• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

Chafiro

I solve the problem and finally I have my magic memory stick, how I did it, simply I used another computer, and I just began from step 12 with the same memory and at the first try it was done, I don`t know what`s wrong with the computer where I was making it the first time, well thanks anyway and great tutorial.

ryo-n-gats

Correct, but if you format the stick it also deletes msipl.bin. msipl.bin is a small file that's written to the first few sectors of the memory stick. It provides the bootup code for Pandora.

Actually, you can skip the part of using mspformat if the msipl.bin is already written.

Altough, everything you said sounds logical, it appeares to be wrong. :)
When msipl.bin is written to memory stick, it doesn't require msipl rewriting even after format.
I tried it with my 2GB which was alredy "msinst-ed" (and later formated), and friends 512MB which wasn't.
2GB worked perfectly without writing msipl, and second didn't. Then I wrote msipl on the 512 and Pandora worked. Then I have formated it, but didn't write msipl bin and it worked.
So it appeares that, when misplbin is writen once, it is unneccessary to do it ever again.
At least it works for me :)

xol2000

Hi I am a newb with psp and I tried this technique. Everything went well until the last step. I had the Pandora battery and magic memory stick prepared. I restarted my PSP but it still loaded into the XMB menu. I restarted a few more times. But now, the screen is just don't turn up at all. The power LED is green, and memory stick LED and the LED below it flashes few times, but that's all. It stays dark and nothing happens.

Can anyone help me out here? >_<

Edit:

I have tried to blindly follow the instruction and somehow it seems i am just not getting the screens. Ie. the downgrade/upgrade to 3.71-m33-2 did work if I just let it run and hit x in the end.

But now I am in a deeper mess....

Since I do not have another battery, I started the psp using power supply. To recover the battery, I follow the link posted in page 2. (I plug the battery back while the psp is running and recovered using the pandora tool). But when I try to restart using the recovered battery, I get a black screen (no backlight too) just like before. I took the battery out and see if i can try recover it again, and too my shock, I now cannot turn my psp on using the power supply either. So i am now left with a bricked psp with no pandora battery.

Can anyone help me out here? >_< and anyone has any idea why I am getting a black screen in the first place?

thank you

Acerthief

Hm... Looks like a bad flash.

Do you have anyone nearby (family, friends, etc) with another homebrew-enabled PSP?

Also:
Phat or Slim?
Brand and size of Memory Stick?

I have a phat, and my PSP cannot show the words. but i can do these blindly, so i'm guessing it might be your memory sticks problem.

xol2000

thanks for the timely reply.

My psp is phat
The stick is sony memory stick pro duo 2gb. But I do suspect it is non-genuion as the psp shows MagicGate as -

I do know 1 person that has a psp. But his one is on... v 3.1. Can this verion be used to make a battery?

and could you tell me if my current battery is fine? I mean, the system stoped working after I restored the battery. Is that also caused by the flash or is it now a battery issue as well?

Acerthief

try turning on your PSP with the AC adaptor and the battery NOT plugged in your PSP, again.
Also, Hold R while your turning on, and see if you can go to the "Recovery Menu".

and sadly your friend can't do the job for you as he has an official firmware, not custom.

Refer to THIS thread here, and see if you have a fake memory stick.

xol2000

I have tried various combinations of battery/AC/R bottom. Non-worked.

The no battery + AC was working before I recovered my battery and tried to run my psp with it.

I was using that eBay guide to see my stick too.

So my question remains... is this only caused by the stick? is the battery fine? and.. can i still get it to work?

Acerthief

hm.... I'm not sure as i don't have the PSP by my side.
Try taking out your memory stick before you turn on.

If it doesn't work, then it's a brick, and sadly you battery might be in a bad condition as well. :(

But don't give up yet!
I'd say wait for other mods' answer :D

xol2000

Yeah, it's a full brick. I have already tried turning it on without the stick.

I don't quite understand what is "bad" condition for the battery and how it was caused... like I said, it was restored. If it's "bad" does that mean I cannot use it on another psp either? (that is, can I use another psp with pandoral tool and set the battery to a different serial, or is this problem some thing even worse?)

thanx

Acerthief

maybe. you'll have to try it out in order to know

This is what i have:
6 batteries -> 4 dead, 1 pandora, 1 normal.

all the dead ones were from converting them either to a pandora or back to normal.
most of them died out during the restore of eeprom.

but not to hesitate, just buy two, and convert them ONCE and never convert again.

or just do the steps slowly, not like me XD.

xol2000

Yeah, I am pretty much planning to fork out alot to get it fixed (2 battery + 1 mem stick). The problem now is to find someone with a psp with homebrew firmware that is willing to borrow to someone that just bricked his own psp ... lol

BTW, I would like to know if this method support 8gb stick. Since I have seen various Pandora posts and some said only support to 4gb.

Acerthief

yup. only 4GB works. in fact there are problems with 8GB on custom firmware too (you can only use the first 4GB).
128mb is enough for the whole thing.
I'd recommend SanDisk memory sticks BTW. :D

There is a way, go to noobz.eu forums, and there's a thread where people post that are willing to make the battery and memory stick for you, maybe with a little fee but hey, it's better than nothing eh? XD

jemer99

I wanna buy a new psp slim...

Hi All,
I have tried searching for this and I couldn't find it. :confused1:

I was wondering, if I buy a new slim psp tomorrow, do I just follow this guide from step 1 or do I need to do something else in addition to this to get to 2.71 M33? Is there a "I just bought it, now what?" guide. (Can I use the battery that comes with slim? Do I need to know someone with another psp to make files for me?)

Sorry, I am a major noob, but I am very interested in this.

I really want to be able to cut out the load times and play some homebrew.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
-John

xol2000

Thanks Acerthief, for all your help.

I have managed to get my hand on a v1.5 and is slowing working my way to fix my little brick.

bru

x3sphere Thanks once again.
I had so much fun using your previous pandora battery unbricker guide I wanted to give your new universal unbricker guide a go, much easier, straight to 3.71m33-2, more +rep to you.

Also, thought I had a permanent pandora battery but cory149's Pandora Battery Tool 0.2 -> Convert to normal mode (0x12345678) worked perfectly to restore back to normal and then back to pandora etc. etc....

I'm worried, this all seems to be getting easier.

Many thanks to all contributers to EXOPHASE for sharing the knowledge.

heath conder

i need msipl.bin

is there any way that someone can email me the msipl.bin i dont know any one that i can get this from. thanks any way.

Text Edited, Acerthief 0906 11/04 GMT+8

nevster

hiya, excellent guide on making the ms and battery, just wondering tho, my mate saw me sort my bricked psp out and wants me to do his semi bricked one, hes not sure what fw hes on but he knoes its an ofw not custom, will it still work ok? and will it go straight to 3.71 m33?
thanks

Shoms

One question:
i have a 3.71 m33-2 slim psp and i also have a 3.6v 2200 mAh fat battery (made in china) that i just recently bought seperately... my question is, can i convert this fat battery into a pandora with my CFW slim psp and use it to unbrick another slim psp?

EDIT: ok i searched through this whole thread and found the answer to my question in page 17 (answer: yes you can convert the fat battery into a pandora with a CFW slim)! Thanks guys, and props to x3sphere and Acerthief on the time devoted to answering all the questions posted in this thread!!!! we love u =).