• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

RETHINK_THAT

Uhmmm...I guess I really suck with "cmd". I tried all sorts of combinations and even though you guys made your tutorials idiot proof, I slipped through the cracks. I extracted the files and I even made a pandora folder on C so that I could just imitate what you guys had for the memory stick part but when I type what you guys did it says it cannot specify whether or not it is an internal or external command, and then the other error message was saying system cannot find the path specified. So, what do I do, because I want to learn all this stuff (it's all way cool). I can't take the AP Computer Sciences Class until next year though. Back on topic...if somebody could explain to me how to accomplish the step after typing in "cmd" that would be great! It says direct to the file, but I have absolutely no clue how to direct through this stuff like that. It's not user friendly :( (the start run thing, not the guide).

EDIT: Some more stuff: how is doing stuff on my C:\ gonna format the memory stick?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Uhmmm...I guess I really suck with "cmd". I tried all sorts of combinations and even though you guys made your tutorials idiot proof, I slipped through the cracks. I extracted the files and I even made a pandora folder on C so that I could just imitate what you guys had for the memory stick part but when I type what you guys did it says it cannot specify whether or not it is an internal or external command, and then the other error message was saying system cannot find the path specified. So, what do I do, because I want to learn all this stuff (it's all way cool). I can't take the AP Computer Sciences Class until next year though. Back on topic...if somebody could explain to me how to accomplish the step after typing in "cmd" that would be great! It says direct to the file, but I have absolutely no clue how to direct through this stuff like that. It's not user friendly :( (the start run thing, not the guide).

EDIT: Some more stuff: how is doing stuff on my C:\ gonna format the memory stick?

Is your PSP connected to the computer via USB? In order for me to help you I need to know exactly what you're typing in at the DOS prompt.

donsammy

i did both MS and Bat, i dont have another MS yet, could i format the magic MS for my PSP, and then make anotherone with the old Jig Bat???
it would be just format and thats it???

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i did both MS and Bat, i dont have another MS yet, could i format the magic MS for my PSP, and then make anotherone with the old Jig Bat???
it would be just format and thats it???

You don't need to format the magic memory stick if you want to keep using it normally. Is that what you're asking?

donsammy

You don't need to format the magic memory stick if you want to keep using it normally. Is that what you're asking?

just one to upload my emulators back and start playing.

if there is no need to format, would i be able to downgrade again wih magic MS and Bat???

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
just one to upload my emulators back and start playing.

if there is no need to format, would i be able to downgrade again wih magic MS and Bat???

Yes. After transferring your emulators to the stick you can still use it to downgrade without any problem.

RETHINK_THAT

Ok, so here are the specifics:
1. I am connected with a USB, I have an 1800mAh battery in and the original Sony 1 gig Pro Duo Memory Sick. The drive is labeled as K:\ and there is nothing on the memory card and it has just been formatted.

2. I go to Start>Run> and I type cmd and hit enter. Here is where the pandora folder is:
C:\pandora and then it continues C:\pandora\mspformat (all of the extracted files are under C:\pandora). Now, when cmd opens right away the directory shows up as:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>So I type: C:\>cd pandora and I hit enter. The following shows up:
Check the attatchment because it is a picture of exactly what I did, if it doesn't work just tell me, cause I think I would type it wrong.

Attachments

• Picture1.gif
    Picture1.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 41

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Ok, so here are the specifics:
1. I am connected with a USB, I have an 1800mAh battery in and the original Sony 1 gig Pro Duo Memory Sick. The drive is labeled as K:\ and there is nothing on the memory card and it has just been formatted.

2. I go to Start>Run> and I type cmd and hit enter. Here is where the pandora folder is:
C:\pandora and then it continues C:\pandora\mspformat (all of the extracted files are under C:\pandora). Now, when cmd opens right away the directory shows up as:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>So I type: C:\>cd pandora and I hit enter. The following shows up:
Check the attatchment because it is a picture of exactly what I did, if it doesn't work just tell me, cause I think I would type it wrong.

C:\>cd pandora

Just type cd pandora

No need to type the C:\> stuff. That's why its not working.

But since you are currently in the HP_Administrator folder, you will first need to type "cd .." without the quotes 2 times to get back to C:\

RETHINK_THAT

Alright, it's where I need to be so I'm gonna start following the guide. Thanks for dealing with my idiocy. Your answer was so short...thanks.

RETHINK_THAT

Hahaha! Seriously, you people are INGENIOUS! I wish I had this when I updated my PSP. It took like 2 minutes to do the other PSP! If only I could keep the battery and memory stick! That would make me feel a lot safer. So, two things: how do I get back to the menu in order to convert it back to a normal battery (and memory stick)? I would think that for the memory stick I could just format it on the PSP, but I don't want to do anything stupid...Thanks a lot everybody for your help! Man, I feel so accomplished right now. Props to whoever made it to where you can just automatically install 3.71 M22-2! That's way convenient! So do I need to add the 1.5 Kernel or is 3.71 M33-2 without flaw (or doesn't need anything added)? THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hahaha! Seriously, you people are INGENIOUS! I wish I had this when I updated my PSP. It took like 2 minutes to do the other PSP! If only I could keep the battery and memory stick! That would make me feel a lot safer. So, two things: how do I get back to the menu in order to convert it back to a normal battery (and memory stick)? I would think that for the memory stick I could just format it on the PSP, but I don't want to do anything stupid...Thanks a lot everybody for your help! Man, I feel so accomplished right now. Props to whoever made it to where you can just automatically install 3.71 M22-2! That's way convenient! So do I need to add the 1.5 Kernel or is 3.71 M33-2 without flaw (or doesn't need anything added)? THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to apply the 1.5 kernel patch, but it will increase compatibility with older homebrew. Most homebrew nowadays is written for both the 1.5 and 3.X kernel.

To restore the battery back to its previous state, insert the memory stick you used to create the battery with and boot up the OS Battery application again. An option that reads "Flash battery eeprom" will appear.

As for the memory stick, you can still use it normally without formatting, but if you want to free up space, then yes it's ok to format it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
hi i know ive already asked if this can be run on ofw psp but how about a psp running ofw 3.72?
Do you mean using the magic memory stick and battery on firmware 3.72? Yes, that works, it'll recover back to 3.71 M33-2 as normal.

NeedDream

Ok Newbie to the slims, have a phat psp already running 3.71 m33. My question is after turning my phat battery into a pandoras battery and using a magic ms to convert slim to 3.71m33... do I need to change my battery back from pandoras battery for my phat psp? And will my original battery for my slim work now in my modded slim? one more question... can any slim psp be be converted? Looking to buy a Daxter slim set.

Acerthief

Ok Newbie to the slims, have a phat psp already running 3.71 m33. My question is after turning my phat battery into a pandoras battery and using a magic ms to convert slim to 3.71m33... do I need to change my battery back from pandoras battery for my phat psp? And will my original battery for my slim work now in my modded slim? one more question... can any slim psp be be converted? Looking to buy a Daxter slim set.

Hm... not so "newbie" question XD.

Anyways, if you are going to use the phat PSP battery for normal gaming, then yes you'll need to convert it back.

and yes, your original slim PSP battery will work on your modded slim.

and last but no least, no the slim battery cannot be converted into a pandora. :)

NeedDream

Thx for the reply..., maybe not so much a Newbie, lol. Just new to the slim psp, wanna get one for my son. But I phrased my last question wrong. Can any new psp slim be modded(not the battery)? Now if I can follow the best step by step guide.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thx for the reply..., maybe not so much a Newbie, lol. Just new to the slim psp, wanna get one for my son. But I phrased my last question wrong. Can any new psp slim be modded(not the battery)? Now if I can follow the best step by step guide.

It can be modded, you just need to follow the steps outlined in this guide to create a Pandora battery + magic mem stick.

Using the battery + mem stick will allow you to install 3.71 M33-2 on a Slim unit.

SauceyWombat

Someone turned my battery & MS into the Pandora version that merely downgrades a PSP to 1.5

Is there any way I can change my set up to include an upgrade to 3.71 M33? Even better would be a P.U.M.S that would enable the dual options of running either 3.52 M33 or 3.71 M33.

Or do I need to start all over? I'm a bit concerned with messing around too much with my battery. I've heard some sad stories how batteries have turned into hockey pucks through the Pandora alteration.

Sorry if my question has already been answered in this thread. I did try to read through in search of my answer. I made it up to page 8 & realized there are 28 pgs altogether. I just don't have it in me to do that much sorting & sifting.

Thanks for your help.