• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Which operating system do you prefer?

z2442

raised on windows so im pretty good with it but im a fan of mac and i rely do like it i got a old ibook g4 the other day and it runs great so id say mac and windows xp

RoBz

sucker
Thread says "Which operating system do you prefer?" and poll says "Which OS are you running?"...WTF DO YOU WANT FROM ME?

Chathurga

Windows by far.

I just don't think linux is ready yet for everyday usage.
I don't like Apple at all, and OSX really needs a mac, so fuck that.

Plus I like to game so...

Thread says "Which operating system do you prefer?" and poll says "Which OS are you running?"...WTF DO YOU WANT FROM ME?

Changed it to prefer.

LocutusEstBorg

Windows and Linux both have their strengths depending on what you do with your PC.

OSX on the other hand has no reason to exist other than to help sell Apple's overpriced outdated junk which they call PCs. Yes I hate Apple. OSX has no real advantages over Windows.

Just because someone decided to make some popular professional Audio/Video package that runs on OSX, it doesn't make the OS good. Just because its based on UNIX doesn't mean people use it to replace Linux servers.

Its just a luxury product, not something that's greatly contributed to the PC and internet revolution like Linux and Windows.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I like both OSX and windows to an extent, but windows wins based solely on compatibility.

P.S. I didn't factor in linux cause i have no interest in learning how to use it.

P.S.S. mac is not an operating system.

Crank

Crank it up!
The fanbase in general sucks. All they know how to do is buy Apple products and bash Windows. IRL.

Yeah, Linux users are the same but a) they don't buy anything and b) they're far more obnoxious.

Seriously, it feels like the whole system is built on hate for Microsoft and Windows. I'd rather hear continuous praise for Linux (or *nix in general), but not that "BOOHOO MICROSOFT IS TRUMPING LINUX WITH ITS MONOPOLY BAWWW" bitching instead of looking into the mirror, actually fucking realizing why people don't care for Linux (netbooks for example, XP doesn't really run all that well on them but people still rather use it instead of Linux) and fixing what's wrong.

This is what makes me ashamed for being a Linux user.

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
I like both OSX and windows to an extent, but windows wins based solely on compatibility.

P.S. I didn't factor in linux cause i have no interest in learning how to use it.

P.S.S. mac is not an operating system.

Well, when I put (Any) I meant OS. :p

@Chat: Thank you for fixing that.

Scorned

The fanbase in general sucks. All they know how to do is buy Apple products and bash Windows. IRL.

The funniest part about that statement, is it's quite the opposite where I'm at.
All people know how to do is "bash" Apple products, or anything involving the Apple logo.

In the end, it goes both ways in that circumstance.

superste2201

Windows, because im a normal person

Not a Geek or a .. erm, who uses mac?

well i use linux on my ps3, and have a few live cds about.

superste2201

That excuse is so old, Linux is not hard to use.

Last time i had a go on linux i had to compile my own drivers and apps from sources. After following a few tut's step by step it still chucked out errors, it was difficult and time consuming. Yes it maybe easy IF all your drivers are included and the apps you need are on the install/uninstall manger, but for me they wasn't.

I use my computer for internet browsing and music mostly (as do most people), linux doesnt have a good flash plugin nor does it play mp3's out of the box.

eldiablov

Contributor
Last time i had a go on linux i had to compile my own drivers and apps from sources. After following a few tut's step by step it still chucked out errors, it was difficult and time consuming. Yes it maybe easy IF all your drivers are included and the apps you need are on the install/uninstall manger, but for me they wasn't.

I use my computer for internet browsing and music mostly (as do most people), linux doesnt have a good flash plugin nor does it play mp3's out of the box.

I'll conceed on the drivers point but for apps, .rpm and .deb or apt-get will take care of all your problems. Linux plays MP3's out of the box with about 10 seconds worth of setting up time. It's all automated too so I dont see your argument.

Crank

Crank it up!
The need to compile your shit depends entirely on the distro.

I am twelve years old and what is this.
Wait, what? You told me you're 18 :-\

superste2201

I'll conceed on the drivers point but for apps, .rpm and .deb or apt-get will take care of all your problems. Linux plays MP3's out of the box with about 10 seconds worth of setting up time. It's all automated too so I dont see your argument.

You dont agree with my about compling apps? I did mean the very few that are not available in a easy to install .deb etc etc.

I cant bare most Linux distros, xorg is a complete mess and just crap. The alsa audio drivers are a pile of crap. It's just crippled by an open source community that would rather argue about the proper way to do something than actually fix it. It's too far down the line to be fixed now imo. I stick with Windows, does what I want and I dont have to go and use a terminal or compile a program to get what I need.

Edit: Am i getting flamed by people that agree with me that windows is the perferred os for everday use and linux is not ready for this, confusing?

eldiablov

Contributor
You dont agree with my about compling apps? I did mean the very few that are not available in a easy to install .deb etc etc.

Edit: Am i getting flamed by people that agree with me that windows is the perferred os for everday use and linux is not ready for this, confusing?

You dislike Linux for the wrong reasons. It doesnt sound like you've used it at all.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
superste: two words: get.ubuntu.

I mean my laptop is the worse piece of crap known to man an Ubuntu supports every single driver out-of-the-box. All those excuses are very 2004 man xD

I personally like both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. I love them both equally. Yes, I am very conflicted.