• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Which operating system do you prefer?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
OSX. I always hated Mac until I really started using it at school. Then I realized that it could do almost everything I wanted, only faster and easier. I was willing to sacrifice a few things here and there to have it. But then I bought my Macbook and it had Boot Camp, so I guess I get the both worlds. :) I won't say that Windows sucks, but I definitely will say that Vista and 7 suck compared to XP. XP is just so simple and smooth. When running 7 I just feel like it's too slow. Like they sacrificed speed to make it look 'better', even though I hate the Vista and 7 look.

EDIT: And please, nobody say it's because my computer is slow. I used 7 on my friend's quad-core laptop with 6GB of RAM and a 9800M GTX graphics card.

I couldn't go back to XP. The Fisher Price look is annoying and explorer.exe hangs on nearly any network access I do...so I double click into a network drive and all my explorer windows freeze which is really awkward.
Hell, I couldn't go back to Vista after the performance boost I've gotten from Windows 7.

Windows 7...no doubt

Riorio99

I <3 Vista for some reason.
Got Ubuntu installed as well, but mainly for security/safety purposes. Still fun to use once in a while, but when I'm trying to do some work, I always use Windows, because I know it works and everything is compatible with the computers at school.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
Here's my show-stoppingly long two cents:
I started using computers back in the Windows 95 days, when I was a wee little lad who just wanted to play some sing-along karaoke games. Anywho, once I got to elementary school, I was introduced to the Macintosh LC II (which I now own, which is somewhere around my house). I was immediately fascinated by its vast difference to my PC. I only got a chance to use Macs at school, but it didn't really make a difference to me.
I never had a virus problem with any PCs in my home until I was in middle school or so and started to use the internet more prominently. Up until then, any failures were due to faulty hardware (fans failing, etc). Compared to anyone I knew, my computers were always faster and better than my friends' because my dad knew what he was doing, and he wasn't fucking around when he bought a PC.
In middle school, I befriended a kid that moved to my town from New York City. To this day, he's still my best friend. Well, anyway, Matt always had a Mac. His mom (who owned/worked for movie theatres) got a new one every year (I don't know why), and he'd get her old one. Ever since I saw his first Macbook, I wanted one. They were so quiet, sleek, sexy, and multimedia friendly, which inevitably sold me to buying my Macbook Pro in August.
Before I bought this computer, I had gone in-depth with Windows XP, Vista, and Ubuntu (building the goddamned system from almost scratch after my [2008] laptop's drivers weren't anywhere to be seen online). Being the time I bought my laptop with Vista, I didn't encounter too many problems with it that weren't fixable except for problems with the actual computer itself. I didn't mind Vista all that much, but I still preferred Ubuntu at the time, and had years before I bought the laptop.
Now we're in the present and I would have to say it's a tie between OSX and Windows 7. I fucking hate it when people say that they won't buy into this or that company because of the way the attack the other company, but it's a fucking operating system, knock it off. I'm not gonna hate on Microsoft because Bill Gates' glasses aren't my favorite shape, gimme a break. It's all about how the system operates (hence the "operating system") and what you need from it.
For me, I don't game that much, so it isn't a problem, and I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii, I'm all set for now. I'm in college for acting, so I'd like a system that's easy to carry around, fast to start up, fast to load documents, fast to take notes (and quiet to take notes), and for me, the Macbook does that. I have Windows 7 installed through bootcamp (which had a couple errors at first, but now It's running fine and I enjoy it). Sometimes, I spend days at a time with W7 as my OS. Ultimately, I return back to OSX. iChat's webchat is the fastest I've ever used and I use it to talk to my friend (remember Matt from earlier? Yeah, he has the same laptop as me, and we both run W7, too) everyday. We've tried skype on W7, which is still useable, but given the shitty network at my college, slow as fuck. With iChat, it's like I'm watching a pre-recorded video, and I like being able to rely on it.
I also use garageband religiously. Being in a band, and wanting to compose new music, I can just fire it up and start fucking around with it. It's helped me figure out a few songs that I've wanted to write already, and is a lot more reliable than Audacity (which I still use every now-and-then).
But sometimes I crave a little taste of windows, and I go back to it. My Macbook's good enough to run Left4Dead2, and some other Steam games, which is great for me.
I had Ubuntu installed in virtualbox, but it just wasn't the same as actually booting it, and I eventually removed it.

So, overall, I prefer Mac OSX a tad but more than Windows, but it's all about what I plan on doing at the time.

Access_Denied

So I was just about to triple boot my Macbook. Snow Leopard for everyday stuff, XP for the few Windows apps and 7, just in case I needed it one day. I was going to make a 16GB partition for XP and 7. Wait, that won't work, 7 takes up 15GB of space. That's right, 15GB. Snow Leopard takes up a little over 5GB of space. WTF Microsoft? I know you have to include drivers for 3rd party hardware, but still, 15GB? Calm that shit down and work on some compression. :/

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
So I was just about to triple boot my Macbook. Snow Leopard for everyday stuff, XP for the few Windows apps and 7, just in case I needed it one day. I was going to make a 16GB partition for XP and 7. Wait, that won't work, 7 takes up 15GB of space. That's right, 15GB. Snow Leopard takes up a little over 5GB of space. WTF Microsoft? I know you have to include drivers for 3rd party hardware, but still, 15GB? Calm that shit down and work on some compression. :/

Look up XP mode for Windows 7. I have it on my MBP, it's basically a virtual machine of WinXP, but faster and better.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

This is not a fair comparison. I'm sure they use compression but Apple chooses the hardware for Mac setups so there's no chance of incompatibility. Windows has to include drivers for everything.. even for hardware that is 10 years old.

explosions

This is not a fair comparison. I'm sure they use compression but Apple chooses the hardware for Mac setups so there's no chance of incompatibility. Windows has to include drivers for everything.. even for hardware that is 10 years old.

And yet they refuse to include a driver for my integrated LAN port.

Sypherin

I prefer Windows 7 to everything else at the moment, I used to love Fedora and Ubuntu gone off them now for some reason.

Probably because I cant play most games on them.