• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Kathy's PSP Hacking 101

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Hey guys, I think I'm set for my first hacking attempt. Already backed up my entire MS in case something screws up. I guess this will be my thread for all my n00bie PSP-related questions. :blush:

Based on my scowering in the internet, these are the files I need (please tell me if I'm missing anything):
  • ChickHEN R2
  • 5.03 GEN-C

Ok so here's the thing, my PSP3K actually already came in hacked. In fact, the system info says "5.03 GEN-C (Full)", but since I'll be buying a higher capacity MS, I think knowing how to hack is a handy skill to have. :)

What I did was remove the battery and put it back on. Is that what you call a "hard reset"? After that, the system info only displays 5.03, which probably means I'm back on the OFW. Then I set all settings to default and formatted my MS. At this stage, I think my PSP3K is back to the "manufacturer default" mode. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.

I found this guide on installing ChickHEN R2:
Atma Xplorer - Install ChickHen R2 on your PSP

I think it's fairly easy to follow, but I'm confused with something. In my current hack (done by the store where my PSP was bought), I have the "ChickHEN Mod3" in the MS:\PICTURE folder. I scanned other guides and they all say it should be MS:\PSP\PHOTO.

1) Should I put the ChickHEN in PICTURE or in PHOTO?
2) How is the "Mod3" different from "R2"? Which one is better?

Hellcat

Contributor
1) Should I put the ChickHEN in PICTURE or in PHOTO?
2) How is the "Mod3" different from "R2"? Which one is better?
1) shouldn't really matter, since the PSP reads both
2) Just a (re)naming of the store, I'd guess

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
1) ur psp was hacked that means the files of the 5.03 gen c r already in the flash of the psp

do not reflash ur psp or it will brick (not no for sure) but reflashing must not be done again

start chickhen in new memstick
then run the gen c installer and start cfw do not flash and u r good to go

2.I think L is used to remove cfw from ur flash

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
1)
To flash the PSP, wouldn't I need a Pandora Battery to do that? I don't have it, so I'm not flashing anything right?

Isn't it that 5.03 GEN-C is a temporary CFW and doesn't store itself in the flash memory (NAND?), but rather the RAM?

I think I'm missing something. Can you please elaborate? :)

vince99

french PSP Fan
you don't need pandora !!!!!
Pandora batteries are inoperative on the PSP 3000. (and 2000v3)

you can just install 5.03Gen-c after launching the chickHen (if you are in official 5.03).

PS: sorry, for my english...... i'm a french user... ;)

Bubbletune

1)
To flash the PSP, wouldn't I need a Pandora Battery to do that? I don't have it, so I'm not flashing anything right?

Isn't it that 5.03 GEN-C is a temporary CFW and doesn't store itself in the flash memory (NAND?), but rather the RAM?

I think I'm missing something. Can you please elaborate? :)

While ChickHEN doesn't flash anything and remains in RAM, the custom firmware enablers decided they have to. That doesn't make it permanent, though. Whenever you run the exploit it grabs the files from the flash0, but the system doesn't boot with them. This is done because, in a reboot process (eg. every time you start a game), they cannot access the Memory Stick for these files, at least not with the original driver - they can, however, do so with a custom one, which is what would've been a better implementation than flashing it.

As the flashing does not overwrite/remove anything, it should be safe, at least in theory. Although, on a PSP that can't be unbricked, I would've chosen a different route, you'll have to deal with what you have.

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
you don't need pandora !!!!!
Pandora batteries are inoperative on the PSP 3000. (and 2000v3)

you can just install 5.03Gen-c after launching the chickHen (if you are in official 5.03).

PS: sorry, for my english...... i'm a french user... ;)
Yes, I do know Pandora will not work on the Brite, that's why I was wondering how I can actually "flash" my PSP and cause a brick as DarkGamer was pointing out. Got a bit mixed up there.

While ChickHEN doesn't flash anything and remains in RAM, the custom firmware enablers decided they have to. That doesn't make it permanent, though. Whenever you run the exploit it grabs the files from the flash0, but the system doesn't boot with them. This is done because, in a reboot process (eg. every time you start a game), they cannot access the Memory Stick for these files, at least not with the original driver - they can, however, do so with a custom one, which is what would've been a better implementation than flashing it.

As the flashing does not overwrite/remove anything, it should be safe, at least in theory. Although, on a PSP that can't be unbricked, I would've chosen a different route, you'll have to deal with what you have.
Thanks for the clarification! Feeling a lot more comfortable knowing the GEN-C updater wouldn't cause a brick, in theory maybe, but should most probably work just fine. :)

vince99

french PSP Fan
Yes, I do know Pandora will not work on the Brite, that's why I was wondering how I can actually "flash" my PSP and cause a brick as DarkGamer was pointing out. Got a bit mixed up there.

Sorry, I had not quite translated your post ;).

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Hey vince, no problem! Thanks for trying to help. ;)

Just charging my PSP and off to hacking I go! Will tell you guys what happens next. :D

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

...and S-U-C-E-S-S!! :D

Everything worked great! Thanks guys for your help! I used ChickHEN R2 and it worked, although requires a few retires, so decided to stick with ChickHEN Mod3 (I placed it in the PICTURE folder) because it works just about every time during the first try. The Mod3 has 7 images in total:

6 .jpg (black.jpg, blue.jpg, green.jpg, red.jpg, white.jpg, yellow.jpg)
1 .tiff (slim_mod2)

It's quite different from m0skit0's official Mod2, so I'm not sure if it's the same developer for Mod3.

Here comes another question:
How do I set everything to default for the GEN VSH MENU?

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-31-2010 at 12:17 PM ----------

How much memory does 5.03 support? I wanna buy 32GB if it can support it.

afteralter

S for Surreal
I haven't tried 32 GB worth of space yet. I've tried 8 (works real smooth) and 16 (fine too).

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Thanks afteralter! I just read the PSP officially supports up to 32GB. :)

I wonder which of these would work though:

Memory Stick PRO Duo 32GB
Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX 32GB (high-speed)

Has anyone tested if the PSP supports high-speed memory sticks (even in the lower capacities like 4GB)?

I'm really considering on buying a genuine Sony 32GB and it's quite expensive so being a little more cautious. Hope someone can clarify pretty please?

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Thanks for the input Itanium and the Sony MS site! They have a printable compatibility chart! Very useful. :cool:

Yeah I read Sony and SanDisk became joint partners somewhere in the development of the MS, so SanDisk should be very good too (thought Sony wouldn't risk their name partnering with a sub-par company). That and SanDisk is also a lot more affordable.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Just realized, my MS is SanDisk haha. :D

karnbmx

ceebs. :)
Yeah... Sandisk is THE BEST. Have been running it on the 3000, smooth sailing all the way.... :cool:

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Not even 16GB can be found here. I think it'll take until next year for the 32GB to arrive. xD

For now, I just settled with SanDisk 8GB. Better than what I have now at least.

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Been a while. So I've been checking around and there seems to be this new add-in, Prometheus-3 v2. Haven't installed it yet, but it says it allows you to play games that require higher firmware? Sweet!

If I got it right, the process should be:
ChickHEN >> 5.03 GEN-C >> 5.03 Prome-3

Quick question, does it also get deactivated when the PSP is fully turned off? Do I have to do the whole ChickHEN thing as well?

coyotebean

Quick question, does it also get deactivated when the PSP is fully turned off? Do I have to do the whole ChickHEN thing as well?
There is no permanent solution for PSP-3000 series at this time. Any method will still require re-activating after the PSP if fully turned off.