• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

thanks for a quick response.

1) I happen to have a slim psp with 3.60; i also have a pandora battery and a magic stick with 3.60m33. I prepared it before reading this thread but i've not tried it yet with my slim. can i follow steps in this thread to update my slim psp to 3.71m33-2 directly? or should i first update it to 3.60m33?
(note: i'have got a homebrew enabled fat psp thru which i prepared the pandora battery and 3.60m33 stick)

2) If i skip 3.60m33 and reformat my magic stick to follow steps mentioned in this thread to install 3.70m33-2 directly; when i try to move back to sony's firmware will it recover back to 3.60 (my original firmware right now) or will it recover back to sony's 3.71 firmware? just need to make sure what options i'll have before making the move :)

3) once i move back to original firmware from sony can it be detected somehow that this psp was once modified to install custom firmware? i mean is recovery to sony's firmware 100% clean? or does it leave some tracks?

thanks again

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
thanks for a quick response.

1) I happen to have a slim psp with 3.60; i also have a pandora battery and a magic stick with 3.60m33. I prepared it before reading this thread but i've not tried it yet with my slim. can i follow steps in this thread to update my slim psp to 3.71m33-2 directly? or should i first update it to 3.60m33?
(note: i'have got a homebrew enabled fat psp thru which i prepared the pandora battery and 3.60m33 stick)

2) If i skip 3.60m33 and reformat my magic stick to follow steps mentioned in this thread to install 3.70m33-2 directly; when i try to move back to sony's firmware will it recover back to 3.60 (my original firmware right now) or will it recover back to sony's 3.71 firmware? just need to make sure what options i'll have before making the move :)

3) once i move back to original firmware from sony can it be detected somehow that this psp was once modified to install custom firmware? i mean is recovery to sony's firmware 100% clean? or does it leave some tracks?

thanks again

Following the steps in this guide, you can update it directly to 3.71 M33-2. If you try to recover the PSP after installing, it'll install official 3.71. And no, it can't be detected that the PSP was modified.

Acerthief

sir acer can you pm me a complete guide on how to downgrade my psp..

your posting in the guide to downgrade right now ;)

All you need is
1)a phat PSP battery (buy it in any store, 3rd party not recommended)
2)a memory stick (128MB is good enough)
3)a homebrew enabled PSP (or look in the noobz.eu forums for people willing to help)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just asking: can you do this AFTER when the PSP is bricked?

Yeah, if you have a spare homebrew-capable PSP (or know someone who does).

DarkDove

Just one more question: After this process is complete, can you use the battery and the mem stick like I used it before? If not, what do you recommend I should get to install the unbricker. Also, does this installation process have a chance of bricking the PSP?
-pls. post a helpful answer and thanks a lot

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just one more question: After this process is complete, can you use the battery and the mem stick like I used it before? If not, what do you recommend I should get to install the unbricker. Also, does this installation process have a chance of bricking the PSP?
-pls. post a helpful answer and thanks a lot

There's no chance of bricking since no files on the PSP's flash are modified during the process. Once you've finished yes you can use the memory stick normally but as for the battery you will need to convert it back. To do this, when you convert the battery for the first time make sure you choose the backup eeprom option as it states in the guide. Then when you boot up the battery application for a second time, an option to restore the battery by flashing the eeprom.bin back will appear.

DarkDove

Thanks a lot for the quick repley, but would it be better if I just got another mem stick and a battery to do this?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thanks a lot for the quick repley, but would it be better if I just got another mem stick and a battery to do this?

That's what I did and I'd recommend it. That way you always have a backup plan for your PSP.

DarkDove

What kind and size of mem stick and what kind of battery do you recommend for this. Also I'm not made of money (just to let u know).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
What kind and size of mem stick and what kind of battery do you recommend for this. Also I'm not made of money (just to let u know).

256MB stick and the Sony-branded PSP battery. Should run about $50 altogether.

atari_x99

I have a FF VII Crisis Core Ice Silver PSP from Japan. I have successfully gone through the steps and was able to upgrade my white Star Wars PSP with the Universal unbricker from 3.60 to 3.71 M33-2. Will it work on the FF VII Crisis Core Ice Silver PSP from Japan? I paid a pretty penny for this and I don't want to risk using the unbricker without expert advice. Please let me know. Thank you so much and thanks for the guide. I have upgraded my original fat psp and star wars psp to latest firmware. Now I wait for the faith of my ff vii psp. Thank you.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have a FF VII Crisis Core Ice Silver PSP from Japan. I have successfully gone through the steps and was able to upgrade my white Star Wars PSP with the Universal unbricker from 3.60 to 3.71 M33-2. Will it work on the FF VII Crisis Core Ice Silver PSP from Japan? I paid a pretty penny for this and I don't want to risk using the unbricker without expert advice. Please let me know. Thank you so much and thanks for the guide. I have upgraded my original fat psp and star wars psp to latest firmware. Now I wait for the faith of my ff vii psp. Thank you.

Yes it will work fine :)

atari_x99

Woohoo! :D One question before I proceed, they said that USA umd movies wouldn't work on the original Japanese FF VII Crisis Core PSP. Would the custom firmware get rid of region code limitations? Thanks.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Woohoo! :D One question before I proceed, they said that USA umd movies wouldn't work on the original Japanese FF VII Crisis Core PSP. Would the custom firmware get rid of region code limitations? Thanks.

No it does not remove the region code limitations, that's something that hasn't been done yet. There is a setting to fake region, but it is simply for activating firmware features such as P-TV that are exclusive to Japan.

starry

Pardon me for asking, but why must we go through all these steps ( creating pandora battery and magic memory stick ) to install 3.71m33-2 on ur PSP? Is it not possible to not go through all these steps and simply update it like 3.52m33 and 3.71m33.

jletrasi

Doubt in tutorial to create Pandora battery

Hello,

I am a beginner in these matters. I just bought a PSP Slim with FW 3.60.
I want to play games stored in my memory stick and I am a bit confused with all the forums I read...
I saw your tutorial (which I consider excellent) but in step 4 (Pandora battery creation) I have a doubt:
At some point you say:
"...choose the convert to service mode option. DO NOT USE THIS ON A SLIM BATTERY!"
Does it mean that I can't use this procedure in my PSP SLIM? If yes, at which point do I have a Pandora Battery?

Could you please help me to unbrick my PSP so that I can play games from memory stick?

Thank you very much
jletrasi

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Pardon me for asking, but why must we go through all these steps ( creating pandora battery and magic memory stick ) to install 3.71m33-2 on ur PSP? Is it not possible to not go through all these steps and simply update it like 3.52m33 and 3.71m33.

No need... you just need to be running at least 3.52 M33-3 or 3.52 M33-4 to install 3.71 M33.

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=3662

Hello,

I am a beginner in these matters. I just bought a PSP Slim with FW 3.60.
I want to play games stored in my memory stick and I am a bit confused with all the forums I read...
I saw your tutorial (which I consider excellent) but in step 4 (Pandora battery creation) I have a doubt:
At some point you say:
"...choose the convert to service mode option. DO NOT USE THIS ON A SLIM BATTERY!"
Does it mean that I can't use this procedure in my PSP SLIM? If yes, at which point do I have a Pandora Battery?

Could you please help me to unbrick my PSP so that I can play games from memory stick?

Thank you very much
jletrasi

No, that only means the process cannot be done on a Slim battery. You can only convert a regular PSP battery to Pandora. The newer Slim batteries cannot be converted through normal means.