• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Which operating system do you prefer?

Colm

I used ubuntu 8.10 and had difficulty with drivers. Yes, that was a year ago and no, I'm not trying again.
However, looking at the success I'm having with Windows XP in Windows Virtual PC, I might VirtualBox a linux installation paralell to my 7 install.

superste2201

I used ubuntu 8.10 and had difficulty with drivers. Yes, that was a year ago and no, I'm not trying again.
However, looking at the success I'm having with Windows XP in Windows Virtual PC, I might VirtualBox a linux installation paralell to my 7 install.

You can actually install ubuntu 9.10 in windows, no partitioning or anythink required, after conceeding in this thread i might give it ago. If i do get any problems its easy enough to unistall in windows.

Its not that i dont like linux, just past problems have put me off it like eran and proberly a whole lot of other people.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Honestly, whatever works.

No one person can say an OS is better or not as good considering not every OS operates the same way and no two people like the same exact things.

IE: macfags

Colm

You can actually install ubuntu 9.10 in windows, no partitioning or anythink required, after conceeding in this thread i might give it ago. If i do get any problems its easy enough to unistall in windows.

Wubi Ubuntu? That's slow. I've ran it on a laptop before and it just isn't worth it.

Honestly, whatever works.

No one person can say an OS is better or not as good considering not every OS operates the same way and no two people like the same exact things.

IE: macfags

QFT. I hate fanboys that claim x is better than anything else, without even attempting to use the competition. Anyone's OS prefrence simply comes down to personal choice.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I love the sheer amount of control that a Linux distro gives you, especially if you make it from scratch with LFS but for all it's benefits, there's the one reason I don't use it for day-to-day activities.

Games.

It can look absolutely amazing and run perfect but if I can't play Counterstrike or Team Fortress 2 or any of the many other games I have on it, then it's of limited use to me.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
QFT. I hate fanboys that claim x is better than anything else, without even attempting to use the competition. Anyone's OS prefrence simply comes down to personal choice.

Well it's does say which do you prefer, not which is better.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Windows. I see no reason to use any other OS because I've yet to find one that does things better than Windows. Unless you're running a server, in which case I prefer Linux. Keep in mind I'm not the minimalistic type. I like and, generally, use everything Windows offers.

That and gaming is a bitch on anything but Windows.

petermartin

Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.

Tommi

Use Windows 7 myself, and I love it.

I loved the fact I just put the DVD in, did usual crap like CD key etc and re-started a few times. I have most of my software on a seperate hard drive and everything worked no problem. I think I was on skype to Granite when I said I was about to do it and was back on Skype about 30 mins later talking again.

Use all sorts of Linux distros. I just kept coming back to Windows. I also used to sell Mac's for PC World a few years back and while they are nice, I can't justify paying the price for one. I think I still have the shirt I used to wear to work when the macbook airs came out in my wardrobe o_O

Raz5

beep = (char) 7;
I dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu as choices.

Windows XP, because of compatibility and gaming.

Ubuntu...because I wanted to try it. It's actually a very nice idea, everything being open-sourced and able to read and write almost every file format, it comes with all the essentials right out of the box. And a virus-free OS is very alluring too.

Ultimately I prefer XP, Ubuntu still has quirks to be worked on. I'll eventually upgrade to W7

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu as choices.

Windows XP, because of compatibility and gaming.

Ubuntu...because I wanted to try it. It's actually a very nice idea, everything being open-sourced and able to read and write almost every file format, it comes with all the essentials right out of the box. And a virus-free OS is very alluring too.

Ultimately I prefer XP, Ubuntu still has quirks to be worked on. I'll eventually upgrade to W7

Just so you don't get hammered by the Linux community, Ubuntu doesn't do that. Linux w/ the GNU tools does. Ubuntu just packaged it together and made it look pretty :).

On that note I'm using Debian and I'll be installing Win7 on my windows partition tomorrow or sometime soon.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Windows. Does what I want and it is the operating system that I grew up with and grown accustom to.
Mac and Linux don't intrigue me just yet, until windows stops doing what I want, I'm a Windows guy.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Windows. Does what I want and it is the operating system that I grew up with and grown accustom to.
Mac and Linux don't intrigue me just yet, until windows stops doing what I want, I'm a Windows guy.

That's why I ended up getting used to Linux.

My old computer just for some reason could not run Windows XP, so I had to use Linux on it, and I just got used to it.

Sliderkk

Windows 7 is ftw

Access_Denied

OSX. I always hated Mac until I really started using it at school. Then I realized that it could do almost everything I wanted, only faster and easier. I was willing to sacrifice a few things here and there to have it. But then I bought my Macbook and it had Boot Camp, so I guess I get the both worlds. :) I won't say that Windows sucks, but I definitely will say that Vista and 7 suck compared to XP. XP is just so simple and smooth. When running 7 I just feel like it's too slow. Like they sacrificed speed to make it look 'better', even though I hate the Vista and 7 look.

EDIT: And please, nobody say it's because my computer is slow. I used 7 on my friend's quad-core laptop with 6GB of RAM and a 9800M GTX graphics card.

Sliderkk

wow my entry level pc just got upgraded to 7 from xp and it runs lika a beast.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I love 7! it idles at ~450-500mb ram! thats on par with my xp computer!