• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using the "Pandora's Battery" Unbricker

Chilly Willy

Contributor
The mspformat utility leaves some space free in front of the partition on the stick. The free space is room for the custom IPL which msinst writes to that free space. So if you don't use mspformat, there's no free space before the FAT partition on the stick for msinst to save the IPL to. Sevice mode merely loads whatever data is at the start of the stick, so the IPL HAS to be in that part of the stick. Think of it as the boot sectors of the harddrive in your computer.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
after reading all this i am not able to do this on 3.51?

Well, of course you can use the battery to downgrade 3.51, but you'll need someone with firmware 1.5 or any custom firmware to convert the battery for you.

jedsteroo

solve my own problem by a lil trial and error.

anyone out there who faces such a problem simply type "cd .." (without the " ") to get out of that specific folder.

2nd step: type "format X:" (where X is your drive for your memory stick ; without the " ")

click "enter" key

3rd step: type "cd mspformat" (without the " ")

4th step: type "mspformat X" (without the " ")

type "y" (without the " ")

PhreakAccident

I made my magic stick using a Sony 512MB Duo Pro. After creating the magic stick I then copied the 3.40OE updater with the DAX file to my GAME folder of the magic stick, as well as the M33 Update and M33-4 Updater into the GAME150. So all I have to do once I get any PSP to version 1.50 is to change out the battery, keep my magic stick in, and update away. A tremendous time saver!

I've done from 3.52 on a new mobo with no problems.

PA

imobile

when i was trying to format the men stick with mspformat it keep popping up "open error [read]??? so where did i do wrong???

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
when i was trying to format the men stick with mspformat it keep popping up "open error [read]??? so where did i do wrong???

By any chance are you running Vista? I don't think the program is compatible with Vista (got the same error) - I had to use XP when running it.

puffedkirby

Ok.
i understand the whole making a special battery idea.
but one thing puzzles me.

i want to downgrade my friends 3.52 for him and i CAN make the battery b/c i have a 3.52 M33 firmware. The thing i want to know is can you use the pandora battery to play the psp, or do u have to buy another one AFTER you unbrick the psp?

Thanks.

*edit*
i just read through the guide
and

Step 12: ***OPTIONAL - SEE NOTE *** Press Triangle to back up the contents of your battery's flash into a file on you memory stick. The program will automatically exit. Run "Pandora's Battery Creator" one more time. *Note:* This step is REQUIRED if you want to make this a normal battery again; otherwise it's optional.

how do u change it back after?

Acerthief

Check out THIS guide here. You'll need to take out your A/C adapter.

If you made a backup(backup eeprom.bin by pressing triangle before you convert it into a jigkick battery)
don't press square like what it said in the guide given above.
press L+R to put the eeprom.bin back to the battery.
it might get an error the first time, but try a few more times and it will flash the battery eeprom.bin properly.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...

TimTiger

Way to addicted to games.
I can honestly say this thing works, just bored I did every method I could think of to brick the thing. the only thing I havent done is the tiff brick that came out for a bit. I still have a running PSP on 3.52 M33

gkid007

SO, i am a newbie, can i downgrade 3.71 with this process? because i'm currently running 3.71 on my fat psp. ALso how safe is it?

Thank you all, you are all wounderfull people