• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

Acerthief

yup. you'll need one with a custom firmware ;)

look if you have anyone nearby with custom firmware.
or you can look in the forums of noobz.eu

spoon_key

I got round to converting the battery and MS and I've just done the 2 PSP's and both are running 3.71 M33-2 :w00t:

One thing I never got was the BSOD on either PSP's but both are running 3.71 M33-2 great :biggrin:

One thing to mention, I was playing Fifa 08 on 3.52 M33-4 before updating so had saved data but after updating to 3.71 M33-2 I got load error so ended up loosing all my saved data from my Fifa 08 game! :sad: Other games with saved data such as Worms and Everybody's Golf were fine though.

Never mind atleast I now have a Pandora and Magic MS and 2 PSP's that are running on 3.71 M33-2 :smile:

Many thanks again

P.S The Import PSP still used X not Circle to install 3.71 M33-2, so the switch around didnt happen

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have a psp slim with sony's 3.71 fw... :(
Can you downgrade using this guide??

Yes but you will need another PSP running CFW to create the battery + magic mem stick.

Luff

Ok, i have a friend running homebrew so i can borrow his psp to make it..
I thougt that it was only 3.60 that worked with this guide!! :)
Thank you!! :)

shadowthor

On PSP Slim units, a menu will not appear due to display driver issues, but still press X to begin the 3.71 M33 installation.

x3sphere, time to update this particular line (above)?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
On PSP Slim units, a menu will not appear due to display driver issues, but still press X to begin the 3.71 M33 installation.

x3sphere, time to update this particular line (above)?

Yeah will update it, thanks :)

jimex289

Hello again. Altogether, how many times is the memory stick formatted to get a magic memory stick? 2 or 1? My friend's been telling me you need to format it once on the PSP, and once through the computer. Do I format it on the PSP slim first, then after it's done formatting, connect it to the computer via USB and format again using DOS?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hello again. Altogether, how many times is the memory stick formatted to get a magic memory stick? 2 or 1? My friend's been telling me you need to format it once on the PSP, and once through the computer. Do I format it on the PSP slim first, then after it's done formatting, connect it to the computer via USB and format again using DOS?

Just once, you don't need to format it on the PSP. Running only mspformat is sufficient.

Crono254

so i cant have 3.71 M33-2 working on a psp slim using a slim battery after following this process..? no possible way to convert the slim battery so it is compatible for custom firmware? so does the phat battery actually fit into the slim psp's or will it stick out..?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
so i cant get 3.71 M33-2 on a psp slim with a slim battery..? no possible way?

You can't use the battery conversion program with a Slim battery. The only way to turn a Slim battery into Pandora is by lifting a pin on the battery which is somewhat dangerous and requires soldering skills.

Ve5a

I have a problem.
I have (actually, had) a PSP runing 3.71 M33-2 +1.50 kernel addon.
For testing purposes I created Pandora battery and Magic MS following this guide, and tried to install 3.71 M33.
Everything went fine, i got black screen (with text) where i was asked to press X to install 3.71 M33, i pressed it, and after a ton of lines scrolled on the screen, it asked me to press X again.
I pressed it, and PSP was turned off.

I took out pandora battery and memory stick, and tried to boot PSP (with plugged AC adapter of course), and it started to boot. After the SCEE logo, stripes came out, time and date appeared, but in that moment psp just freezed!

Bad install? Hm... I inserted Pandora batt, and ms again run the instalation again, but hell, same thing, it just freezes on the part which i mentiond above.

What is the problem here?

I have used old guide, and succesfuly downgraded two PSPs. But I could boot PSP with plugged AC adapter (mainly because of restoring eeprom to battery).

I don't understand what is wrong now. Please help.

EDIT: And just to mention, I can enter recovery, if it means something.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have a problem.
I have (actually, had) a PSP runing 3.71 M33-2 +1.50 kernel addon.
For testing purposes I created Pandora battery and Magic MS following this guide, and tried to install 3.71 M33.
Everything went fine, i got black screen (with text) where i was asked to press X to install 3.71 M33, i pressed it, and after a ton of lines scrolled on the screen, it asked me to press X again.
I pressed it, and PSP was turned off.

I took out pandora battery and memory stick, and tried to boot PSP (with plugged AC adapter of course), and it started to boot. After the SCEE logo, stripes came out, time and date appeared, but in that moment psp just freezed!

Bad install? Hm... I inserted Pandora batt, and ms again run the instalation again, but hell, same thing, it just freezes on the part which i mentiond above.

What is the problem here?

I have used old guide, and succesfuly downgraded two PSPs. But I could boot PSP with plugged AC adapter (mainly because of restoring eeprom to battery).

I don't understand what is wrong now. Please help.

EDIT: And just to mention, I can enter recovery, if it means something.

Try this: after installing go to recovery and go to Advanced -> format1 and reset settings

Crono254

thx. sorry about all the questions. im new to this.
but is the Pandora's battery able to fit in nicely into the slim psp?
just wondering before i buy a psp whether i should really get a slim.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
thx. sorry about all the questions. im new to this.
but is the Pandora's battery able to fit in nicely into the slim psp?
just wondering before i buy a psp whether i should really get a slim.

It sticks out a little. Anyway after you finish installing 3.71 M33-2 you can go back to using the original Slim battery.

Crono254

ohhh so pandora's battery is only used for INSTALLING 3.71 M33-2??
lets say:
i buy a slim psp; i take out the slim battery and put in my friends phat Pandora's battery; install the custom firmware; then take out the Pandora's battery and put back in the slim battery; aftewards slim psp always succesfully boots up 3.71 M33-2 with the slim battery inside.

Would that be the case?
Thanks alot for your help, i appreciate it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ohhh so pandora's battery is only used for INSTALLING 3.71 M33-2??
lets say:
i buy a slim psp; i take out the slim battery and put in my friends phat Pandora's battery; install the custom firmware; then take out the Pandora's battery and put back in the slim battery; aftewards slim psp always succesfully boots up 3.71 M33-2 with the slim battery inside.

Would that be the case?
Thanks alot for your help, i appreciate it.

Yeah that's correct. The Pandora battery is only used for installing.

chemist

Staff infection
Im thinking on trading my PSP phat to gamestop and getting the psp slim and lite star wars edition with other credit. Is it possible to trade in the psp phat without the battery (so i can create Pandora's battery with my brothers phat) and get full credit?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Im thinking on trading my PSP phat to gamestop and getting the psp slim and lite star wars edition with other credit. Is it possible to trade in the psp phat without the battery (so i can create Pandora's battery with my brothers phat) and get full credit?

Probably not, I'm pretty sure you have to return all items that came with the PSP (AC adapter and Battery).