>>> ttl sector 0x000767F0
>>> signature 0xAA55
>>> Check BPB Sector
>>> signature AA55
>>> Check free reserved sector:OK
>>> Write ABS Sector 0x10 to 0x1E7
>>> Are You Sure ?[Y]

Type 'y'.

>>> y

and you should see

>>> Write MS BOOT CODE

That means that you now have a "magic" memory stick.

You're all set!

To unbrick a bricked PSP (this part's a lot easier, I promise):

1. With a working PSP or memory stick reader, copy the firmware 1.50 update file into the root of the "magic" memory stick, namd UPDATE.PBP, just like in step 15 above.
2. Insert the "magic" memory stick.
3. Insert the unbricker battery. Your wifi, memory stick, and power lights should all turn on temporarily, and a menu should appear.
4. Press X. After it checks the update file, you should get another menu.
5. Press X to write Firmware 1.50 onto the PSP.

That's it... just let it work!

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I just got through trying all this: it works just as advertised, folks. No worries. I backed up the eeprom on my battery for the heck of it, and ran Pandora and dumped my nand. I have to say, I'm VERY impressed with what these folks have done. Just when I thought I couldn't be amazed any more. :D

supaquickt

Thanks to FreePlay and x3sphere for putting this up. Posted in News thread but I think its good to stick it here as well as I'm sure people want to know experiences at this early stage, followed this guide and had no problems at all downgrading a 3.40.

I used the following:

Memory Stick: 1gb pro duo Original SANDISK
Battery: Original SONY

EDIT: And another successful downgrade 3.11

dennis96411

But what do you mean when you say:
Step 6: In the command prompt, switch into the 'mspformat' folder you extracted in step 1... wherever you put it.

cyrus

uhm so wait.. how do you use this to downgrade a psp that has 3.50 fw?can somebody pls tell me or show me how?im a little confused..thanks in advance guys.. :w00t:

Acerthief

say you put the mspformat folder in C:\. then after you get to C:\ on your command line, type mspformat.exe i (i stands for the letter of you PSP drive). then press enter, and it's going to ask you if are sure to format. type y, and format.

uhm so wait.. how do you use this to downgrade a psp that has 3.50 fw?can somebody pls tell me or show me how?im a little confused..thanks in advance guys.. :w00t:

after the batter and memory stick is made, take out the battery and ms out of the psp for a few seconds, the put the memory stick in back FIRST then the battery. it's going to get to the "service mode" screen, press X and follow the instructions.

EDIT: no offence x3, but i'd say it might still be confusing. i'll take a few screen shot and see if you want to put it on. how bout that?
EDIT2: uploading picture on photobucket done! waiting for your call x3sphere!!

Chilly Willy

Contributor

Pandora's battery requires a homebrew enabled PSP to make the battery and memstick. After they are made, they can be used on any PSP to downgrade or unbrick the PSP. People are already making and selling Pandora batteries and sticks on eBay for people without access to a homebrew enabled PSP to make their own.

Assuming you have the battery and stick, you put the stick into the PSP, then insert the battery. The PSP will automatically turn on and go into service mode, showing the Pandora menu where you can choose to downgrade the PSP, back up the NAND flash, or restore the NAND flash. It's that simple. It's MAKING the battery and stick that is confusing to people.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

In the command prompt, just switch to the mspformat folder. Like this:

cmd.jpg

Typing "cd .." takes you to the previous folder, and typing "cd folder_name" will enter the folder.

supaquickt

Its a great guide the only mistake I had was on step 9 when it says:

"Step 9: On your memory stick, make sure that you have folders named GAME and GAME150 in a folder named PSP. If you don't have them, make them."

I was eager to get this to work and stupidly just create the GAME and GAME150 folders straight on the root (hits head). I realized in step 10 when I read the path, absolute noobs to CFW and DOS might not pick it up.

Maybe something like:

"Step 9: On the root of your memory stick if there is not a folder called PSP than create it, next go inside the PSP folder and make sure that you have folders named GAME and GAME150. If you don't have them, make them."

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

"Step 9: On your memory stick, make sure that you have folders named GAME and GAME150 in a folder named PSP. If you don't have them, make them."

I was eager to get this to work and stupidly just create the GAME and GAME150 folders straight on the root (hits head). I realized in step 10 when I read the path, absolute noobs to CFW and DOS might not pick it up.

Maybe something like:

"Step 9: On the root of your memory stick if there is not a folder called PSP than create it, next go inside the PSP folder and make sure that you have folders named GAME and GAME150. If you don't have them, make them."

Yeah good idea. I updated it :)

Chilly Willy

Contributor

Maybe something like:

Oh, by the same token, having JUST game and game150 won't work (or didn't for me). You also need to make the following in PSP before it shows the games: COMMON, SAVEDATA, and SYSTEM. You don't need anything in them, but the directories need to be there or the XMB won't show the games (it didn't for me in 3.52 M33-4).

jedsteroo

Pandora's Battery

Currently I don't have a USB cable to connect my computer to my PSP. However what i've been doing all these while is by using a memory card reader which is plugged into the USB slot of my computer to read my Sandisk 2GB MS PRO DUO. I have executed the programme to extract the firmware of 1.50 and the file mispl.bin is in the root folder of my memory stick.

my msinst folder containing the msint.exe file is on my desktop.

what should i do now?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Currently I don't have a USB cable to connect my computer to my PSP. However what i've been doing all these while is by using a memory card reader which is plugged into the USB slot of my computer to read my Sandisk 2GB MS PRO DUO. I have executed the programme to extract the firmware of 1.50 and the file mispl.bin is in the root folder of my memory stick.

my msinst folder containing the msint.exe file is on my desktop.

what should i do now?

Move the msipl.bin file to the msinst folder

Then open up command prompt, switch to the msinst folder, and type:

msinst X msipl.bin

Remember to replace X with the letter of your memory stick drive.

jedsteroo

Currently this is the scenario,

my "msinst" folder containing the msinst.exe and msipd.bin file is on my desktop.

therefore my memory stick itself does not contain the msipd.bin file and the msint folder containing the msinst.exe file right??

also, i go to start>run>cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\user\cd\ --------> bold is what i typed in

i get this:

C:\cd folder_msinst ------> bold is what i typed in.

the reply was:

the system cannot find the path specified.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Currently this is the scenario,

my "msinst" folder containing the msinst.exe and msipd.bin file is on my desktop.

therefore my memory stick itself does not contain the msipd.bin file and the msint folder containing the msinst.exe file right??

also, i go to start>run>cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\user\cd\ --------> bold is what i typed in

i get this:

C:\cd folder_msinst ------> bold is what i typed in.

the reply was:

the system cannot find the path specified.

Command prompt works like this..

You can type "cd .." to go back a folder, or type "cd folder" to enter a folder, where "folder" is the folder you want to enter.

I don't know where the Pandora archive contents are located on your computer but if you had them in C:\ then the MS-DOS window would look like this:

dos.jpg

Hopefully that makes more sense.

jedsteroo

C:\Documents and Settings\msinst>msinst H msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
241664 bytes(59 block) readed Target DRIVE is 1
Check partation Sector
boot status 0x80
start head 0x0B
start sec/cyl 0x0018
partation type 0x06
last head 0x7F
last sec/cyl 0xCFE0
abs sector 0x00000177
ttl sector 0x003CF689
signature 0xAA55
Check BPB Sector
signature AA55
Check free reserved sector:to small reserved sectors

This is what i get i don't have an option to hit Yes!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
C:\Documents and Settings\msinst>msinst H msipl.bin
PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
241664 bytes(59 block) readed Target DRIVE is 1
Check partation Sector
boot status 0x80
start head 0x0B
start sec/cyl 0x0018
partation type 0x06
last head 0x7F
last sec/cyl 0xCFE0
abs sector 0x00000177
ttl sector 0x003CF689
signature 0xAA55
Check BPB Sector
signature AA55
Check free reserved sector:to small reserved sectors

This is what i get i don't have an option to hit Yes!

You probably haven't ran the mspformat utility which was mentioned in the steps before this.