• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

who is working on hacking the PSPGo?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
pandora is not only the name of the tool to install CFW on a PSP, it's also the name of a completely open portable gaming device made for people who enjoy making and/or using homebrew

Thanks dicemaster :p

Bubbletune

There is a number of reasons why such a thing has not been released yet.

First of all, the only way to get runtime on these new models is through firmware exploits, unlike the previous models which had exploits in the hardware and thus were unfixable without a number of major hardware changes, and as most things are produced in advance, they couldn't just throw the old parts in to the trash, which is also why the pre-ipl exploit used by Pandora and custom firmwares lasted as long as it did.

There is a number of ways Sony can fix firmware exploits, one of them being proper auditing, and the other being fixing the exploits released to the public. It should speak for itself that auditing only has a chance of them fixing it, while public releases make it almost unpreventable. If one were to release an exploit, they would be practically trashing it for further use.

Back when ChickHEN was released, the number of exploits was quite outstanding, and thus there seemed to be a reason to trash an exploit. These days they've been performing so much auditing that finding an exploit has become rare. Now, there is a couple of reasons why a secret exploit has advantages over a released one, as they can be used to dump kernel keys.

It is well known that people using 5.03 ChickHEN are now stuck in the choice between homebrew and the newer firmware features, and the newer firmware features can't be brought to 5.03 for the reason that it's not possible to get the hands on the kernel keys of the new models like the PSP-3000, simply because there's not an exploit to do so.

So, if it is known there are exploits, why weren't they utilised yet to bring these new features to 5.03, but instead for a pointless video*oh the irony xD*? The fact that some people are convinced that when things do not live up to their standard they have every right to insult the people that are developing it for them and go pushing them around, even when everything is provided free of charge. Of course, this doesn't remotely apply to everyone, but this attitude has been around for ages, but it isn't until you start releasing high-end stuff that you realise it. There is people who can handle this crap and just go on releasing stuff, but unfortunately for the nice people around, that is not my opinion, and not the opinion of some other fellow PSP devs around. They keep on developing as a hobby, and truth is that they may just have to zip up a file and release it, but don't do so anymore for the sole reason these few people who are ruining it for the majority might get their hands on it.

To conclude, not releasing exploits is not a revenge but a way to assure future things can be researched. However, the not releasing of stuff that would not reveal exploits could be considered a revenge. If you get really lucky, someone else might do it for you, but the people who used to work on it have been driven away.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Cloudy

There is a number of reasons why such a thing has not been released yet.

First of all, the only way to get runtime on these new models is through firmware exploits, unlike the previous models which had exploits in the hardware and thus were unfixable without a number of major hardware changes, and as most things are produced in advance, they couldn't just throw the old parts in to the trash, which is also why the pre-ipl exploit used by Pandora and custom firmwares lasted as long as it did.

There is a number of ways Sony can fix firmware exploits, one of them being proper auditing, and the other being fixing the exploits released to the public. It should speak for itself that auditing only has a chance of them fixing it, while public releases make it almost unpreventable. If one were to release an exploit, they would be practically trashing it for further use.

Back when ChickHEN was released, the number of exploits was quite outstanding, and thus there seemed to be a reason to trash an exploit. These days they've been performing so much auditing that finding an exploit has become rare. Now, there is a couple of reasons why a secret exploit has advantages over a released one, as they can be used to dump kernel keys.

It is well known that people using 5.03 ChickHEN are now stuck in the choice between homebrew and the newer firmware features, and the newer firmware features can't be brought to 5.03 for the reason that it's not possible to get the hands on the kernel keys of the new models like the PSP-3000, simply because there's not an exploit to do so.

So, if it is known there are exploits, why weren't they utilised yet to bring these new features to 5.03, but instead for a pointless video*oh the irony xD*? The fact that some people are convinced that when things do not live up to their standard they have every right to insult the people that are developing it for them and go pushing them around, even when everything is provided free of charge. Of course, this doesn't remotely apply to everyone, but this attitude has been around for ages, but it isn't until you start releasing high-end stuff that you realise it. There is people who can handle this crap and just go on releasing stuff, but unfortunately for the nice people around, that is not my opinion, and not the opinion of some other fellow PSP devs around. They keep on developing as a hobby, and truth is that they may just have to zip up a file and release it, but don't do so anymore for the sole reason these few people who are ruining it for the majority might get their hands on it.

To conclude, not releasing exploits is not a revenge but a way to assure future things can be researched. However, the not releasing of stuff that would not reveal exploits could be considered a revenge. If you get really lucky, someone else might do it for you, but the people who used to work on it have been driven away.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Well said.

Imagine if Typhoon had released the exploit? If it was a Game mode exploit, it would have been patched INSTANTLY (at least for the Go!) - meaning noone would have been able to use it. That would have been a waste.

Exploits are best kept secret until you know they have already been patched, or you have so many that you can waste some.

hmm thats funny as i dont i think i mentioned an ISO loader or piracy. I do not condone piracy. actually as weird as it may seem i dont even like psp games that much. i would like a HEN for the go so i could have gba, snes and psx games for me to play on a modern portable console. i like a lot of psp homebrew and homebrew would be so good on the go.

It wasn't aimed at you - I have no doubt that you legitimately want homebrew and not an ISO loader - it was just my observation on the scene.

Of course someone may create an ISO loader which will cause piracy not like there isnt alot already. -snip-

It is fact that developers were getting pissed off at the PSP due to the amount of piracy that happens on the console. The new hardware revisions that were seemingly bulletproof did alot to help this perception. If a new model gets opened up to piracy, then its another nail in the coffin for the PSP.

AnalogMan

Currently I only want one homebrew for the Go and that's a Paused Game manager. A simple one that shows the game that's currently Paused, let's me back it up to the internal memory, start a new one, and swap between them. Basically a Save State manager.

I could care less if it was all text based, but if it could pull the game name, icon, and time from the data that'd be sweet too. Whenever I go to use the new Datel Action Replay since it's treated as an update (as it's located in the update folder) the Go deletes all Paused game data in preparation for the 'update'. Kind of a bummer.

Besides, wouldn't an ISO loader for the Go be hard with no UMD drivers to even mount the ISO? I would assume someone would develop an ISO -> EBOOT converting program and you'd put them in the GAME folder like all the legit downloaded game, or PSX games.

n00b81

Currently I only want one homebrew for the Go and that's a Paused Game manager. A simple one that shows the game that's currently Paused, let's me back it up to the internal memory, start a new one, and swap between them. Basically a Save State manager.

I could care less if it was all text based, but if it could pull the game name, icon, and time from the data that'd be sweet too. Whenever I go to use the new Datel Action Replay since it's treated as an update (as it's located in the update folder) the Go deletes all Paused game data in preparation for the 'update'. Kind of a bummer.

Besides, wouldn't an ISO loader for the Go be hard with no UMD drivers to even mount the ISO? I would assume someone would develop an ISO -> EBOOT converting program and you'd put them in the GAME folder like all the legit downloaded game, or PSX games.

Correct. AFAIK, it would be very difficult at least, unless I'm missing something here. But I don't think it would be impossible. My guess is it would involve hooking functions like LoadExec() and such to load the files from the ISO, but that's just my guess :D I suppose anything is possible in kernel mode...

Crank

Crank it up!
Eh, the reason M33 firmwares have an awesome no-UMD mode is because they use Sony's own ISO loader, they just kill the encryption. The Go has one too, it's all a matter of disabling ISO encryption. So yeah, you're missing something there :p

The game EBOOTs you can buy from PSN are just encrypted ISOs packed into a PBP.

n00b81

Eh, the reason M33 firmwares have an awesome no-UMD mode is because they use Sony's own ISO loader, they just kill the encryption. The Go has one too, it's all a matter of disabling ISO encryption. So yeah, you're missing something there :p

Aha ;)

Adiuvo

If any exploit is released chances are it will be released for all models. Why shouldn't Go users be able to use it anyways?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
i just felt like it...i still think the go is unnecessary

Slimmer, lighter, internal flash, bluetooth tethering and with all the predecessors features besides UMD. The 3000 is the one that was unnecessary.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.

Actually...M33 firmwares have used no-umd for longer than Sony has had theirs..it's a different driver.

OE ISOFS was first (If I'm correct, it was in the 2.71 SE's onto early M33's), then M33 driver popped up (By that I mean it was introduced with the M33 firmwares by M33), but it was sometimes unstable so they included oeisofs, then I think it was in the 3.9X's the np9660 driver popped up and I think it was SilverSpring that identified it as an ISO driver.

Crank

Crank it up!
Actually...M33 firmwares have used no-umd for longer than Sony has had theirs..it's a different driver.

OE ISOFS was first (If I'm correct, it was in the 2.71 SE's onto early M33's), then M33 driver popped up (By that I mean it was introduced with the M33 firmwares by M33), but it was sometimes unstable so they included oeisofs, then I think it was in the 3.9X's the np9660 driver popped up and I think it was SilverSpring that identified it as an ISO driver.
While that is (somewhat) correct, you completely misunderstood my post.

The OEISOFS driver doesn't even work properly with most post-2.71 games. It just patched away errors in the UMD driver and hoped it works. The np9660 driver popped up in 3.5x and the M33 No-UMD driver was inspired by the SCE one (readme :p). And the currently used no-UMD is just NP9660 with a couple of patches. That's what I referred to as the "awesome no-UMD mode", not the OEISOFS.

Soplox

Slimmer, lighter, internal flash, bluetooth tethering and with all the predecessors features besides UMD. The 3000 is the one that was unnecessary.

aha, but there is coming the PSP 4000 and this one is the one that will be REALLY unnecessary

Well said.

Imagine if Typhoon had released the exploit? If it was a Game mode exploit, it would have been patched INSTANTLY (at least for the Go!) - meaning noone would have been able to use it. That would have been a waste.

Exploits are best kept secret
until you know they have already been patched, or you have so many that you can waste some.

Exactly cuz we don't even know if there are SONY's employees in the forums informing SONY about everything the scene do

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
aha, but there is coming the PSP 4000 and this one is the one that will be REALLY unnecessary

True. We don't need more HW revisions ffs.

afteralter

S for Surreal
True. We don't need more HW revisions ffs.

Two things that made the Go! < other PSP's are having a slide feature and no UMD drive. =.=

Cloudy

I must admit I was skeptical at first about the Go! - but it's going to get more use than my 2000.

The screen size isn't a disadvantage an quite frankly the change to digital distribution is refreshing -especially with the 16GB of storage. Just bought Final Fantasy 7 - gonna enjoy playing through that.

Hellcat

Contributor
The GO is cool alright!
I haven't regretted a single cent so far I spent on my GO or the PSN games.
It's the lot's of tiny things that - summing up - making it so much fun.

But that's only me again, everyone is entitled to have his own opinion.

you don't like the slide feature?
Personal preference, I'd say.
Like on mobile phones, some like sliderey, some don't....
I (again :p) love it :D

Besides, I never used my PSP much for MP3 playback, it just was too big.
The GO fits nicely into every pocked, use it quite much for MP3 recently.

pukkie

The GO is cool alright!
I haven't regretted a single cent so far I spent on my GO or the PSN games.
It's the lot's of tiny things that - summing up - making it so much fun.

But that's only me again, everyone is entitled to have his own opinion.

Personal preference, I'd say.
Like on mobile phones, some like sliderey, some don't....
I (again :p) love it :D

Besides, I never used my PSP much for MP3 playback, it just was too big.
The GO fits nicely into every pocked, use it quite much for MP3 recently.

Hellcat do you work on a hack or something for it?